PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Cart and Roll??

cart7
08-01-03, 11:42 AM
According to this
Grandprix.com (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11590.html)

and an AR1 rumour. Thanks to the guys at CW who found these.

CW thread (http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7992)

JoeBob
08-01-03, 12:17 PM
Interesting. A quick search of the US Patent and Trademark Office Database found this entry for a pending application for "Motorock" ( http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=76523157 )

Thank you for your request. Here are the latest results from the TARR web server.

This page was generated by the TARR system on 2003-08-01 12:15:48 ET

Serial Number: 76523157

Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mark (words only): MOTOROCK

Current Status: Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney.

Date of Status: 2003-06-20

Filing Date: 2003-06-16

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Law Office Assigned: LAW OFFICE 112

If you are the applicant or applicant's attorney and have questions about this file, please contact the Trademark Assistance Center at TrademarkAssistanceCenter@uspto.gov

Current Location: 011 -Initial Review/Serialization Branch(Mailroom)

Date In Location: 2003-06-20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Motorock LLC

Address:
Motorock LLC
305 Second Ave., Suite 904
New York, NY 10003
United States
Legal Entity Type: Ltd Liab Co
State or Country Where Organized: New York

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES

Prerecorded discs featuring music; prerecorded discs featuring music festivals and concerts, entertainment events and contests in the nature of motorsport competitions, races and exhibitions
International Class: 009
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Basis: 1(b)

Wearing apparel, namely, shirts, T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, tank tops, tops, hats, caps, shorts, jackets, blouses, coats, dresses, bandannas, headbands, wristbands, and swim wear
International Class: 025

Organizing and conducting music festivals and concerts, organizing and conducting entertainment events and contests in the nature of competitions, races, and exhibitions in the field of motorsports; entertainment services in the nature of music festivals and concerts, events and contests in the nature of motorsport competitions, races and exhibitions; entertainment services, namely the production and distribution of television programs, cable television programs, musical and audio programs
International Class: 041

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(NOT AVAILABLE)

PROSECUTION HISTORY

(NOT AVAILABLE)

CONTACT INFORMATION

Correspondent (Owner)
Mark A. Nieds (Attorney of record)

MARK A. NIEDS
MARK A. NIEDS, ATTORNEY AT LAW
1909 WEST BELMONT, SUITE 101
CHICAGO, IL 60657

Phone Number: 773-388-2717
Fax Number: 773-388-3717

Remember, you heard it here first!

cart7
08-01-03, 12:28 PM
Hmmm... uhhh... sounds real interesting. :shakehead If this all shakes out, the new Cart, or whatever it's called, won't resemble the old in any way shape or form. Does't sound to interesting to me. A bunch of street festivals with rock concerts, a circus type atmosphere and a street race thrown in. While they might be able to sell this, I predict a lot of old Cart fans will be gone including me. :(

JoeBob
08-01-03, 12:52 PM
That depends - they've already been doing this at quite a few events. Cleveland has had a big concert the last couple of years, as did Miami last year, and maybe some others as well.

The IRL has been doing this quite a bit as well, so it really isn't anything new.

The only thing that is new is the commitment to do that everywhere.

RaceGrrl
08-01-03, 01:57 PM
Joy. CART gets to be the XFL of racing. An all street series will lose me as a fan, so what good is it to combine racing and concerts if you alienate your hardcore fan base? Doesn't seem very smart to me.

As far as the concerts are concerned, the only music I need to hear is the sweet sound of the turbo engines.

Elmo T
08-01-03, 02:12 PM
I love music. :thumbup:

I love racing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

If I want to combine them, I'll go to any concert in Philly. I get my music and I get to participate in both a foot race in the parking lot and the auto race to I-95 to get out of town. ;)

Seriously though, as long as the focus remains racing, the concerts would be OK by me. As for all street races, that is another story.

pinniped
08-01-03, 03:51 PM
It might not be as strange as it seems. I seem to remember some persons posting threads a few months back about this concept. It seems the demographics are pretty similar for rock music and the racing series, or so the argument goes. So it might attract a few new fans if it works. Who knows if this is legit or just an internet rumor backed up by some guy registering a business name. I say if it happens, give it time to see if it makes sense. If the racing is good, what does it matter?

lone_groover
08-01-03, 07:43 PM
This sounds really stupid. I dearly hope it's mostly just internet exaggeration - even if there some kernal or truth in there.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but most ROCK fans are morons.

trubritz
08-01-03, 08:33 PM
Could be some interesting potential cross-sponsorships tho :)

Limp Bizkit / Dale Coyne
Wall of Voodoo / Fernandez
Talking Heads / Forsythe
Bruce Springsteen / American Spirit

lone_groover
08-01-03, 08:47 PM
Reminds me of the plot to 1987's BODY SLAM, with Dirk Benedict, Roddy Piper, and Capt. Louis Albano.

Sure, it worked in the movies, but Gentilozzi is NO Dirk Benedict!

nrc
08-02-03, 12:35 AM
I'm not a fan of the idea of more street racing. But I'll wait and see.

People tend to get bits and pieces of these things and go overboard with one part of it. This part of the buyout could be a minority partner just interested in getting promotional rights to these kinds of big events.

I certainly hope they're not building the whole thing around Fraggle Rock, or whatever they're calling it. It sounds like a good formula for bad racing combined with bad concerts. Maybe for some people that adds up to a great party, but nobody cares about the circus after they've left town.

JSR
08-02-03, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by cart7
Hmmm... uhhh... sounds real interesting. :shakehead If this all shakes out, the new Cart, or whatever it's called, won't resemble the old in any way shape or form. Does't sound to interesting to me. A bunch of street festivals with rock concerts, a circus type atmosphere and a street race thrown in. While they might be able to sell this, I predict a lot of old Cart fans will be gone including me. :(

I agree. :(

Methanolandbrats
08-02-03, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
This sounds really stupid. I dearly hope it's mostly just internet exaggeration - even if there some kernal or truth in there.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but most ROCK fans are morons. Exactly. Event does not equal racing. A bunch of punks with bolts in their noses driving Hondas and rocking out are not racefans.

racer2c
08-02-03, 10:46 PM
:thumdown:

Barton
08-02-03, 10:57 PM
Is Motorock really going to be the entire series, though? Isn't it more likely to be the name of the Racing-Concert connection? You know, check out the Motorock show this weekend in City as a part of the City Grand Prix. Or check out Motorock this weekend in the heart of Wisconsin in conjunction with the Road America Grand Prix? Come on out to Milwaukee to rock under the lights at Motorock right alongside the Champ Cars, racing in the Milwaukee Mile 250 presented by Team Rahal's Sponsors?

I think Motorock is the name of the concept, not the series. The series will carry on as it has been with possible a few more street courses and have Motorock integrated at each race. Much like they tried to do with the Pioneer Rock 'N Roar series before Pioneer bailed.

rabbit
08-03-03, 08:44 AM
I never thought anything would get me to switch allegiences in the open-wheel war. But if this came to fruition and the IRL picked up Mid-Ohio and Elkhart Lake, well...
:thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

RaceGrrl
08-03-03, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
I never thought anything would get me to switch allegiences in the open-wheel war. But if this came to fruition and the IRL picked up Mid-Ohio and Elkhart Lake, well...
:thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

I think that Barton may be right about the co-promotion, but the thought of CART dropping the natural terrain road courses in favor of more streets is abhorrent to me. Even so, not even this would make me watch the IRL. The idea of crapwagons "racing" on road courses is completely laughable.

pinniped
08-04-03, 12:30 AM
Man! Let me spice things up a bit here and say I thought that doom and gloom was unfashionable on these CART boards! So, if they combine a champ car race with a rock concert, is that bad? I am sure they won't have both going at the same time! Cheer up folks, this could be good. And big!

manic mechanic
08-04-03, 12:51 AM
gee, I wonder where I've seen something like this before...

Long Beach 2001: concert by Third Eye Blind

Long Beach 2002: concert by the Goo Goo Dolls

Long Beach 2003: concert by the Gin Blossoms

Suffice to say that this concept outlived the Pioneer sponsorship, and proved itself little burden to race promoters (or the TGPALB) and might have even brought in a bit bigger Saturday crowd.

You people seem to be opposed to the concept because the target audience are not "hard core" CART fans like we are. I would chance to say that most of us didn't start out as hardcore fans..We had to be exposed to the series at some point.;)

manic

rabbit
08-04-03, 01:22 AM
My comments were not based on the concert thing. They were more in response to an overall trend I see that disgusts me. It's getting to the point where the racing is secondary. :thumdown: CART on nothing but street courses just so they can have a rock concert does not interest me. Don't get me wrong. I like street racing. There is a time and a place for both.

There are no concerts at Mid-Ohio. Just picnic tables and porta-potties. And you know what... I like it that way. :thumbup: I can take my wife and my daughter and have a nice relaxing day at the track. I'm not the partying type, so this "World Party" concept has no appeal to me. I'd go to Mid-Ohio no matter what was racing there. I guess that makes me a place fan. :gomer:

As far as becoming an IRL fan, I never said I would, I just said, "well..."

cart7
08-04-03, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover

Maybe I'm just getting old, but most ROCK fans are morons.

:rofl:

cart7
08-04-03, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by manic mechanic

You people seem to be opposed to the concept because the target audience are not "hard core" CART fans like we are. I would chance to say that most of us didn't start out as hardcore fans..We had to be exposed to the series at some point.;)

manic
I've been a fan since '79, but I wouldn't have been had the series been mostly urban events with a rock concert and uhhh... oh yeah... they're gonna have a race too. :shakehead I can see a support races with Honda civics driven by a bunch of head bangers. PT stage diving into the mosh pit. It's just all too much for me.

RaceGrrl
08-04-03, 09:36 AM
Last year was a banner year for doom and gloom. I don't get the sense that we're a D&G bunch here- we're just realistic and we know what we want. I'm not feeling negative about CART in general. - in fact, I've enjoyed this season very much so far.

I am just not happy at the prospect of losing my favorite natural terrain road courses in favor of street races. There is nothing wrong with combining racing and music, the Train concert in Denver last year was great.

However, there is something wrong with turning your back on a hardcore fan base, such as those who go to the out-of-the-way tracks like MidOhio and Road America. If CART wants a new concept like Motorock to succeed, they need the hardcore fans to spend the money to go to the street races. To do that, you need to keep them happy by hanging on to the natural terrain courses. That's all I'm trying to say.

JT265
08-04-03, 10:07 AM
In my view we all need to chill some until the great eagle craps in our direction. M-O and RA have been scheduling question marks for too many years, and this series CAN'T abandon natural terrain courses entirely and have a snowballs chance in hell of growing and sustaining a fan base.

That being said, I'm far more concerned at the lack of a purchase announcement from the series. The guys chasing sponsor $$$$ are well past the 11th hour, WRT closing deals for '04.

Just my 2 cents, or 8 bucks Canadian.