PDA

View Full Version : Keep the turbos

Methanolandbrats
08-02-03, 10:20 PM
Could only go to CART at RA on Friday this year. The sessions reinforced my opinion that there is nothing like the sound of those cars pulling hills under load. From turn 5 to the bridge and from Canada Corner to the bridge they give me goosebumps. Been going there since CART's early days. Been to CanAm, IMSA, F1, NASCAR, and everything else. There is nothing like that sound and formula. I think it is as vital as a variety of tracks to CART'S identity. Thoughts?

Turn7
08-02-03, 10:29 PM
My thoughts, you should have found a way to go to all three days this year. It may be the last at RA.

Methanolandbrats
08-02-03, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
My thoughts, you should have found a way to go to all three days this year. It may be the last at RA. Oh, well thankyou very much. I know that. I've been going for 20 years and obligations called, could'nt do anything about it. How about back to the question.

Turn7
08-02-03, 10:58 PM
What was your question? You asked for thoughts and I gave it to you.

I am not questioning your desire to be there or your past history. Just my thoughts about it. I should be there, Im not. The turbo v8 is a very unique power source and has served longer than it ever was expected to be there. If CART gets a buyer and makes the bell and keeps road courses, then I think the only chance of keeping turbos would be via an I4 engine. That would sound totally different than the v8 engine and you still won't get your sound fix.

I was only implying that one way or another the turbo v8 at RA appears to coming to an end whether CART returns or not.

nrc
08-03-03, 02:50 AM
Unfortunately I don't think CART has much leverage on what kind of engine package they'll end up with. If a couple of manufacturers willing to support the series step up, CART will have to go with the package the they want.

But CART should bare in mind that they have a perfectly good package right now. As long as Ford is willing supply engines CART should insist on a good deal from anyone else that wants to come in. But this point it seems unlikely that CART will be able to have a new package in place for 2005.

KLang
08-03-03, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
My thoughts, you should have found a way to go to all three days this year. It may be the last at RA.

Although contracts seem to be made to be broken these days, Mario mentioned during his press confrence that deal signed was for two years. Hopefully we'll have at least one more year.

scanman
08-03-03, 08:46 AM
What turned me onto champcars was the sound I heard
when I got off the GO train at the Exhibition in 1989 ...
I still got the goosebumps and hair on my neck standing
up when I went to the EX this year....just love the sound...

RaceGrrl
08-03-03, 09:26 AM
There is no sound like the turbocharged Champ Car- a sound so beautiful that it's brought tears to my eyes.

According to what Lopes said at the Town Meeting, the formula is still being discussed and no decision has been made. I'd hate to lose the turbo.

ChrisB
08-03-03, 10:47 AM
That would sound totally different than the v8 engine and you still won't get your sound fix.

That is correct... an I4 will have a much lower pitch than the V8 we're used to.

Here's the equation for engine pitch:

hz = rpm/(60/(cyl/2))

and some examples:

v8 10.4k rpm = 693hz (IRL)
v8 12k = 800 (CART 2003)
v8 15k = 1000 (CART 2002)
v10 12k = 1000 (same rpm for comparison)
v10 19k = 1583 (F1)

As you can see, the V10 limited to 12k rpm will sound just as high as the 2002 V8.

The turbo is essentially a muffler... and I like it too because it makes the decibels much more bearable when at the track... as well as imparting a unique muffled sound... which can easily be duplicated with a high-flow muffler on a V10.

I think it's realistic that a V10 at 12k rpm with a high flow muffler will sound VERY closely to what the V8 turbo does! Things will be OK.

JT265
08-03-03, 11:06 AM
WRT sound, save for that hideous single sided Toyota of by gone years, ChampCars sound absolutely fantastic.

Still, the sweetest sound I have ever heard is the high pitched howl of a Ferrari F1 engine at full song. They still sound as sweet today as they did in the late 60's early 70's.

And no, I don't like chin-boy either. ;)

fourrunner
08-03-03, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by JT265

And no, I don't like chin-boy either. ;)

What's wrong with Jay Leno?? ;)

JT265
08-03-03, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by fourrunner
What's wrong with Jay Leno?? ;)

Too chummy with Jeffy and he don't support CART.

(you asked) ;)

fourrunner
08-03-03, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Too chummy with Jeffy and he don't support CART.

(you asked) ;)

I never thought of that... You are Correct Sir!! :)

Climber
08-04-03, 11:46 PM
I love the sound of Formula 1 cars. It's hard to beat 19,000 rpm in any situation. But, second only to that very expensive alternative, there is nothing better than a CART car's turbo whine and the accleration that comes with it. Lets leave momentum racing to NASCAR and TG's version of it.

Recognizing that CART is currently in not much of a position to dictate to engine manufacturers, I hope the new engine formula{s} don't lose the head-snapping accleration. F1 proves it can be done with a normally aspirated engine. CART needs to follow suit, if possible. Spare me the spectacle of racing cars "getting up to speed."

pfc_m_drake
08-05-03, 07:45 AM
The thing that always appealed to me about the turbo-charged formula (other than the sound) was the platform stability...the ability to keep horsepower in check by reducing boost. From a development point of view, you're able to guarantee engine manufacturers a stable platform on which they can build...or at least it always seemed so to me. CART probably stuck with the 2.65L platform about 2 years too long, but look how long it was indeed viable for.