PDA

View Full Version : enough street racing

RTKar
07-28-03, 12:30 AM
Bring on some real race courses!:thumbup: .....A poor start, a bunch of cars knocked out early, lack of eye appeal...maybe I'm just feeling grumpy but I've had enough street courses for awhile.

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-03, 12:38 AM
Yep... I'm enjoying the next 2 weeks :thumbup:

cart7
07-28-03, 08:14 AM
Not just street courses, but especially that one. If there was ever a race that could be pointed to as a "Street Parade", it's that one. I've never like the course in any of it's versions. Even Sim racing on it is a bore. There is no legit place to pass on that track without endangering you're car.
zzzzzzzzzzz I dozed off halfway through.

Dr. Corkski
07-28-03, 09:21 AM
You guys missed the whole point of watching street races on TV. You are not supposed to know that there are even cars on the track, but instead only see the excitement in packed stands and beer tents unobstructed by picnic tables and port-a-potties.

cart7
07-28-03, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
You guys missed the whole point of watching street races on TV. You are not supposed to know that there are even cars on the track, but instead only see the excitement in packed stands and beer tents unobstructed by picnic tables and port-a-potties.
If they parked the cars and pumped the sound of Cart cars at speed through the PA, would half the people even know, or care? :confused:

Gurneyflap
07-28-03, 10:03 AM
Damn...I agree with you all...nobody to fight with!

Gurneyflap
07-28-03, 10:05 AM
Oh...and my battle cry..."Real Sport, Real Racing, Real TRACKS!"

RaceGrrl
07-28-03, 11:06 AM
Agreed, GF. An all or mostly street course series would be boring to the nth degree. Taking the races to the urban areas is only good for the long term health of the series if the track design is good.

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-03, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
... if the track design is good. Big IF I know, but they've shown that they can do it right on occassion. St. Pete being a recent example, imo.

RaceGrrl
07-28-03, 11:34 AM
That's what's so frustrating about the parades. We know that it's possible to design a good course for competitive racing on the track.

I still watch because it IS ChampCar racing after all, but it could be so much better.

Dr. Corkski
07-28-03, 11:47 AM
Rather ironic that St. Petes was not that well attended for a street race.

Dirty Sanchez
07-28-03, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Rather ironic that St. Petes was not that well attended for a street race. I think they took a rather conservative approach for that race. There were a lot more bodies than seats (in our area at least) and quite a lot of people on top of the parking garages and buildings nearby. I think the city and the race got quite good buzz after this year's event and I wouldn't be surprised to see improved attendance and greater seating capacity next year.

I know all of us that went are all planning on going again next year...I even e-mailed the mayor and race organizers saying as much.

The track layout is superb, imo as well. I enjoyed it much more than Long Beach.

Hink
07-28-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Crapus
The track layout is superb, imo as well. I enjoyed it much more than Long Beach.

That track is a miracle. A sub 2 mile street course that is wide enough to have the potential for great racing. This is the best new course added in years.

Climber
07-29-03, 10:43 PM
I watch every CART race I can, either in person or on the tube. BUT, I do not like the majority of street races. And I don't like them because the racing just is not good. The tracks are too narrow and lack braking or passing zones and visually they are completely unappealing. If a huge fan like me dislikes these things, what can we expect from the casual fan?

I respect the heck out of CART's current management team and all the things they've accomplished in very tough times. A truly amazing job for which I'm grateful. That being said, I disagree with the current emphasis on "urban venues." This is just a buzz word for street racing and the carnival that goes with it.

CART should be about racing, not throwing parties.

RTKar
07-29-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Climber
I watch every CART race I can, either in person or on the tube. BUT, I do not like the majority of street races. And I don't like them because the racing just is not good. The tracks are too narrow and lack braking or passing zones and visually they are completely unappealing. If a huge fan like me dislikes these things, what can we expect from the casual fan?

I respect the heck out of CART's current management team and all the things they've accomplished in very tough times. A truly amazing job for which I'm grateful. That being said, I disagree with the current emphasis on "urban venues." This is just a buzz word for street racing and the carnival that goes with it.

CART should be about racing, not throwing parties.

I agree 100%, that said, St Pete looked great, Montreal of course and Long Beach seems to be OK. Most of the others though, seem to me to have an amateurish look to them, the concrete grey mismatched barriers, the fencing, the plastic signage. One thing I respect Bernie for is how he built the image of F1, all of his races seem to have a polished eye appeal to them that CART dearly lacks. The look on tv should be eye catching especially in this day and age of channel surfers, make it look good, and viewers may join in.

cartcanuck
07-30-03, 01:13 PM
I posted this on another forum, I'll see what I get here for an answer.

I like street races. I like road courses better, but I dont' mind temporar city courses. I've been to Vancouver a couple of times and loved the party , the fun, being in a hotel 2 blocks away and having the block party outside our window! But the racing isn't great.

Is there a way to build a temporary street course that actually allows passing zones? I agree that St. Petes looks good and I'll be there in Feb. to see it in person. But what about places like Miami, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. What would have to be done to make these places work as race tracks? I don't want to complain about it, I'd rather find a way to make it work. These tracks generate a lot of money, so if they can make good racing too....then why not keep them? Let's do a fantasy redesign of these city tracks and figure something out.

Does anyone have some solutions here (aside from just moving everything to permanent road courses?)

bullet
07-30-03, 03:52 PM
Well in Vancouver, turns 1/2/3/6/7/8 could easily be widened. Turns 1/2 and 7/8 could easily become wide hairpins like Montreal.

nrc
07-30-03, 10:08 PM
For the best passing opportunites you need a wide course with reasonably long straights that end in turns that require heavy braking. The mile wide turn in Denver looked ideal, but the rest of the course was too narrow, twisty, slippery and bumpy. If they can fix any two of those they may have a decent course in a few years.