PDA

View Full Version : Why Jumping the start is penalized now?

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 01:11 PM
I don't mean any conspiracy theory, but, when Tracy jumped Jordain, no one wwas penalized, when Tracy jumped Fernandez (last season), it wasn't enforced either.

Also why is it that Tracy has such a fast car, I'm not buying it, there's too much diff.

Could it all be PR to get a canadian to win in Canada (to keep IRL away from Toronto and Vancuver)?

Could the restart fiasco be just a was of cooling down Toy-Boy?

I don't know, I just wonder...

30 second diff. on like cars is just too much, no setup can give you thet type of advantage, just wondering...

mapguy
07-28-03, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Ruben Barrios
no setup can give you thet type of advantage, just wondering...

Talent can. And PT has loads of it.

JAM26
07-28-03, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Talent can. And PT has loads of it. Combine that with possibly the best car and the best team and it's clear it's just a winning combination for PT.
Given the tensions between Pook and PT and the penalty he was handed on Friday and I think it's obvious Paul isn't receiving preferential treatment. He's just got the winning combination that's proving to be very tough to beat this year. And I'm loving every minute of it! :D

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 01:32 PM
No one screwed PT this week end, he finaly got called for something he's been doing for the good part of the season.

He had gotten away with it so far... it was to obvious and now they really had to do something about it, he cried, and cried and threw a fit...

They pampered him to keep him cool.

That's one thing...

Him have such a superior car... that is blatant...

And no, talent alone doesn't do that for you, not in a "spec" series

mapguy
07-28-03, 01:41 PM
No one screwed PT this week end, he finaly got called for something he's been doing for the good part of the season.

He had gotten away with it so far... it was to obvious and now they really had to do something about it, he cried, and cried and threw a fit...

That's one thing...

And no, talen alone doesn't do that for you, not in a "spec" series

:rolleyes:

Look it's not as if PT all of a sudden found speed, like Jourdain has. His record speaks for itself. He has more wins in the last 12 years than any other driver in C^RT, even Michael Andretti. If you had been paying attention you would know that when PT is in the 'zone' he is untouchable.

In 1993 in his first full year as a CART driver he won as many races at reigning F1 champ Mansell. In most, if not all, of those races he took off and hid from the field.

In 1998 at Houston he checked out on the field, including his teammate Franchitti, while he was saving fuel.

In 2k he came from dead last at Road America to win without the aid of any full course yellows.

he cried, and cried and threw a fit...

I don't seem to recall him crying. And I was listening into his radio during the race. Now Jourdain and Junky could give PT a lesson or two about crying.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, and there was a second shooter behind the grassy knoll right? PT was fined in Cleveland for wearing shorts and there was talk about Pook suspending him for Toronto. If that is your idea about pampering....

Uhh.. Please seem my first response.

And no, talen alone doesn't do that for you, not in a "spec" series

You have no clue do you? Does the name Greg Moore ring a bell?

JAM26
07-28-03, 01:43 PM

And no, talent alone doesn't do that for you, not in a "spec" series The cars may have the same h.p. behind them but there's still lots that can be done to set the car up.
I'll say once more, I think it's just a case of an incredible driver on top of his game with an incredible crew, incredible coach/mentor, incredible ownership and it goes right on down the line.
Nobody would have raised this issue if it were Montoya or Zanardi that were blowing away the field.

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 01:46 PM
Greg Moore never ran CART on "spec" sorry...

And even though PT has experience, he does not have the race/win ratio that Michael Andretti has, not even close.

Plus in all his time in CART he has How many championships?

And check your history, he has never ben so fast as now.

Plus I'm not saying this whole season is... I'm saying the last two races have been...

Dr. Corkski
07-28-03, 01:50 PM
Greg Moore never ran CART on "spec" sorry...Greg Moore blew away the rest of the SPEC Indy Lights field back in 1995.

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-03, 01:54 PM
There are plenty of legitimate ways to bash PT, I don't think the "He has a fast car, something must be up" argument is valid one though. I agree with JAM, he's just making the most of a great situation right now.

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 01:55 PM
Not by so much...

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:04 PM
Greg Moore never ran CART on "spec" sorry...

Greg Moore won 10 out of 12 races in the 1995 Indy Lights SPEC series. Paul Tracy won 9 out of 14 races in the 1990 Indy Lights SPEC series. Sorry...

And even though PT has experience, he does not have the race/win ratio that Michael Andretti has, not even close.

I'd say that 13.6% (Andretti) vs 12% (PT) is pretty close. And that isn't including his 2002 Indy 500 win. :)

And check your history, he has never ben so fast as now.

You either didn't read my above post or chose to ignore it. PT has always been this fast. Always.

Heck in 1997 when he drove that pig of a Penske chassis he lead the championship for half a season and at the end of the year only Zanardi had more laps lead than PT, and only 2 more than that.

Plus I'm not saying this whole season is... I'm saying the last two races have been...

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the Player's team have, not only the best driver in the field, but the best engineering staff too?

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 02:10 PM
Ok, for the sakes of sannity I give up, I can't force my opinion down everyone's throat.

I still do have my own oppinion.

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:12 PM
Ok, for the sakes of sannity I give up, I can't force my opinion down everyone's throat.

This is a first. Seeing someone having a meltdown on two forums on the same subject.

I love a good conspiracy theory but this one was baseless.

No harm, no foul.

RaceGrrl
07-28-03, 02:13 PM

Of course you do. So do we. It's the good thing about these forums. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. :D

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 02:22 PM
What is that saying?

A man conviced against his will, is of the same opinion still

or something like that?

Anyone remembers?

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:23 PM
What is that saying?

A man conviced against his will, is of the same opinion still

or something like that?

Anyone remembers?

You are entitled to your opinion. So am I. It is my opinion that your opinion is baseless. I also think that white cars are boring.

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 02:23 PM
No meltdown mappie hahaha just sannity.

My opinion is still the same

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:26 PM
No meltdown mappie hahaha just sannity.

I'm beginning to think insanity....

(just kidding).

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:28 PM
One more thing. I actually agree with the title of your thread. Why start now? CART has to be more consistent with calling the rules.

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 02:29 PM
All in a friendly way thanx Mappy

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:30 PM
All in a friendly way thanx Mappy

:thumbup:

Just don't get any ideas about a group hug. :D

Ruben Barrios
07-28-03, 02:31 PM
Damn!!! that's what I wanted

mapguy
07-28-03, 02:32 PM
Damn!!! that's what I wanted

No can do. I have a reputation around here to keep. :)

RaceGrrl
07-28-03, 02:56 PM
As do I. My hugs aren't cheap. :)

err... I mean... umm... nevermind.

JT265
07-28-03, 03:15 PM
I for one have no problem with whoever wants to group hug Mappy, for whatever reason.

The thoughts of the Mapster standing there with no pants on, arms open wide, bring back bad memories of a Boy Scout troop leader I encountered once as a child.

Once was waaaaaaaaaaay more than enough.

But hey, new century, new rules. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :D

mapguy
07-28-03, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JT265
I for one have no problem with whoever wants to group hug Mappy, for whatever reason.

The thoughts of the Mapster standing there with no pants on, arms open wide, bring back bad memories of a Boy Scout troop leader I encountered once as a child.

Once was waaaaaaaaaaay more than enough.

But hey, new century, new rules. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :D

Allrighty then. Looks like Mr JT is having too much fun with his Coleco CB40 while listening to the Bee Gees.

Your problem stems from those Oshawa Scout troops. Shudda joined 1st Ajax troop.

Boomalaca boomalaca bow wow wow. Chickalaca chickalaca chow, chow. chow. Boomalaca, chickalaca who are we? We're First Ajax yesiree!

FTG
07-28-03, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Greg Moore blew away the rest of the SPEC Indy Lights field back in 1995.

Don't remember the Lights race, but I saw Greg carry so much more speed through a corner than the rest of the field it was scary. Couldn't believe my eyes.

What a talent. Greg is still missed.

JT265
07-28-03, 04:02 PM
Actually Mapper, I'll split the diff with ya.

It was Whitby, and in fairness to the old cranks spawn, I won't "out" him here either. :D

Hey, did you hang with any of the posse from south of the 401? These guys would make the scene and tell all the hotties they were from "LA", and of course the hotties would line up and drool over 'em, thinking they were hooked up or sumpin.

When questioned further, they would reveal that in fact they were from "Lower Ajax". :cool:

mapguy
07-28-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Actually Mapper, I'll split the diff with ya.

It was Whitby, and in fairness to the old cranks spawn, I won't "out" him here either. :D

Hey, did you hang with any of the posse from south of the 401? These guys would make the scene and tell all the hotties they were from "LA", and of course the hotties would line up and drool over 'em, thinking they were hooked up or sumpin.

When questioned further, they would reveal that in fact they were from "Lower Ajax". :cool:

Whitby? OK, I'll cut you some slack on that one. They never got caught up in the shennanigans at Camp Samac.

1St Ajax WAS the LA posse. Didn't you attend any of our Brownie camel-toe competitions?

Ankf00
07-28-03, 05:19 PM
I don't mean any conspiracy theory, but, when Tracy jumped Jordain, no one wwas penalized, when Tracy jumped Fernandez (last season), it wasn't enforced either.

Also why is it that Tracy has such a fast car, I'm not buying it, there's too much diff.

Could it all be PR to get a canadian to win in Canada (to keep IRL away from Toronto and Vancuver)?

Could the restart fiasco be just a was of cooling down Toy-Boy?

I don't know, I just wonder...

30 second diff. on like cars is just too much, no setup can give you thet type of advantage, just wondering...

how'd damatta win 7 races last year? dont know how he always out classed the field, just cuz your guy is getting regularly owned by the guy you hate doesnt mean it's "the call."

man, get inundated with work, can't get on a computer, ya show up, and all yer responses are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the times. effe this.

Hink
07-28-03, 06:04 PM
One thing on the Vancouver race. Junquei admitted that he lost concentration after he let Tracy by. This could explain why the gap was growing at the rate it did (about 1 sec/lap for awhile).

nrc
07-28-03, 09:27 PM
Not by so much...

Paul Tracy won the 1990 Indy Lights Race at Long Beach by almost 28 seconds. It's not unusual for an agressive driver to pull double digit margins even in spec cars. Especially when you have over sixty laps of continuous green flag racing.

In most cases a big margin isn't worthwhile because you'll just lose it on a yellow. So even dominant drivers normally just pull out a lead, put it on cruise and (once upon a time) save fuel. Clearly Tracy wanted to administer a beating. It's a good strategy because it seems to be cutting into the confidence of Bruno and Michel.

Climber
07-28-03, 09:35 PM
I think NRC's right. Paul's playing head games with the competition, intimidating even those who have the cars and the talent to challenge him. Whether this works in a group of highly competitive, aggressive young men remains to be seen, but it certainly appears to be his plan - on and off the track.