PDA

View Full Version : HD is cool - CART on HD is way cool!

BMEP
08-01-03, 09:10 PM
I'm watching the replay from today in HD. This is SO very nice!

While it's nice to watch movies (etc.) on HD, watching something like this is REALLY COOL!!!

THANK YOU CART!!!

Ideally, CART could broadcast on network TV in HD. Most network affialiates broadcast both NTSC analog and HD at the same time so everybody could choose the one that's best for them.

Why can't this be done?

I know not everybody has hi def stuff, but if you're thinking about investing in a big TV, spend the extra and get HD - it's really that much better (especially on larger screens). Bars should definitely have HDTV.

Fitti Fan
08-01-03, 10:03 PM
Hmmmmm, don't have it. :(

But hoping to get it real soon! ;)

BMEP
08-01-03, 11:17 PM
You'll probably have HDTV before you know it... :)

fourrunner
08-02-03, 12:38 PM
It's Awesome for sure...I Decided to do work from home Yesterday so I could watch.... Unfortunately The HD TV is in the Living Room, and not my office... So I'll have to play catch up on THAT work I was going to do!! :D

BTW is that Soft Spoken Announcer the guy who does Autoweek on TV?
I thought they hated CART? :)

oddlycalm
08-04-03, 02:55 PM
The commonly accepted theory is that sporting events will drive the adoption of HDTV, just as it did color TV and bigscreen TV before it. I see no reason to think that this theory is wrong. Live events in HD are almost palpable, and coupled with good 5.1-7.1 surround sound, about all you are missing is the smells and the event food.

Although bickering among broadcasters over standards initially held up HDTV implementation, that has mostly been resolved. What is really holding up wide adoption of HDTV now are the few very large cable companies that serve a majority of the population. These companies use draconian compression to pack too many channels into their feed already, and they have zero bandwidth to accommodate HDTV without either building out fiber distribution systems, which will take a very long time if it ever happens at all, or drastically reducing the number of channels offered, something they are loathe to do. I don't see much movement on this in the near future.

oc

Chaos
08-04-03, 06:11 PM
once NFL football goes HDTV, then you'll see it spread like wildfire.

manic mechanic
08-04-03, 10:52 PM
My cable company could dump 80 pounds of crap channels to get the bandwidth for HDTV, but the pursuit of the almighty dollar would get in the way...

Thanks to Paul Allen, I spend almost $100 a month for cable and don't even get broadband net access with it.

I guess he learned from "Uncle Bill" too well. :rolleyes:

Why should plebians like me get the good stuff for my/our money, when THEY can do so much more with those dollars, eh?

BTW, BMEP, don't you have an announcement to make in the near future? :)

manic

Napoleon
08-05-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Chaos
once NFL football goes HDTV, then you'll see it spread like wildfire.

On Monday night football last night they said they will be on HDTV.

BMEP
08-05-03, 12:55 PM
Manic: Nope, no announcements yet... But keep your HDTV tuned to this channel! :)

turn1
08-05-03, 01:45 PM
My cable company carries HDTV, but you need to BUY a special box for around $400. Tempting, but I am going to wait a bit.

Chaos
08-05-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
On Monday night football last night they said they will be on HDTV.

ok ok, ALL games :) i.e. if they sell that the Sunday Ticket as an HD service.

Chaos
08-05-03, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by turn1
My cable company carries HDTV, but you need to BUY a special box for around $400. Tempting, but I am going to wait a bit.

HDTV is expensive on all levels. Gotta get a compatible TV, a receiver, and pay for the service provider... Not worth the investment right now.

BMEP
08-05-03, 08:35 PM
HDTV is expensive on all levels. Gotta get a compatible TV, a receiver, and pay for the service provider... Not worth the investment right now.

Lots of network affiliates are broadcasting digital signals now. Most of the programming isn't HD, but it will be. Popular shows (for example ER) are in HD and 16:9 aspect ratio. If I'm not mistaken, I beleive all TV broadcast stations must have digital capabilities by 2005. I watch HDTV on the 4 major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) for free. Of course, I had to buy the equipment, but since I was really due for a new TV, it wasn't all that much more.

dando
08-05-03, 11:20 PM
On the post about MNF in HD, it was in HD ~3 years ago, but it was before it's time, and the sponsor stopped funding it, so ABC bailed on it.

About the cable issues with carrying HD channels....TW has laid a ton of fiber all over the US...in fact, we have it here in Cbus. However, we don't see ABC, Fox, ESPN, or HD Net coverage because of pissing contests over fees. We do have NBC, CBS, Showtime, and HBO, tho. I understand that most cable companies that offer HD do not carry ESPN HD due to the fee fight.

Lastly, about dual format broadcasts...ya gotta get someone to pay for it. HD cameras are damn expensive, and Speed is not in HD yet. CBS is only willing to do major events (Masters), NCAA Final Four, and the NFL in HD. I sincerely doubt C^RT is willing/able to pay them additional $$$ for CBS/Speed to cover races in both formats (for ratings in the 1.0 range on a good day).

Check out AVSForum.com for more info/help about HD.

-Kevin (C^RThead and AV junkie)

dando
08-05-03, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by BMEP
Lots of network affiliates are broadcasting digital signals now. Most of the programming isn't HD, but it will be. Popular shows (for example ER) are in HD and 16:9 aspect ratio. If I'm not mistaken, I beleive all TV broadcast stations must have digital capabilities by 2005. I watch HDTV on the 4 major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) for free. Of course, I had to buy the equipment, but since I was really due for a new TV, it wasn't all that much more.

Actually, it's the end of '06...got extended a few years ago to the standards issues. Here (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html) is more info on the DTV switch on the FCC Web site. It'll be another 10 years before we're all switched over to HD. :(

-Kevin

dando
08-05-03, 11:34 PM
ok ok, ALL games :) i.e. if they sell that the Sunday Ticket as an HD service.
Sunday Ticket is not an HD offering. Also, as with many of DTV's sports packages, the Sunday Ticket channels are horribly compressed. Frankly, I'm pissed @ the NFL and DTV for Sunday Ticket being an exclusive to DTV. With a regular monthly sub required @ ~$35, Sunday Ticket would cost me $300+ to have that plus cable (better quality and broadband bundle).

Sorry, back to your topic discussion now... ;)

-Kevin

Fitti Fan
08-06-03, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by BMEP
Of course, I had to buy the equipment, but since I was really due for a new TV, it wasn't all that much more.

Due for a new TV? Yeah right! You just wanted that giant screen. I know the other one works just fine!!! ;)

Axel
08-06-03, 12:42 PM
y dont you Highdef wanters just look into going to directv with a high def receiver. You get to pick and choose what channels you want, and the channels before higdef are way clearer than any cable channel.

RA was on channel 79 all weekend and was awesome.
DTV has speed channel and every channel you could ever ask for.
You can get locals for your area as well as the networks for east and west coast.

Plus two years ago Directv was a sponsor on a CART car :)
for Della Penna with drivers Norberto Fontana, Gidley and Barron.

BMEP
08-06-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Fitti Fan
Due for a new TV? Yeah right! You just wanted that giant screen. I know the other one works just fine!!! ;)

Uh, umm...er... no, no... it was bad! It was emitting excessive electromagnetic radiation... yeah, that's it!

Maybe I should just to back to the old one? :p

dando
08-06-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Axel
y dont you Highdef wanters just look into going to directv with a high def receiver. You get to pick and choose what channels you want, and the channels before higdef are way clearer than any cable channel.

More than likely that depends on your cable provider...I've had both digital cable and DTV @ the same time. Some channels are better on digital cable, some (non-compressed) channels better on DTV. Two things clinched it for me: poor quality local channels and rain fade.

-Kevin

Fitti Fan
08-06-03, 11:13 PM
BMEP: What's done is done, we'll just have to live with watching everything on that great big TV with the Surround Sound and this dish and that dish. It'll be hard, but I'm a trooper! ;)

Fitti Fan
08-08-03, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by manic mechanic

BTW, BMEP, don't you have an announcement to make in the near future? :)

manic

Announcement? What announcement? I'm holding onto my socks! ;)

BMEP
08-08-03, 11:09 PM
Ahem... <taps the microphone> I will have an announcement about a major announcement sometime in the next 2-48 months.

At the time of such an announcement I will announce and proclaim with careful annunciation and acclaim some sort of engine plan. I don't actually have an engine plan, but more of a framework for a plan about an engine plan. (Oh, sorry... thought I was CART for a minute)

As far as HDTVs and announcements regarding other (certain) forum members, please stay tuned and helicopter tape your socks to your legs.