PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR says no to travelling Safety Crew.

mapguy
07-24-03, 12:26 PM
Per an excellent article on TSN.ca. (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=48217) Got some good quotes from Cal Wells and Christian Fittipaldi regarding the Simple Green Safety Team.

Unfortunately Gary Nelson is a clueless idiot when it comes to safety.

Rather than compare how we do things to another series, I'd have to say that our system works for us," Nelson said. "If I had a head injury, I'd rather have the top neurosurgeon in the area on standby than an orthopedist on site.

:thumdown:

JT265
07-24-03, 12:36 PM
"neurosurgeons and Nascar".

Anyone else pick out the paradox here?

devilmaster
07-24-03, 12:46 PM
:shakehead

Thats about all I can say, without going into a huge rant which you've all heard and know.

Steve

FRANKY
07-24-03, 12:49 PM
Boo Hiss. NASCAR's weakest link is no safety team.

RaceGrrl
07-24-03, 12:58 PM
NASCAR's weakest link is the baboon running the show.

JoeBob
07-24-03, 01:17 PM
Perhaps Gary Nelson needs to review a copy of Steve Olvey's resume:
http://neurosurgery.med.miami.edu/faculty.asp#98

devilmaster
07-24-03, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
http://neurosurgery.med.miami.edu/faculty.asp#98

Thanks, JB.... Can anyone figure out Nelson's email addy? Consider it a gesture of goodwill that we show him what an idiotic comment he made.

Steve

Ankf00
07-24-03, 02:10 PM
hey, last weekend they ran a bunch of death free miles in a buncha cars combined, so what's the problem? there is none... i mean, if ppl can survive flaming wrecks... no problem exists... you don't have a problem until someone dies, and even then, you really dont have one if you keep telling everyone you don't have one,

:rolleyes:

cart7
07-24-03, 04:19 PM
Until the drivers like J. Gordon, Rusty, Stewart, or Jr. can come up with the nads to climb off their endorsement money pile and stand-up to the Helton/France dictatorship, nothing will change.

I always enjoy watching Inside WC racing. When issues of safety or the rules pop up, Schraeder, Benson and dingleberry Waltrip act like they're tip-toeing through a minefield. :shakehead :gomer:

Chitowncartfreak
07-24-03, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Thanks, JB.... Can anyone figure out Nelson's email addy? Consider it a gesture of goodwill that we show him what an idiotic comment he made.

Steve

Try cluelessmoron@nascar.com

Then again, this might be a group email address.

Seriously, Nelson's stance is hideous. While I'm sure the medical personnel NAASCAR uses are qualified in emergency medicine, one of the strengts of the Simple Green Safety Team is that they have training on incidents that are specific to CART and to racing. As a result, they know the best way to extinguish a fire, the best way to extracate a driver from a Lola or a Reynard, what symptoms to look for after a driver has smacked a wall at 230MPH, etc. I still remember Kyle Petty being yanked out of his car at Indy a few years ago and carried off the track like a bag of sand by a couple of "safety workers." Good thing he didn't have a spinal injury. Fittipald's example of Zanardi's accident is spot on. When they arrived at the scene, instinct took over - they didn't have to mull over each step of the process.

Get out of the 1950's NASCAR!!!

Don Quixote
07-24-03, 04:25 PM
I think maybe NASCAR can't afford a traveling safety team. :gomer:

RaceGrrl
07-24-03, 10:07 PM
Here's something Bourdais told me after the Town Meeting. He said that they were talking about Trammel and Olvey being at a NASCAR race instead of at the CART race at Surfer's. He was quite upset about it and said that the other drivers were protesting it too.

I wonder what happened with that, if anything.

JSR
07-24-03, 10:27 PM
What a shame. WC had a chance to do something that I think is a terrific idea. :thumdown:

JoeBob
07-24-03, 10:31 PM
The NASCAR event the same weekend as Surfers is Atlanta.

I'd have guessed the Homestead race, as Olvey is the medical director at that track. (At least he used to be.)

DaveL
07-25-03, 12:16 AM
There is no way to spin this.

NASCAR is simply wrong on this issue.

Elmo T
07-25-03, 07:51 AM

What a shame. A high profile safety team with proper sponsorship would be a great PR machine for NASCAR. Oh, and it would make vast improvements for driver and team safety, but I guess that is secondary. :rolleyes:

Wasn't Dale Sr. an advocate for a NASCAR safety team?

rabbit
07-25-03, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Elmo T
Wasn't Dale Sr. an advocate for a NASCAR safety team? Doesn't matter anymore. They've managed to weather that PR storm. They'd rather just "put out fires" than actually put out fires.:thumdown:

cart7
07-25-03, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Elmo T

Wasn't Dale Sr. an advocate for a NASCAR safety team?
I'd find that hard to believe coming from a guy who intentionally had his harness rigged to accomodate his seat. The rigging sacrificed the breaking strength of the belts which, ultimately, may have led to his pre-mature death.

Dirty Sanchez
07-25-03, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
http://neurosurgery.med.miami.edu/faculty.asp#98 Technically, I don't believe Dr. Olvey is an Orthopedist or a Neurosurgeon. He appears to have been trained as an Internist, judging by his Board Certification in IM. I doubt he ever completed a Neurosurgery residency.

That's not to say he's not one of the most qualified guys out there for head injuries, etc... he is.

Just a clarification.

Elmo T
07-25-03, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by cart7
I'd find that hard to believe coming from a guy who intentionally had his harness rigged to accomodate his seat. The rigging sacrificed the breaking strength of the belts which, ultimately, may have led to his pre-mature death.

I do seem to remember reading something in the past where Earnhardt mentions the CART Safety Team and how they should serve as an example to NASCAR.

But I could be wrong...

"Dale wasn't a big advocate for safety and restrictor plates. He was just a racer..." says Steve Park on his website.