PDA

View Full Version : Pook is after Audi and Porsche

DjDrOmusic
01-16-03, 03:33 PM
Here's the link:http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21687&s=54:D

mnkywrch
01-16-03, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't Porsche get more bang for their buck in sports cars?

I'm aware they have a history in F1 and CART, but I don't think of Porsche when I think of open wheel.

(Of course, I don't think SUV when I think of Porsche... :shakehead )

Audi... perhaps. They've proven all they can in sports cars, really...

Napoleon
01-16-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Wouldn't Porsche get more bang for their buck in sports cars?

Couldn't you say the same thing about any car manufacturer.

ChrisB
01-16-03, 04:09 PM
Gee... ya think those 2 would rather build NA or turbo motors?

:D

Ziggy
01-16-03, 04:12 PM
Historically, Porsche comes into a series for tech reasons. If CART were to allow Four Wheel Drive, Im sure they would look into it.

Porsche loves to race, it's a foundation of the firm. Many of the message board set are of the opinion that Porsche only comes on board when the pickings are easy. I scoff at these thoughts. Porsche has very deep roots in all forms of racing. It is their business

Ziggy

mnkywrch
01-16-03, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Couldn't you say the same thing about any car manufacturer.

Well, I don't think of Sports Cars when I think of, say, Dodge, or Chevy, or Yugo for that matter...

If it makes you feel any better, Porsche is the only manufacturer who I feel is pretty much linked to sports car racing.

Ziggy
01-16-03, 04:17 PM
When the 1.5 litre engines were announced way back when In F1,(1962)? Porsche signed on, and won a race or two. They are primarily noted for SportsCar endeavors, but they will go to any series where there is either something to be gained in technology,and or sales. Either whole cars or tech.

Ziggy

Peter Venkman
01-17-03, 05:14 PM
I have to go along with Ziggy on this.

I remember the Porsche 917 challenging the Ferrari 512, and they didn't shirk from that fight.

They would be there to win.

Gurneyflap
01-17-03, 07:18 PM
...but not in NA V-10s!

pchall
01-17-03, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
When the 1.5 litre engines were announced way back when In F1,(1962)? Porsche signed on, and won a race or two. They are primarily noted for SportsCar endeavors, but they will go to any series where there is either something to be gained in technology,and or sales. Either whole cars or tech.

Ziggy

This sounds like the Porsche I grew up reading about and finally seeing on the track at Watkins Glen in 1970.

There is only one great race left and Porsche has won that numerous times. They need a racing playground that both will enhance their reputation and give them something to sell both for the track and the street.