PDA

View Full Version : ON RPM, Miller Mentioned Paul Newman As A Potential Backer

Jag_Warrior
08-10-03, 01:30 PM
I tuned in late, so I don't know where Robin got that info. But that's great to hear. Having Cool Hand Luke backing something that you've always enjoyed... well, just makes it seem that the series still has a fighting chance. I hope it's true.

pfc_m_drake
08-10-03, 06:23 PM
I saw that as well. I was riding my stationary bike at the time, so I was only half paying attention, but I believe they also mentioned Paul Gentilozz and Kevin Kalkhoven as possible partners.

I think there was also mention of a 16 or so race schedule for next year. Additionally, I believe they indicated that Milwaukee would likely be the only oval.

That's about what I got out of it. Hopefully somebody had a better ear on things and can fill in the gaps!

Dave99
08-10-03, 10:11 PM
I think RM also said that CART would forego the European races next year. It seems Australia will be the only race outside North America.

Factor-in Gerry's impromptu speech after today's race and one wonders whether CART will even make it back up to Canada for next year as well.

JoeBob
08-10-03, 10:53 PM
Forsythe just wants to keep the money rolling in, and Player's wants to keep on advertising their product.

They're going to take every opportunity they get to try and convince the Canadian public to allow tobacco advertising to continue. The crocodile tears at the Toronto farewell extravaganza was just the opening salvo of their PR war.

jons
08-10-03, 11:02 PM
Yes, Gerry's speech was surprising. I would guess that he was playing a little hardball, but who knows. Even though Players is a long time supporter. At the moment, they are the sole Tobacco sponsor in the series. Actually, I was thinking about these new laws and even though I don't smoke and know all the harm tobacco has done to people and the tremendous cost in medical expenses, I really think it is wrong to have a witch hunt mentality about tobacco advertising if the products are legal to buy in most any store. Don't even get me started about the dumb ass's who have started smoking since all the world found out how bad it is for you.

JT265
08-10-03, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Forsythe just wants to keep the money rolling in, and Player's wants to keep on advertising their product.

They're going to take every opportunity they get to try and convince the Canadian public to allow tobacco advertising to continue. The crocodile tears at the Toronto farewell extravaganza was just the opening salvo of their PR war.

Here's a deal for them JB. Imperial Tobacco, which is the parent co. is majority owned by Imasco, which among other things owns the largest drug store chain in Canada (Shoppers Drug Mart) <-hook 'em and heal 'em should be their logo. ;)

Anyway, they should get Imasco to flip the 20 large or so to run the team, and they can still have their Ciggy girls pass out freebies and such, as well as discount nicotine patchs, headache remedies, and maybe even Depends.

That'll be $5.00. :D

Chaos
08-11-03, 12:01 PM
I suspect Forsythe is frustrated because ChampCar is having a hard time putting sponsorship on cars, and now you have a law that prevents a company (who is more than happy to invest quite a large sum of money) from sponsoring a ChampCar.

devilmaster
08-11-03, 12:10 PM
Ya know, I knew it was a sign of a good weekend when i woke up saturday mornin and flipped channels to catch 'Colour of Money'. (its the only movie I can stand Tom cruise in).

Still one of my favorite Newman movies. :thumbup:

Steve