PDA

View Full Version : mapguy's mid season F1 Report Card.

mapguy
07-21-03, 03:02 PM
A little late but here goes.

#1. Michael Schumacher - Had a rough start to the season due to the new qualifying rules. Proved once again that he is a flawed genius (see 1994. Hill, Damon and 1997. Villeneuve, Jacques.) Gathered it back up with the introduction of the new F1 2003 GA. Slipped of late. B+ Teacher's comments: Doing not too badly. Recovered from bad early semester. Lose the arrogance and stop forcing other students onto the grass and grade might go to an A.

#2. Rubens Barrichello - Pretty uneventful season considering the equipment he has. Only seems to win either from gifts from the proclaimed top student or when a trespasser enters the classroom. C+ Teacher's comments: Stop dreaming of becoming the class valdictorian when the current one retires.

#3. Juan Montoya - Up and down season. More often than not the car has let him down. It must be pretty bad when he claims that the car is too loose. Impressive win in Monaco. IMO Williams best driver. B Teacher's comments: Stop trying to hard and overdriving the car and the wins will come.

#4 Ralf Schumacher - Terrible start to the season which included a note to the parents. Picked it up after that. Needs to perform all the time, not just when in trouble. B+ Teacher's comments: Still can't pass a stone.

#5 David Coulthard - Great start. Not much after that. Once again getting his rear handed to him by a team mate. C Teacher's comments: Needs to stop declaring that he will be class valdictorian at the beginning of every year.

#6 Kimi Raikkonen - Finally won his first race and should have won more. Great speed and car control. One of the new guns. A Teacher's comments: Remedial English is recommended.

#7 Jarno Trulli - Great qualifier. Lousy racer. B- Teacher's comments: Got a lot of potential if he can turn his qualifying results into race results.

#8 Fernando Alonso - Great start to the season for the sophmore driver. Showed great pace. Nice surprise. Another new gun. A Teacher's comments: Lose the flavor savor. Who do you think you are? That kid from the remedial class, Buddy Rice?

#9 Nick Heidfeld - Starting to become forgotten. Should have been kicking Frentzen's butt. C- Teacher's comments: Forget about that McLaren ride.

#10 Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Another lackluster season for HH. Still living off of one good year at Jordan. D Teacher's comments: I hear that Hemelgarn is looking for a German driver.

#11 Giancarlo Fisichella - Finally broke through this year. Although it was a gift. Should be much faster than his teammate than he is. C+ Teacher's comments: Must improve greatly if you want a ride in the top 4.

#12 Ralph Firman - Caught me off guard when he was signed. Good record in the juniors but that was a long time ago. Last chance this year and he is closer to his teammate than expected. C- Teacher's comments: Keep up the good work.

#14 Mark Webber - Performed above and beyond all expectations. Has lead his team out of the wilderness and given them hope. A+ Teacher's comments: I knew he was good but he is the biggest surprise of the year. Great job.

#15 Antonio Pizzonia - Good pedigree and highly recommended by Frank Williams and Patrick Head. Either Mark Webber is the next Senna or Frank and Patrick played a good joke on Niki Lauda. Sent to the detention room. F Teacher's comments: Brazillian Road Racer? Meet AJ Foyt.

#16 Jacques Villeneuve - Former class valdictorian. Too busy riding off of that fame. Needs to stop worrying about his teammate, shut his pie hole and drive. We all know what he is capable of. Commitment is still there behind the wheel. C- Teacher's comments: Needs to apply himself more.

#17 Jenson Button - Class pretty boy. Teacher's pet in the BAR classroom and it is affecting other students. Decent results so far but hasn't proven he can race. C- Teacher's comments: Need to lose the Backstreet Boys persona and act like a racecar driver.

#18 Justin Wilson - F1's answer to Manute Bol. It's about time someone built a car he can fit into. Passed most cars for position this year. In a Minardi. Took a risky chance with floating himself on the stock market and it has worked. Now has moved to a more competitive class. A+ Teacher's comments: Keep up the great work.

#19 Jos Verstappen - A glutton for punishment. Tries anything to stay in the honors class even if that means sitting at the back. D Teacher's comments: Have you ever thought about driving in circles?

#20 Olivier Panis - Great test/development driver. Probably has helped the Toyota class more than previous students. Not much else, however. C Teacher's comments: Will more than likely be dropped when class is up to speed.

#21 Cristiano daMatta - New student is proving to be a surprise compared to his class mate. Good results so far considering the age of the class. B Teacher's comments: Keep up the good work.

Lizzerd
07-21-03, 04:51 PM
#6 Kimi Raikkonen - Finally won his first race and should have won more. Great speed and car control. One of the new guns. A Teacher's comments: Remedial English is recommended.

'A' is far too generous. Two potential lost wins when pressured into a mistake. 'C+' at best.

mapguy
07-21-03, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
'A' is far too generous. Two potential lost wins when pressured into a mistake. 'C+' at best.

You must remember that he is driving a year old car with an engine that isn't the strongest in the field.

Lizzerd
07-21-03, 05:11 PM
True, but what are the criteria of your grades? I would agree to the 'A' if he were able to hold his position or had to give it up with a clean pass, but at Austria (?) and Silverstone, he gave up position (and the lead) because of his own mistake. So, considering the car he's in and your agruement for your grade, I could be generous and change my 'C+' to a 'B'.

mapguy
07-21-03, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
True, but what are the criteria of your grades? I would agree to the 'A' if he were able to hold his position or had to give it up with a clean pass, but at Austria (?) and Silverstone, he gave up position (and the lead) because of his own mistake. So, considering the car he's in and your agruement for your grade, I could be generous and change my 'C+' to a 'B'.

Well, Silverstone was a anomoly. It was as screwy if not more than Hockenheim in 2001. As for Austria. Rubens had the all-singing-all dancing F1 2003 GA and couldn't get it done. Kimi has what Mika had plus an edge that he didn't.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
#16 Jacques Villeneuve - Former class valdictorian. Too busy riding off of that fame. Needs to stop worrying about his teammate, shut his pie hole and drive. We all know what he is capable of. Commitment is still there behind the wheel. C- Teacher's comments: Needs to apply himself more.

#17 Jenson Button - Class pretty boy. Teacher's pet in the BAR classroom and it is affecting other students. Decent results so far but hasn't proven he can race. C- Teacher's comments: Need to lose the Backstreet Boys persona and act like a racecar driver.
One needs only to look here to determine that these grades are far from objective. Both get C's?!? Wha? :gomer:

I still give you E for effort dude :thumbup:

mapguy
07-21-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Crapus
One needs only to look here to determine that these grades are far from objective. Both get C's?!? Wha? :gomer:

I still give you E for effort dude :thumbup:

And of course you are the bastion of objectivity. :rolleyes:

I add some levity to this place and you piss all over it.

Why don't you admit that you don't like JV and be done with it.

I'm still waiting for a list of what Button has done to deserve an F1 ride BTW.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:03 PM
Awww come on now Mappy. I like JV just fine. He'll make a great #2 to Jenson next year. :laugh:

Beating an ex-WDC isn't enough to deserve F1 ride? Perhaps you can tell me what a driver should do to deserve a ride in F1... and I'll name several drivers that don't meet your criteria. IIRC correctly Jenson beat Bruno fair and square in a testing shootout for that seat.

and now for my attempt to lighten the mood in here...

http://www.fourhman.com/mappy/images/mappy_japan.jpg

You can call me Nyamco from now on I guess. :rofl:

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:14 PM
Awww come on now Mappy. I like JV just fine. He'll make a great #2 to Jenson next year. :laugh:

Beating an ex-WDC isn't enough to deserve F1 ride? Perhaps you can tell me what a driver should do to deserve a ride in F1... and I'll name several drivers that don't meet your criteria. IIRC correctly Jenson beat Bruno fair and square in a testing shootout for that seat.

and now for my attempt to lighten the mood in here...

http://www.fourhman.com/mappy/images/mappy_japan.jpg

You can call me Nyamco from now on I guess. :rofl:

What has Button won. I'm still waiting.

BTW. Jenson didn't beat Bruno fair and square. At least according to the British press you quote regarding the JV/Button issue. You can't have it both ways.

What has Button won?

JV:
Toyota Atlantic rookie of the Year. Check.
C^RT Rookie of the Year with one win. Check.
Indy 500 Rookie of the Year. Check.
C^RT Champion. Check.
Indy 500 Champion. Check.
F1 Rookie of the Year. Check.
F1 World Champ. Check.
All within 4 year.

Crapus talking out of his ass. Check.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:19 PM
I thought all you needed was a Superlicense to race in F1... and a team that wants you.

JB: One Superlicense. Check.
One seat at BAR. Check.

JT265
07-21-03, 06:19 PM
Your correct about the test, Mapster. Problem at the time for Sir F and Patrick was that they couldn't understand Junky, IMO.

And to be honest, I would rank JV with a D, or even a D-, just cause his mouth has run away far too long this year.

He reminds me of a miniature AJ Foyt lately. Glad to see him do what he has done, but he really does need to shut up and drive.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:21 PM
I thought all you needed was a Superlicense to race in F1.

Nice duck and cover.

What has Button won. Other than the fact that Dave Richards is a family friend?

Still waiting?

JT265
07-21-03, 06:21 PM
I thought all you needed was a Superlicense to race in F1.

And don't forget about the heat win in the lawn mower series.
That counts for something, right?

Alex Yooooooooooooooooooong: One superlicence. Check.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Your correct about the test, Mapster. Problem at the time for Sir F and Patrick was that they couldn't understand Junky, IMO.

And to be honest, I would rank JV with a D, or even a D-, just cause his mouth has run away far too long this year.

He reminds me of a miniature AJ Foyt lately. Glad to see him do what he has done, but he really does need to shut up and drive.

What pizzes me off most about JV is that he has the talent and the b@lls to take the dirty, cheating pointy-chinned bastard to task.

In terms of talent Button isn't qualified to carry his jock-strap.

I just wish he would shut his trap.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:24 PM
Nice duck and cover.

What has Button won. Other than the fact that Dave Richards is a family friend?

Still waiting? If your point is that JV is getting beaten by a less experience teammate with a far less impressive resume, you win!

He has fulfilled all of the requirements for earning a seat in F1... otherwise he would not be racing in F1. This is not a duck and cover. These are the facts, Jack.

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:27 PM

I'm still waiting for a list of what Button has done to deserve an F1 ride BTW.

button beat trulli last year 14-9, killing his teammate this year 11-3, looks deserving enough, by that same measure, what did kimi ever do?
he was beaten by nick in '01 12-9, and handily beaten by DC last year 41-24.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:28 PM
He has fulfilled all of the requirements for earning a seat in F1... otherwise he would not be racing in F1.

Ricardo Zonta
Huub Rothengatter
Eliseo Salazar

Need I go on?

What has Button won? Still waiting.

These are the facts, Jack.

Still waiting for your answer on what Button has won.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
button beat trulli last year 14-9

I don't think so. There were 23 races last year in F1?

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:30 PM
If it means so much to you, might I recommend a trip over to jensonbutton.com (http://www.jensonbutton.com) ;) I'm sure you can find the information you seek over there. Let me know if he makes your imaginary grade or not.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:31 PM
I don't think so. There were 23 races last year in F1? Points chief, points. :rolleyes: You know those thingies that decide the WDC rankings and such?

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:32 PM
If it means so much to you, might I recommend a trip over to jensonbutton.com (http://www.jensonbutton.com) ;) I'm sure you can find the information you seek over there. Let me know if you makes your imaginary grade or not.

He didn't even win the F3 title. Come back to me when he actually wins something.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:36 PM
Points chief, points. :rolleyes: You know those thingies that decide the WDC rankings and such?

My bad. If Jenson Button is god (in your eyes) then why did he get let go by Williams and Benetton( Briatore wanted to let him go mid season)?

Jenson has won jack squat. If it wasn't for the fact that JV is cruising on his fat wallet he'd be looking for a ride with the IRL.

Lizzerd
07-21-03, 06:40 PM
I'm with you regarding JV's talent, mapguy. He has a history of winning. But, in racing it's a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing.

Methinks he has been led astray in recent years by one Craig Pollock. The BAR deal looked good at first (WDC developing new car and getting big dollars to do so), but has gotten stale. I think the combination of aging a bit, the huge $$$, and a car that never met expectations despite JV's involvement has shaved away at the edge he once had.

I still like the guy, though.

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:44 PM
I don't think so. There were 23 races last year in F1?
yea, well, that's how many races BAR could run, mclaren on the other hand could afford 65 races and ferrari was able to afford hundreds of them, thus why they won the championship, it's not so much that the F2002 was so hot, it was just cheap, so ferrari was able to afford to make and race lots of them at grand prix on all 7 continents :)

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:45 PM
Jenson is not God. Not one person here has said he is. He is a solid young driver that is making the most of it in F1. I think that you might be over-rating poor JV just a tad though... or clinging on to some long past successes.

Flavio replaced Fisichella with Trulli for the same reason that he replaced Button with Alonso. $$$$... oh and he manages both drivers. Button beat Trulli last year. 14-9 remember?

Button was replaced by Juan Pablo Montoya. Hmmmm... do I really need to elaborate more?

Yes, Jenson has won squat in terms of F1 race wins. He has won favor among many of F1's power brokers, including Frank Williams. He has won over his current team... and yes, he has made poor old Jacques look down right silly. Not a bad job at all. :)

B++

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:46 PM
My bad. If Jenson Button is god (in your eyes) then why did he get let go by Williams and Benetton( Briatore wanted to let him go mid season)?

Jenson has won jack squat. If it wasn't for the fact that JV is cruising on his fat wallet he'd be looking for a ride with the IRL.

and if you think he's so undeserving of F1 how can he beat a WDC easily, and beat a far more experienced teammate last year, and how come KIMI will this year finally for ONCE outscore his teammate?

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:48 PM
and if you think he's so undeserving of F1 how can he beat a WDC easily, and beat a far more experienced teammate last year, and how come KIMI will this year finally for ONCE outscore his teammate?

I am still waiting on why Button should be in F1. JV won his title before driver aids.

Would you pick Heidfeld over Kimi? Coulthard over Kimi?

C'mon.:rolleyes:

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:49 PM
I am still waiting on why Button should be in F1. JV won his title before driver aids.

Would you pick Heidfeld over Kimi? Coulthard over Kimi?

C'mon.:rolleyes:
yea, i'd pick nick over kimi.

but hey, what's kimi won? f-renault? excuse me while i shake in my boots. lets have TA champs go straight to F1 while we're at it!

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:55 PM
yea, i'd pick nick over kimi.

but hey, what's kimi won? f-renault? excuse me while i shake in my boots. lets have TA champs go straight to F1 while we're at it!

OK. :rolleyes:

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:57 PM
OK. :rolleyes:
you obviously rate kimi, button's obviously nowhere near as good as kimi, but hey, he's beaten an experienced teammate, is about to do it again, and hasn't embaressed himself at all aside from vs. fisi '01, and is a multiple race winner in the most difficult intl feeder series, so what's the deal? not the most deserving, hardly "not deserving at all."

mapguy
07-22-03, 06:10 AM
Crapus and Ank-

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree regarding JV/Button. I got a little heated in the arguement and I want to apologize.

And Crapus, I didn't appreciate you pissing all over what was intended to be a light-hearted and humourus look at the F1 season.

cartmanoz
07-22-03, 06:23 AM
#1. Michael Schumacher - B+

Most arrogant bastard to ever grace a Formula One track, but there is still no denying that he has skill. But he's a low-down, dirty rotten racer with no scruples whatsoever. Still, he's on top. A

#2. Rubens Barrichello - C+

Been quiet all year but he's got the job done on most occassions. But still being made to look second rate by many others now. Chance he may be out of the limelight soon. B-

#3. Juan Montoya - B

Never gives up, knows how to race, balls-to-the-wall driver. But that does get him in trouble and he can be inconsistent. But he's cracked a win, and been on the podium more often than not. Move of the year on MS. B+

#4 Ralf Schumacher - B+

Two wins, but only after negative press and future at the team was clouded. He's consistently in the points, but he's an inconsistent driver. I refuse to call him racer because he simply cannot race. B

#5 David Coulthard - C

Classy win in Australia, been out-classed ever since. Still, he'll probably be at McLaren next year despite all that. C-

#6 Kimi Raikkonen - A

Has the personality of a sponge, but he does his talking on the track. He's made errors, but he's been on the pace all season. Great win in Malaysia and been fast everywhere else in a year old car. He'll take the WDC to the wire. A

#7 Jarno Trulli - B-

He's looked good at times during qualifying and racing but he's still just damn unlucky. Needs to get his mind focused for 100% of the race, not 50%. C

#8 Fernando Alonso - A

Can't really think of anything he's done wrong. Raced and qualified well, mixed it with the big guns and lies high in the points table. Superb job. A+

#9 Nick Heidfeld - C-

Working his ass off in a car clearly not working in a team clearly going backwards. Becoming forgotten so a move will be a must by years end. C

#10 Heinz-Harald Frentzen - D

One lucky result in Brazil but other than that it's been a forgetful year, most notably his first lap crash at Monaco. Retirement beckons. E

#11 Giancarlo Fisichella - C+

Finally a win but you can tell his confidence is down when Firman is almost matching him. Needs a top ride otherwise he is truly a talent wasted. C

#12 Ralph Firman - C-

Trying his best and doing a good job while he's at it. Starting to match Fisi at times which is no mean task. C

#14 Mark Webber - A+

Story of the year so far. Putting the Jaguar where it shouldn't be half the time. Team is starting to gel around him. Some fantastic drives, highlighted by two well-earned 6ths. A+

#15 Antonio Pizzonia - F

Pathetic. Has rarely matched his team-mate and looks out of his depth. E

#16 Jacques Villeneuve - C-

Has shown flashes of ability but has gained more press by mouthing off than any results. Likely to be on the move next year. Where? Who knows and who really cares. D

#17 Jenson Button - C-

Still nowhere near the sort of form he showed at Williams. Up and down season, mostly stagnating nearer towards the top. Focus more on his racing and he'd be ok. C

#18 Justin Wilson - A+

Great season. Sensational starter and racer. Already on the move to Jaguar. Should now score points regularly. A+

#19 Jos Verstappen - D

Done nothing of note this season but has been in the headlines for the right reasons - most notably prov. pole in France. He's trying his best. C

#20 Olivier Panis - C

Hired by Toyota to develop the car. He's doing his job well but been bloody unlucky with reliability. Should still be there next year but no longer than that. C

#21 Cristiano daMatta - B

Another good rookie performance. Learning circuits quickly and matching Panis more often than not. Rarely makes an error. Led stages in Britain which would be a confidence booster. B+

Dirty Sanchez
07-22-03, 09:18 AM
Crapus and Ank-

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree regarding JV/Button. I got a little heated in the arguement and I want to apologize.

And Crapus, I didn't appreciate you pissing all over what was intended to be a light-hearted and humourus look at the F1 season. Apology accepted.

I didn't piss all over your attempt at humor. I actually laughed at some of the things you wrote (remember "E for Effort, dude" comment?). I did piss on your grades, especially where Button and JV are concerned. :shakehead

Ankf00
07-22-03, 10:24 AM
Crapus and Ank-

And Crapus, I didn't appreciate you pissing all over what was intended to be a light-hearted and humourus look at the F1 season. s'coo, I enjoyed reading the season review :) and the lil debate was nice and enjoyable in the middle of class, haha