View Full Version : Canadian GP Kaputz, Gone, Finished

Barton
08-07-03, 04:53 PM
:( :flame: :flame: :thumdown: :thumdown:

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=49822

Dumbest move ever, I say.

Ankf00
08-07-03, 05:12 PM
But hey, you know how badass Bernie would make CART, Pollock too, I mean, with priorities like those guys have, who WOULDN'T love the series they run?! :rolleyes: :shakehead:

A very popular F1 round with a track which isn't the most kick butt layout but DOES provide for good racing and overtaking, gone. But a track in the middle east which can't even get $ from it's local government because of disapproval of western and F1 lifestyle, is on. Frikkin' A dude.

Don Quixote
08-07-03, 05:13 PM
Very bad. Not to make this a "me" thing, but this race fan is never going to put a dime in TG's pocket, so there goes my best chance to see a F1 race live. :(

Lizzerd
08-07-03, 05:30 PM
The rule of unintended consequences applies.

The self-righteous, I-know-better-what's-good-for-you-than-you-do, elitist, do-gooders probably had no idea what their past actions have wrought.

This whole smoking ad ban around the world is just plain silly. I'm a smoker, but it sure as heck wasn't an ad that made me start, and anti smoking ads aren't doing a very good job making me quit. The pols, around the world, that buckled under the pressure from these geeks to ban tobacco ads make me want to just pack up and move to Mars.

Turn7
08-07-03, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
Very bad. Not to make this a "me" thing, but this race fan is never going to put a dime in TG's pocket, so there goes my best chance to see a F1 race live. :(

Something tells me that is what they are trying to force you to do.

Wheel-Nut
08-07-03, 05:48 PM
Is it off for 2004? The following quote from the story has me thinking otherwise.

``So basically what that means for next June's event is that Michael Schumacher's Ferrari could not sport Marlboro's colours and Jacques Villeneuve's car could not have Lucky Strike on it.''

And then there is this fromthe story.

The legislation was announced in 1997 and Legault told a news conference the Montreal race has had a seven-year grace period before tobacco sponsors had to be dropped. Legault said organizers made their decision based on the legislation.

1997 + 7 year grace would mean 2004 is on.

I'm confused.

Barton
08-07-03, 05:59 PM
It's out for next year... no 2004 Canadian GP. 1997 was a part of that grace period, so that means this is its last year. (97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03)

Chaos
08-07-03, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote

I hear ya. I was set to go to Montreal next year in fact. It was the first time in a while my schedule allowed it. But alas...BE is a little s****.

Fenster
08-07-03, 06:33 PM
To quote Adam Corolla: re-frickin'-****-ulous. I was so happy to hear that Spa is coming back. I guess it is take one and get one back. Maybe Bernie set the record with Spa. He'll try it again with Canada.

Oh well... let CART benefit from the race-needy crowd that has been nabbed of their F1 show. Let them embrace CART with open arms in its place.

--Fenster.

TedN
08-07-03, 07:29 PM
I will believe this story when I see the final 2004 schedule, IN OCTOBER. Lots can happen before then.

Ted

Ankf00
08-07-03, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Fenster
To quote Adam Corolla: re-frickin'-****-ulous. I was so happy to hear that Spa is coming back. I guess it is take one and get one back. Maybe Bernie set the record with Spa. He'll try it again with Canada.

Oh well... let CART benefit from the race-needy crowd that has been nabbed of their F1 show. Let them embrace CART with open arms in its place.

--Fenster.

the difference is is that bernie the greatest wank on earth owns the rights to "belgian GP" as well as some properties around spa, so spa is back and will stay... whereas Legault's franchise gets to keep the money from sales from his GP, one of the few GP's to do so... so much easier to give montreal the axe despite the world class, most excellent atmosphere by fans who would put entire nations to shame

eiregosod
08-07-03, 10:35 PM
F1 can have their crappy GPs elsewhere around the world!

Ankf00
08-08-03, 03:09 PM
http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=B0F09574-6395-45B3-A584-3AE8D4A80DC2

Bernie's denying that anything's been decided on the race or concerning the entire 2004 circuit.

Climber
08-08-03, 10:37 PM
Bernie may not have decided, but I'm not sure it's completely up to him, although I'm sure he'd be shocked to hear this.

On another level, this is tragic news - almost as bad as losing Spa this year, if only for a year.

JT265
08-09-03, 11:49 AM
Bernie can bite me.

Now I wish he would hurry up and "save" CART. ;)