PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who is annoyed with...

Chitowncartfreak
08-08-03, 01:01 PM
...the IRL's over-use of the phrase "Indy-Style" in every freakin' press release?! I don't know why, but it really drives me crazy!!!:mad: :flame: :mad:

racer2c
08-08-03, 01:22 PM
Everything about the IRL drives me crazy. They've never done anything right. I wonder how Tony sleeps at night?

Chitowncartfreak
08-08-03, 01:28 PM
You're right - the IRL in total drives me crazy, but the phrase "Indy Style" sends me over the cliff!!

sundaydriver
08-08-03, 03:36 PM
I have always thought that the term "Indy Car" sounded hookey and stupid. Why would you name a type of car after a city? WTF. :gomer:

But, it's not surprising that the morons at 16th and Georgetown could not come up with a better name. Maybe it's because of a genetic brain disorder with the Hulman family or maybe it's because Champ Car was already taken. :D

Railbird
08-08-03, 10:04 PM
The term "Indy" first appeared in the Beach Boy's hit single "Fun Fun Fun" released 2/3/64.

Well she got her daddy's car
And she's cruisin' through the hamburger stand now
Seems she forgot all about the library
Like she told her old man now
And with the radio blasting
Goes cruising just as fast as she can now

And she'll have fun fun fun
'Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes the T-Bird away)

Well the girls can't stand her
'Cause she walks looks and drives like an ace now
(You walk like an ace now you walk like an ace)
She makes the Indy 500 look like a Roman chariot race now
(You look like an ace now you look like an ace)
A lotta guys try to catch her
But she leads them on a wild goose chase now
(You drive like an ace now you drive like an ace)

And she'll have fun fun fun
'Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes the T-Bird away)

Well you knew all along
That your dad was gettin' wise to you now
(You shouldn't have lied now you shouldn't have lied)
And since he took your set of keys
You've been thinking that your fun is all through now

But you can come along with me
'Cause we gotta a lot of things to do now

And we'll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
And we'll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)

The drag racers of the mid sixties used it in referrence to the US Nationals held in Clermont Ind.

By the late sixties the term "Indycar" started bouncing around as pitlane slang.

Anton Hulman evidently despised the term Indy and certainly had no time for a ChampCar being called an Indycar.

In the mid to late seventies Indycar became more common as the mainstream press searched for a simple descriptive term to use in racing articles. Knowing nothing of the "National Championship Trail" that spawned the term Champcar, they tended to focus on the one race a year they were forced to attend by their editors.

That's little history and now here's a little quiz:

Why did CART adopt and pay to use the term Indycar?

Why do the promoters of the Canadian and Australian rounds of the CART championsip still pay to use the term "Indy"?

and one for the lurkers:

Why did the Pope of the Pogoda agree to sell the rights to a term that many IRL fans consider sacred?

My answer to all above is simple.

Everybody from Bernie to France to TG to Pook to Ted Johnson to Don Panoz are all a bunch of money grubbin', headline grabbin, power trippin sleaze bags.

and they keep colecting my cash.

go figure

Chitowncartfreak
08-09-03, 10:58 AM
To clarify, I don't have too much of an issue with the term "Indy Car". What bothers me is when the IRL uses the term "Indy Style" when referencing a former CART driver's victories at a former CART venue at which the IRL now races. For example, Little Al's victories in CART are no longer considered CART victories - they classify them, along with his IRL wins, as Indy-Style victories.

I know I'm making too much of this, but it's the little things that drive me up the wall.

scanman
08-09-03, 11:56 AM
Doesn't bother me at all.....the only info I get on the earl
is when I come to the CART boards....it doesn't exist to me...:mad:

Treeface
08-09-03, 08:08 PM
"CART by any other name would smell as sweet." A crapwagon OTOH :laugh:

Gurneyflap
08-11-03, 06:40 PM
Well, it finally happened for me, too...I had NO idea there was even a race at Gateway Sunday. When I saw the results on the sports ticker-thing it was like, "Oh..." And, you see, I'm a TRUE race fan. That sort of makes the whole thing very sad...I think.

Railbird
08-11-03, 08:06 PM
What bothers me is when the IRL uses the term "Indy Style" when referencing a former CART driver's victories at a former CART venue at which the IRL now races. For example, Little Al's victories in CART are no longer considered CART victories -

While both series can be somewhat guilty of that kind of stuff, the Aljr deal gets a little old. No one seems to want to talk about him being mainly a street course hero when he was rolling up his wins. That and the Mikey adulation in the early part of the season was just a litle more than one could bear all things considered.

Hink
08-12-03, 01:08 AM
Thanks Bird. I never realized that song was about Mari Hulman.

RaceChic
08-13-03, 10:23 AM
They say "Indy-Style" because they are nothing but a cheap imitation of the real deal that once was. :flame: