PDA

View Full Version : Canada's team

JAM26
08-10-03, 08:56 PM
Canada has really rallied behind Team Players this year. This is the headline story on canoe.ca today: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/CART/2003/08/10/158002-cp.html
Tracy and Team Players have been in the news all year.
It breaks my heart this team will no longer be around next year but I'm proud to see the country rally behind them so much this season. It will be a story book year if Players and Tracy take the championship.

Dr. Corkski
08-10-03, 09:11 PM
Now if Gerry Forsythe can learn to keep his mouth shut...

nrc
08-10-03, 10:17 PM
Why? Don't most Candian race fans agree with him?

JAM26
08-10-03, 11:04 PM
I think Gerry was perfectly qualified to make those comments. They were from the heart and he's invested an awful lot into this team. Can't imagine how it must feel to have the plug pulled due to politics.

JT265
08-10-03, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by JAM26
I think Gerry was perfectly qualified to make those comments. They were from the heart and he's invested an awful lot into this team. Can't imagine how it must feel to have the plug pulled due to politics.

Gotta agree J. I have no problem with the advertising ban itself, but it chaps my butt that the phony hand-wringing bastards love to collect LARGE revenue from tobacco tax. :mad:

Dr. Corkski
08-11-03, 02:18 AM
Forsythe is not a Canadian citizen, or resident for that matter. France has pretty stiff tobacco legislations too but I don't see him going off to mouth off about a regime change there. Nor did I see him going off on his own government when their crackdown on B&W was one of the reasons why KOOL is no longer on Champ Cars. Sorry but I don't think it's appropriate for Forsythe to be openly attempting to manipulating a government because of his business interests, especially since he does not even live in that country.

Another thing that is alarming is that, nevermind the all oval league, but how is CART going to keep fielding cars if a top team like Forsythe can't even find sponsors to keep itself going?

Hink
08-11-03, 03:44 AM
Players did a lot for racing and strong Canadian drivers for years. Forsythe brought it up and he can do that if he likes.

Um - Dr Z. - Champcar doesn't race three times in France or even once. (Bad analogy there)

Dr. Corkski
08-11-03, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Hink
Players did a lot for racing and strong Canadian drivers for years. Forsythe brought it up and he can do that if he likes.Which had little to do with Forsythe's outburst. He made a threat to a government that he does not live under, purely because their agenda does not fit his business plans, not because he thought their agenda was fundamentally flawed. He could have just said "it's a shame that Canadian drivers and fans will be the ones suffering because of the laws, etc..." :thumdown:

Originally posted by Hink
Um - Dr Z. - Champcar doesn't race three times in France or even once. (Bad analogy there) So the tobacco laws are only flawed if they affected Jargon Joe's buddy, or are they flaw because they actually create more problems be trying to be a solution?

Turn7
08-11-03, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Which had little to do with Forsythe's outburst. He made a threat to a government that he does not live under, purely because their agenda does not fit his business plans, not because he thought their agenda was fundamentally flawed. He could have just said "it's a shame that Canadian drivers and fans will be the ones suffering because of the laws, etc..." :thumdown:

So the tobacco laws are only flawed if they affected Jargon Joe's buddy, or are they flaw because they actually create more problems be trying to be a solution?

Threat?? What threat? All he said was that he hoped the citizens of Canada will let their voice be heard and get rid of those that make stupid laws. That is not a threat, it is a wish.
Hell, it is my wish as well. Not only for Canada but, for everywhere. Does that mean that I have threatened the entire world in your view?

I don't see what tobacco advertising is doing to harm the public. I can almost guarantee that everybody has had someone in there family or circle of friends that has battled a disease brought about by smoking or tobacco use. If that isn't deterant enough for the person to quite using tobacco, they are not going to stop. Advertising isn't aimed at non smokers but at the people that are stupid enough to continue to smoke after knowing the facts.

racer2c
08-11-03, 10:21 AM
There's a CART race in France?

rabbit
08-11-03, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Advertising isn't aimed at non smokers but at the people that are stupid enough to continue to smoke after knowing the facts. Bingo.:thumbup:

Originally posted by Dr.Zhivago Another thing that is alarming is that, nevermind the all oval league, but how is CART going to keep fielding cars if a top team like Forsythe can't even find sponsors to keep itself going? What makes you think Forsythe doesn't have a sponsor for next year? I'm not alarmed. And I think Gerry had every right to say what he did. In fact, I applaud him for it.

Chaos
08-11-03, 02:32 PM
Advertising isn't aimed at non smokers

i used to agree with the argument that Tobacco advertising is aimed at smokers, and trying to get them to change brands.

I'm not so sure of that anymore. After a short period of time, a smoker will stick with a particular brand for years. Advertising becomes almost ineffective on them.

So when is a good time to attract those to your product? When they're starting. And they're starting young (early teens) when the facts of smoking have no impact on them.

Just a thought.

Turn7
08-11-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
i used to agree with the argument that Tobacco advertising is aimed at smokers, and trying to get them to change brands.

I'm not so sure of that anymore. After a short period of time, a smoker will stick with a particular brand for years. Advertising becomes almost ineffective on them.

So when is a good time to attract those to your product? When they're starting. And they're starting young (early teens) when the facts of smoking have no impact on them.

Just a thought.

I actually think that Mickey D's and other fast food places are doing the youth more harm than tobacco companies are. They package high cholesterol, trans fatty foods in packaging directly marketed towards children from 2-11 years old.

Lizzerd
08-11-03, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
I actually think that Mickey D's and other fast food places are doing the youth more harm than tobacco companies are. They package high cholesterol, trans fatty foods in packaging directly marketed towards children from 2-11 years old.

Perhaps true, but children from 2-11 don't buy their own meals, nor do they decide what they eat. It is the adults (parents) that eat that stuff that are responsible, and they should know better than make a Happy Meal a regular ingredient of their or theie kids' sustenance.

I've just made myself hungry for a Big Mac. Nah...

Chaos
08-11-03, 06:42 PM
the problem with tobacco advertising (or any promotion of a good/service that has questionable benefits) is that we have a biased opinion about it. It's ok in auto racing because we are in some way benefitting from it (as fans), and more less ignoring the drawbacks.

On the same level, you could compare it to having a criminal on your favorite pro team. If he helps your team win, you more less turn a blind eye to his wrong doings.

It's a touchy subject to say the least.