PDA

View Full Version : PT Loses The Pole

JoeBob
07-25-03, 11:59 PM
Surprisingly, it wasn't for being overweight, but for blocking. http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6624

RaceGrrl
07-26-03, 12:02 AM
He's been pushing it, typical PT style, and I think Kneifel got tired of it. Sometimes when you push the envelope you get dinged...

nrc
07-26-03, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Surprisingly, it wasn't for being overweight, but for blocking. http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6624

You can lose a pole for being overweight?

I wonder if Tracy has just been messing with people, or if Player's has been playing the positioning strategy in qualifying to such an extreme that they keep tripping over people.

They probably did need to bring the hammer down to get people to watch what they're doing, but the question is will this produce less whining about blocking, or more?

Lizzerd
07-26-03, 01:10 AM
Wow. This is a shocker. The article doesn't say who or when he blocked, so for integrity's sake, CART better have some darn good evidence.

Live on-air interviewers beware: last year's circus clown comment could be made to look like a bible verse next time you stick a microphone in Paul's face.

fourrunner
07-26-03, 01:15 AM
We can only Hope!! :D

JAM26
07-26-03, 01:48 AM
I'm not too impressed with this decision. Mind you, I admit I haven't seen the session.
However, I think CART has it out for PT right now. Giving in to the whining of Bruno, Tags and MJ is only going to encourage them to whine more, unfortunately.
I like this Bourdais kid more and more...from canoe.ca (this is allowed here, right?)
"Third-place Bourdais noted the blocking problem is just as bad, if not worse, in European F3000, which hasn't switched to one-car qualifying."
The track was practically empty for the first part of the session. If you want clear track - go out then!
I'm dissapointed in this decision to penalize PT. Once I see the footage, perhaps I'll change my mind but I get the sense it's a bit of a witch hunt.

Mariofan
07-26-03, 02:23 AM
An eyewitness on 7thGear said Paul and Junky were quite irratated with each other right after qualilies. Junky claims Paul blocked him out of a quick lap. :rolleyes:

rabbit
07-26-03, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by JAM26
I like this Bourdais kid more and more...from canoe.ca (this is allowed here, right?)
"Third-place Bourdais noted the blocking problem is just as bad, if not worse, in European F3000, which hasn't switched to one-car qualifying."
The track was practically empty for the first part of the session. If you want clear track - go out then!That's nice of him to say that and all, but that doesn't sound a thing like what he was saying when the microphones weren't around at Cleveland.

Race Dog 99
07-26-03, 09:40 AM
Another reason why one lap qualifying is needed. There are many against that concept but look at F1 this year, its been finally a pleasure to watch past the first 2 laps.

Too many are critical on the whiners. While there is no place for whining in my book (just ask the kids), if no noise is made, no action will be taken when needed. I hope nobody thinks this doesn't happen regularly.

Sean O'Gorman
07-26-03, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Race Dog 99
Another reason why one lap qualifying is needed. There are many against that concept but look at F1 this year, its been finally a pleasure to watch past the first 2 laps.

Too many are critical on the whiners. While there is no place for whining in my book (just ask the kids), if no noise is made, no action will be taken when needed. I hope nobody thinks this doesn't happen regularly.

Here is a better idea. If you don't want to be blocked, make sure you have a clear track on your hot lap! If you start the lap a couple of seconds behind Tracy then of course the possibility of being held up is going to come into play! Its not like PT is idling around the track until he sees someone fast so he can dodge into their path or anything...

JT265
07-26-03, 09:59 AM
Word is that PT backed off 2 corners from S/F to let Dominquez cycle off into the distance, and TagSSSSSSSS <----we CAN say that here, right? :D caught him up.

Nothing to see here. As we all know, Junky, MJ, TagSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and the rest of the merry band, being stand up types would never lift when they shouldn't.

JT265
07-26-03, 10:00 AM
I should add that Junky was behind TagSSSSSSS when this all went down as well, which added further drama to the deal.

Gurneyflap
07-26-03, 10:14 AM
Those of you who listened to the session on CART.com may remember the moment. The jovial Tracy-loving announcers made direct comment of the fast group heading for their final "flyer" but noted that it was Tracy at the HEAD of that group (giggle, giggle). They, of course didn't use the "B" word but a clear picture was created in my mind. I am not at all surprised to hear of the action taken. Thank you, Circus Clown. (He made the correct call THEN, too)

JAM26
07-26-03, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JT265
TagSSSSSSSS <----we CAN say that here, right? :D caught him up.

Haha...:D

Ruben Barrios
07-26-03, 03:05 PM
First of all, I'm glad to some people again, guess all us refuges will now get back to the topic of fun.

Now then...

C'mon it's been going on for quite some time now!

I agree single car quals would be great.

nrc
07-26-03, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Race Dog 99

It's not the single car qualifying that has mixed things up in F1 so much as the fuel rules accompanying them. With lighter cars the different fuel loads have a much greater affect in F1 than they would in CART. I'm surprised that F1 fans have gone for this given their predilection for "pure sport." Why not just draw starting positions out of a hat?

CART has to keep the fans coming on Saturday. That means putting the cars on the track. Single car qualifying is boring. The closest they'll come is a single car shoot-out among the top four or five at the end of the session.

Ruben Barrios
07-26-03, 04:46 PM
At least he was gracious about it... Not!!!!

wow pretty strong word mate, better think twice before you mouth off again!!!