PDA

View Full Version : Cool shot

RichK
08-06-03, 06:27 PM
http://www.surfshooter.com/SRB%204.9.03/SRB%204.9.03-04.jpg

This one seems to be spreading across the 'net fairly quickly, with the description that it is a shark. The photographer debunks this here: http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html

RaceChic
08-06-03, 07:12 PM
I'm a SCUBA diver and water just magnifies everything. Can make for some pretty scary dives at times!!! :laugh:

Cam
08-06-03, 10:01 PM
As an old yachtie, there was always a serene peace on the boat watching the dolphins surf the wake of the boat along with us.

They are probably more intelligent than we are. :cool:

turn1
08-06-03, 10:16 PM
Still looks damn wicked! It would have been a stinky wetsuit for me!

Climber
08-06-03, 11:43 PM
If I were the guy on the surfboard, "dolphin" would not be the first word to come to mind!

RacinM3
08-07-03, 03:46 PM
I see those all the time, only down here, they're porpoise. Dolphin and porpoise have horizontal tail fins, like the one in the photo. You see a vertical tailfin, you get the hell out of the water.

IlliniRacer
08-08-03, 10:12 AM
About 5 years ago my wife and I were visiting her sister in Charleston, SC. We had a nice little vaction house on the beach on Folley Island. After talking with a couple of the locals, they thought that I needed to learn to surf. I picked up on fairly well and was doing really well by the second day. After a wipe out, I get my board and bearings back together and look over and see a fin in the air. My first thought was that another surfer bit the dust. I watched for a few seconds and no one surfaced. Then, I saw a second fin. Now my thoughts are HOLY $**T SHARK. That was quite possibly the faster I have ever swam in my life. When I reached the beach, my wonderful family is laughing at me. "Its just a porpoise" my sister-in-law says. How in the world is a farm boy from Central Illinois supposed to know the difference between a shark and porpoise?

anait
08-08-03, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by IlliniRacer
...How in the world is a farm boy from Central Illinois supposed to know the difference between a shark and porpoise?

Amen to that, brother. :D :thumbup: Manitoba prairie girl here, and I get nervous dipping into our inland lakes. If a pike brushed by my leg, I'd freak right out. Heck, it'd only have to be a minnow. :gomer: