PDA

View Full Version : My daughter...10 goin' on 18

rocket
07-29-03, 10:45 PM
So on Saturday night I took her and a friend to see Johnny English. We went to Charlestown Mall, and we were there about 40 min. early. They walked way ahead of me, and when they went into one of the stores I was asked to wait outside. After 20 min. I went in and told them let's get going, so we went down to the theater. After we got all the junk food we went in to sit down. Well Brit and her friend sat down, and when I went to sit there, she just looked up at me and said, "um dad, can you sit somewhere else?" I was like what, why? she just shrugged her shoulders and said, "you know, anywhere but right here." So I went back a couple rows on the other side of the aisle...she said that was fine. I though I was a pretty hip dude, I guess I'm sort of a square now tho.:confused:

It does crack me up how she did that, but it also reminds me of how quickly my girl is growing up. I almost get tears in my eyes when I think of the day I walk her down the aisle, so she can continue life's journey with the love of her life.

I'll always be there for her...I'm sure she knows it.

chop456
07-29-03, 10:57 PM
How funny is it that the one person who could boss you around comes up to your kneecap?

I'll be in the same boat soon. Right now, it's just my wife that's like that. :D

RaceGrrl
07-29-03, 11:58 PM
You're kidding right? Everyone only reaches Rocket's kneecap!

mello
07-30-03, 05:41 AM
You should have sat in front of her. That would have taught her to not ask you again. LOL

paper
07-30-03, 06:52 AM
wiat til 16... then guys like "RACE CAR DRIVERS" think shes early 20's. thats kinda fun, but really a reminder of how quickly things change. her first race at sebring, and her 3rd overall, she, my son and the "paper", are walking along and someone calls her name out. Who the hell do you know here? took me years to have that happen. Oh well ,,,,, paper,,

Turn7
07-30-03, 08:48 AM
Rocket,

I know what you mean....mine is 11 going on 20.

GG

rabbit
07-30-03, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by rocket
I almost get tears in my eyes when I think of the day I walk her down the aisle, so she can continue life's journey with the love of her life.My daughter (now three) was a minature bride for a friend's wedding whe she was two. I had to walk her down the aisle during the rehearsal and started getting all choked up. I leaned over, kissed her on the head, and told her, "You're not getting married 'til you're 30."

A guy can dream, can't he?

trubritz
07-30-03, 12:05 PM
Oh the joys of fatherhood :)

My daughter is 15 going on 20+ - she loves listening to my eighties music when none of her friends are here, but as soon as they arrive its "Dad, please don't play that music.".

FTG
07-30-03, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't worry. Girls these days don't get married. They shack up with guys they meet at bars and see how things work out.

Pretty much the only time they get married is if they get knocked up.

Sean O'Gorman
07-30-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FTG
I wouldn't worry. Girls these days don't get married. They shack up with guys they meet at bars and see how things work out.

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

If I were you, I'd watch my back at the next CART race I attended! ;)

trubritz
07-30-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FTG

Hmm, you might want to stay away from my zip code FTG;)

FTG
07-30-03, 02:21 PM
You can't handle the truth.

(And I thought I was being nice by not mentioning the statistics on teenage drug use.)

RaceGrrl
07-30-03, 02:28 PM
Hey, sometimes the daughter ends up with the guy their Dad hated, and Dad has to acknowledge that he was wrong. :)

tllips
07-30-03, 02:59 PM
My daughter is only 2 1/2 and I have recently gotten "Go Away Daddy!" :saywhat: a couple of times when she wants to play with cousins or one of her aunts.

But, yesterday, my wife told me that she gave her a "Go Away Mommy!" yesterday to play with Aunt Darlene. So I know I'm not the only one shunned. :rolleyes:

trubritz
07-30-03, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by FTG
You can't handle the truth.

(And I thought I was being nice by not mentioning the statistics on teenage drug use.)

FTG, I can handle the truth. BTW, you know what they say about statistics - if not ask Bart Simpson.

ncmlj
07-30-03, 05:19 PM
she loves listening to my eighties music when none of her friends are here, but as soon as they arrive its "Dad, please don't play that music.".

Cracked up where I sit when I read that. I was listening to the Beatles the other day and daughter is singing along, I asked her you like this? She replys yes, but I wouldn't tell my friends. I just looked at her and said HUH

Barton
07-30-03, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by trubritz
FTG, I can handle the truth. BTW, you know what they say about statistics - if not ask Bart Simpson.

Yes, you rang?

Oh, Bart Simpson. My bad. ;)

And on the subject of teenage drug use... way too many do it, and I've got a solution to the problem. Unfortunately, it won't go over well with The Man, so I better not post it here. You never know where The Man is lurking.

:D

Climber
07-31-03, 12:42 AM
You guys reminded me of how much I love my sons. Not that I wouldn't love a daughter, it just seems like a lot more work. :)

cart7
07-31-03, 08:58 AM
My just turned 21 year old came over with his wife of 6 month's to tell us we're about to become Grandparents in 8 1/2 month's. Not only did I think my kid was too young to get married, I think he's way too young to be having a kid. Oh well, I wished him and his wife good luck and I'm looking forward to having kids around that I can send home with they're parents when I'm done with them.

It's funny how I thought I would never be the kind of parent like mine were that I would want to ditch a every chance, that I'd be too cool for my kids to want that. I was wrong. Kid's are kids and Rocket, you're just the old man who pays the bills. Enjoy her while she's still young. :D

DjDrOmusic
07-31-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Hey, sometimes the daughter ends up with the guy their Dad hated, and Dad has to acknowledge that he was wrong. :)

GRRL that is not a true statement!! My father in law has never admitted that he was wrong!!;)

Rocket, I'm going through a lot of this right now myself, and the really bad part is that everytime I play at a wedding reception, and the father/bride dance uses Butterfly Kisses, I start crying.