PDA

View Full Version : CART Shuffles Stewards

JoeBob
08-09-03, 10:43 AM
Is this a demotion for Chris Kniefel? It sure sounds like it.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6800

LEXINGTON, Ohio (August 8, 2003) - The CART Champ Car World Series announced a revision today to its Competition Department organization and to its panel of competition stewards, shuffling the duties among the current staff in order to capitalize on the strengths of the individuals in the paddock and in Race Control.
The shuffle of the lineup more accurately describes the race-day duties of CART's officials into the categories of Race Director, Clerk of Course and Stewards.

Director of Competition Chris Kniefel will serve in the new position of Race Director, and will be responsible for calling the race as well as any procedural issues. John Anderson will move from pit lane to the tower and will join Beaux Barfield, Jim Swintal and Tony Kester as stewards responsible for judgmental officiating calls. The stewards will also act on any observed violations. Jim Swintal will be responsible for giving all direction to the course marshals during an event as Clerk of Course. The stewards will oversee all CART series and all changes are to go into effect immediately. In addition, the restructuring of the staff means that the position of Chief Steward no longer exists.

"After putting a new team together, this is the next logical step in building a strong unit to officiate our events," Kniefel said. "Having a veteran guy like John Anderson that has been on the team side of things for many years, helps balance out our team and gives us a fuller perspective over what happens on the track."

Veteran Billy Kamphausen will assume control of pit lane while Anderson will remain in charge of both pre- and post-session technical inspections. Kniefel and Anderson will be in charge of the driver meetings and Anderson will also oversee any post-event meetings that may be necessary.

Effective immediately, all drivers involved in any race incident that requires the attention of the stewards will be required to report to the CART stewards after the event, and shall remain at the circuit until dismissed by CART stewards.

pfc_m_drake
08-09-03, 12:34 PM
Once upon a time I posted in another place that I was worried when Irene Chambers, Gary Barnard, and Wally Dallenbach were all going to be absent this year. Additionally, although I'm sure that Jim Swintal does an outstanding job in Race Control, he belongs in the starter's stand flagging the field.

I think that most would agree that the racing this year has been pretty good...it's unfortunate that the same can't be said of the officiating. I wonder if a few key people in a few key places wouldn't have resolved that.