PDA

View Full Version : Report from Cleveland

Napoleon
01-16-03, 09:50 AM
While waiting for the report from our man on the scene (well not so much a man but a furry little rodent like creature) I thought I would post a link to the local newsradio station which has said that they would air a report about the announcement. The station is news until 9 am with updates top and bottem on the hour and the mid day report 11:30 to noon.

http://www.wtam.com/main.html

Here is a direct link to audio

http://www.wtam.com/jacor-common/streaming_disclaimer.html

Napoleon
01-16-03, 10:03 AM
WTAM 1100 confirming the announcement is a night race and the race "weekend" will be 7/3 to 7/5

chop456
01-16-03, 10:06 AM
I just tuned in for a one-sentence announcement? :D

Cool! I guess there will be a big fireworks show after qualifying (nighttime qualifying I assume). Plus a concert or something.

Wish I could make it.

Napoleon
01-16-03, 10:29 AM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5385

Don Quixote
01-16-03, 10:40 AM
Twenty-two generators? :eek: What's that buzzing sound in my ears? Make it go away! Maybe I am being a bit optimistic, but it seems that they will need more grandstands for this race. Fourth of July weekend, fireworks, night race, what could be better?

Hardpoint
01-16-03, 11:28 AM
If this all becomes a reality, count me in. That sounds like a blast.

Napoleon
01-16-03, 11:34 AM
Our intrepet man, er, rodent, on the scene has filed his report and also gave me a call on my cell phone. Below is a cut in past from his e-mail which represents raw notes of his. I haven't reviewed it yet but assume it contains everything he told me on the phone, although I will repeat one thing he told me, that Pook was really pumped and it sounded like Adam Seal (sp?) was in a very positive mood about the series.

"Here it is.
Paraphrasing…..
BUD STANNER – IMG
Wonderful news for City of Cleveland
Fill hotels and rest because of truly unique event
Largest sports venue illuminated specifically for nighttime competition
Bigger than any sports event in history, even Olympics
Now that CART had delivered, up to Cleveland to deliver
CART has choices, and we always want Cleveland to be at the forefront
Not be here today without…
JANE CAMPBELL – MAYOR
This indeed exciting activity
Delighted Pook chose to invest in this town
One of few place visitors can see entire track
$28 mil est. impact
Race can be looked at as two-hour commercial for Cleveland

CHRIS POOK
Echo mayors comments, thanks to city hall
Had discussion last summer
This market critical to us
One of unique race facilities in world (can see track)
When drivers lift foot see blue flame, see brake disks glowing
New series name “a bit of a mouthful”
18 cars currently contracted, drivers to be announced in next week, a
couple more cars in the wings, another driver will be announced tomorrow

This is huge, huge project, want to congratulate Musco Lighting, whenever
we said we needed something a certain way, they jumped on it, a part of
project from beginning
US BANK
Presenting sponsor
Do number of promotions to increase interest and ticket sales
Excited about this first time event
DAVID NOLAN—CCVB
Bud, we hear you about stepping it up
We want to sell out the city

DENNIS ECKERT GCGA
Cleveland a city on the move
This race has merged the best that Cleveland has to offer
We were told no 20 years ago (about being able to close airport), Worst
thing to tell a Clevelander is no
JOE CROOKEM MUSCO
This is about four Super Bowl events wrapped up in one
Congrats to Pook for even imagining an event like this
Statue of Liberty rededication
Used at WTC and Pent.
22 trucks lighting up track
quite a bit of redundancy built in should any equipment fail
Go through a lot of things to make sure its safe
Largest event ever undertaken
Biggest challenge setting up in short time

MISC NOTES:
SPEED Channel coverage: “We have to get one out there first to show the
networks it can be done” – Pook
Fastest growing cable channel
Race start 8:30-9:00 p.m.
Pract and Quals at night to acclimate the drivers
Haven’t finalized it, but probably TransAm and TA

MORE POOK
Ball is back in our court, finalize design of weekend, into logistics
Not go in competition with city’s Friday night fireworks
All teams very excited, they’re fired up, race car drivers love a challenge
Enthusiasm after Gateway test
These cars will be spectacular to look at under the lights
Glow of brakes, exhaust flames, sparks
It’s not simple, but all very doable
This is a can do, will do process

STANNER – we’re not going to tell you how much (money), CART is the risk
taker, they own the race, IMG operaters of the event on their behalf, work
very hard to maintain financial viability
CART chooses to be in Cleveland, if don’t make money, won’t be back
POOK – race ovals, road, street, now race at night End of day, all about giving value Last year at Cleveland, spent two hours riding around the facility on scooter making notes on recorder Bud took me up on scissor lift to look over facility, that’s when light bulb went on – Night race!
There are danger elements, safety team onboard, says it will make their
job easier with intense lighting
MUSCO
All lights on perimeter, all on ground, safely spaced

They had demo lights set up. One bank of lights completely flooded out upstairs of terminal. Video camera guys were flipping out.
Pook is completely, genuinely stoked about the upcoming season… and so am I!
Viva’ la CART!!
– rabbit"

mnkywrch
01-16-03, 11:44 AM
22 lights?

Pack lots of bug spray... I think every bug in North America will be in Cleveland for the 4th of July...

Don Quixote
01-16-03, 11:51 AM
Thank you Nappy and rabbit. Good work! :)

Napoleon
01-16-03, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
Maybe I am being a bit optimistic, but it seems that they will need more grandstands for this race.

The fireworks draw a couple hundred thousand to a half million into the downtown area. In fact some people show up first thing the morning of the 4th to save spots at Edgewater Park for the show.

I think it could be extremely advantagous to CART to have those stands up on Friday night because they very possibly will draw alot of people to buy tickets that never would have thought to buy them otherwise. It could be a great hook to get people in the door who could become fans.

I have long said that fans really are not made from TV but because they went to a race (remember my poll on 7G where a vast vast majority of people either became interested because their family was or by going to the track) and if they manage 5 to 10k walkup on friday, and 5 to 10% become interested in CART because of being there thats 250 to 1000 new fans. If the number ends up being 15 or 20 (which is entirely plausable) that number maybe 750 to 2000 new fans.

rabbit
01-16-03, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm back. Man was that fun. I'll tell you this much, the Chris Pook I saw today and the Chris Pook I saw last July are two different people. He's smiling A LOT more and looks like the weight of the world has been taken off his shoulders.

You can not believe how bright those lights were! When they fired them up it completely flooded out the whole terminal. It was broad daylight and you couldn't see a thing it was so bright.

Hope you could gleen something interesting from my raw notes. I was typing as fast as I could (which isn't very fast) while they were talking. I wanted to get these out to you ASAP. Tomorrow I will post a link to my story on http://www.limanews.com/sports.

BTW - Pook had some interesting things to say about Max Papis, but it was "off the record" so I can't tell you or I'd have to kill you. ;)

Napoleon
01-16-03, 08:11 PM
Well the announcement got pretty good coverage on local TV stations. One had a video shot of a very large poster off to the side of the room where the press conference was held. It looked like it was what they would use to advertise it. It was the Visteon car with a moon rising behind it. It was very cool.

BTW, Don thanked me above, along with rabbit. Only rabbit deserves credit, and I thank him.

Napoleon
01-16-03, 08:23 PM
Oh as a PS two things.

1)in a strange twist, in part, the story was a little bit downplayed here because of a late breaking story. Mark McCormack, founder of IMG, had a heart attack and is in the hospital.

2) Here is the AP story, but I am sure a better story will follow

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index_story.ssf?/sports/more/ap/s16prix.html

rabbit
01-16-03, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
BTW, Don thanked me above, along with rabbit. Only rabbit deserves credit, and I thank him.

That's right! Don't be giving other people credit for things I've done! It's all about me!;) :gomer: :o

lone_groover
01-16-03, 10:42 PM
T'riffic! Makes me wanna listen to Alicia Bridges. :)

Napoleon
01-17-03, 08:13 AM
Here is a story from some hack (just joking :) )

http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/sports01.txt

The PD's story

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1042801253248730.xml

Interesting link.

http://www.musco.com/temporary/muscolight.html

Warlock!
01-17-03, 09:27 AM
"...when the CART Champ Car World Series comes..."

I like the way the writer bridges the transition from CART to the longwinded BPCCWSPBF title. It seems as though he's really trying to aquaint the general public with the series' new name.

Matter of fact, I think he kinda writes the way most of us think (God knows I ain't a writer!). Almost like he is "one of us". I like this guy :cool:

Oh. And you're OK too, Nappy... ;)

Winter Warlock!

rabbit
01-17-03, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
I like this guy :cool:

He's ok, but he's no Robin Miller.:gomer:

turn1
01-17-03, 03:37 PM
Big eye roll to the tall guy!

:cool:

rabbit
01-17-03, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by turn1
Big eye roll to the tall guy!

:cool:

Where the heck have you been? I was wondering if you'd fallen off the face of the earth.

rabbit
01-18-03, 02:46 AM
FYI -- The http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/sports01.txt link won't work anymore. After one day, the stories get moved here... http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/Friday/sports01.txt

devilmaster
01-18-03, 08:24 AM
Ya know what would be really cool here?

Anyone remember the glowing brakes from the newman/haas cars from 2 or 3 years ago? The ones that glowed the sponsors name?

Imagine those at Cleveland and the Mile.

Steve

Napoleon
01-18-03, 09:13 AM
That was last year. The only problem with bringing the "glowing" wheels back is that I would be surprised if the system was not part of the traction control system. I saw the wheels up close and they had LEDs on them that were timed to blink on and off as the wheel spun to create words. That would require a sophisticated sensor system to "tell" the lights exactly where each wheel was at any particular time.

skidmarks
01-18-03, 10:53 AM
Wasn't it the year before last?

And they might need to get new logos, it was the Toyota name and logo.

I was thinking they could get some glowing decals like Champion used in ALMS, but it sounds like it will be so bright the logos won't get a chance to glow.

devilmaster
01-18-03, 10:57 AM
It was also the year before last as I got to see them live at Detroit.

IIRC, they didn't start out at the start of the year, but came in a couple races into 2001.

Still cool to look at though. :)

Steve

turn1
01-20-03, 11:16 AM
Hey rabbit - thanks for caring!

RARules
01-20-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by skidmarks
And they might need to get new logos, it was the Toyota name and logo.

Most definitely. Of course, it would only take a newly burned EPROM to change the logo. (provided that the wheels weren't supplied directly by Toyota)