PDA

View Full Version : New Engine announcement?

patm
01-16-03, 10:33 AM
I recall that CART was supposed to announce engine specs 2 years in advance. With the 03' upon us shouldn't the specs be out there already to give mfg's the two year window? Is this moot if CP and BE have made a deal to use the proposed extended life F1 engines because they already know what those will be?

Having read some of the changes for F1 engines the v10's that CP has proposed make more sense. Based on what Sauber was paying for year old Ferrari engines I could not see where CART teams were going to get the scratch for year old F1 engines.

Comments? Info?

patm

ChrisB
01-16-03, 12:01 PM
Yea... it feels like vuja-de all over again :) I remember Mike Kellner making a post on 7G a while back like: "It's March '01... where's the new engine formula?"

Having read some of the changes for F1 engines the v10's that CP has proposed

Is there any link for what specifically CP or BE may have proposed for future F1/Champ V10's? The things I've read seem very vague. Anyone have anything more specific?

I just don't have a good feeling about going to a V10. Instant "F1-lite" identity. Will a 3.0L NA V10 rev-limited to 12krpm really produce 750hp? If it doesn't, Champcars will essentially have the same hp/wt ratio as Indycars.

And if this V10 is essentially non-compatible with an F1 engine, why use it at all? (same argument as the non-compatible 3.5L V8 last year)

I still think the I4 turbo with high-boost for roads and lower boost for ovals is the way to go. Surely at least Cosworth would be willing to build one.

mnkywrch
01-16-03, 04:15 PM
I would suspect that any engine formula announcement will come with manufacturers already on board.

They won't repeat their debacle when they switched to N/A motors... after their own deadline... with no one lined up to provide them.

patm
01-16-03, 06:46 PM
so when is the deadline? I'd think it would be about now or a better one would of been at the end of last season.

patm

Turn7
01-16-03, 06:51 PM
I would wager that all "theoretical" deadlines that CART puts on itself to have a new engine package established will reamain within the confines of CART. Once the Corp. has a firm commitment from teams and suppliers, then you will hear something. I don't expect this issue to be addressed in public as it was in the past.