PDA

View Full Version : Can one be sad and happy?

Kiwifan
07-18-03, 09:32 PM
Can one be sad and happy at the same time? Just heard on the radio that Scott has pole again in the IRL. Another sad thing is, I don't even know where they are racing. :( How bad is that? I'm not bagging anyone who loves watching the boys over there it's that I just have no passion. None. I should be proud that a Kiwi is up there making it big in sport but I just can't.

Sorry 'bird and all the others who follow both series, I guess it's just me. (sigh.):confused:

Rusty.

RaceGrrl
07-18-03, 09:38 PM
You can be sad and happy. It's sad that Scott has to risk his back in the Inferior League, but you have my permission to be happy that he's doing well, no matter where he is. ;)

Kiwifan
07-18-03, 09:39 PM
Thanks, I knew you would understand. :) :)

Rusty.

pchall
07-18-03, 09:47 PM
I'm pleased to hear that he is doing well, but concerned about his career and his safety. Is that close?

JT265
07-18-03, 09:49 PM
Can one be sad and happy?

Well, if you were to use the example of your mother-in-law heading over a cliff in your brand spanking new convertible, I would respectfully have to say.......

Hell Yeah! :D

RaceChic
07-18-03, 09:55 PM
I think it is a difficult position. When you respect and admire someone from your country and then the go to the IRL, it is a pain. I think if Patrick Carpentier, PT or Tag did that, I'd feel the same. :(

racer2c
07-18-03, 10:09 PM
I came the closest I ever have in attending this years IRL race in Richmond. I'm just down the road, tickets where basically free and, well most influential was the fact that I followed De Ferren, Andretti, Kanaan, Dixon, all the CART guys for years. Heck, I still have some of their paraphernalia. The day before the race I said, and I quote "F it."

I feel good with my decision. No regrets.

Railbird
07-18-03, 10:35 PM
I'm heading down to music city in the morning Rusty, rest assured I'll be cheering for Dixon.

The few times I've had a chance to speak with Scott at various tracks I found him to be very intense and focused on his job. I was lucky enough last winter to encounter him in a bar setting and saw his humorous and engaging side.

Quite the character.

BTW, not that I'll mention it often, but I'm collecting a bet or two on the other site on Dixon and Cheep being a force this year.

Rusty, did you ever think your boy would be racing under the lights on a concrete oval with a guitar for a trophy?

WooHooooooo!

TRDfan
07-18-03, 10:43 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from.

I got interested in CART because of working at a Toyota dealership. But after learning more about it, attending some races, and meeting some of the wonderful people (many on this forum) I became a fan of the series, not just the Toyota guys.

When Toyota when roundy-round racing I was (and still am) bumming. I'm really happy that they are dominating, but going in circles all day sure gets boring. As my son says "I like the squiggly ones better"

I do watch (nap) the IRL races, but am much more into the CART races I get to see.

pchall
07-18-03, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by TRDfan
As my son says "I like the squiggly ones better"

You clearly are bringing that boy up right.

:)

Kiwifan
07-18-03, 11:10 PM
Rusty, did you ever think your boy would be racing under the lights on a concrete oval with a guitar for a trophy?

Nope. I remember him as a baby faced 11 year old on TV and he was pretty classy back way back then. I think he has always aspired to F1 like a lot of racers but in '96 when I discovered CART I truly believed that (the series) was the purest form of open-wheeled racing in the World. I guess it's swings and roundabouts but have we forgotten how strong we were back then?

Was it greed or ineptitude that let owners, sponsors and drivers slip away. Have no doubt that Penske and the others have given so much to motor racing over the years but the crap from their camp over the last few years has seriously eroded that goodwill. For me at least.

:D :D :D I'm laughing at myself. I started off about feeling sad/happy for Scott and I'm ranting about thanking/cursing Penske and Chip. Seems like I can't make up my mind today. Best I go and make a coffee and watch a tape of "The Thunder Downunder", Gold Coast 1991. Either that or go and look at my Lexmark Indy tickets for October. ;) (Just had to get that in!! )

Rant over.

Rusty.

Railbird
07-18-03, 11:30 PM
Good deal Rusty

Glad you get to check them out live at such a great location, in fact I'm jealous.

CART circa 96 was realing in the fans with the best package of diversity in both circuits and competitors.

Grand days.

krunch
07-20-03, 05:11 AM
I hear you Rusty!

Decided to watch the race today.
Being on at lunchtime meant I didn't have to go too far out of my way.

It was the third race I have watched this year and I must say it was hardly edge of your seat stuff.
Gave up on it after the last round of pitstops and went and did something with what was left of the day.

I really want to be happy for Dixon.
After all he does have a great team around him.

Just can't help thinking he is screwed no matter what happens this year.
If he wins the Championship it will be seen as not such a big deal as its only the irl.
If he doesn't win it he will look bad because he couldn't even win this sad series.

You just gotta wonder what all these talented young racers have to aspire to these days...

Kiwifan
07-20-03, 06:16 AM
I think you can see what I mean eh? I remember talking to Kenny Smith at Levels and he was pretty down on this year but was positive something good would happen in 04. Here's hoping! :)

Remember the TV news last year, every second kid was wanting a Champ Car ride, this year, nothing. :(

Check your PM.

Rusty.

krunch
07-21-03, 09:17 PM
Maybe I take this whole Dixon/IRL thing too seriously.

It's just that He's the first Driver from down our way for a while who looks like he has what it takes to go all the way.

I remember when Paul Radisich was the hard-out young open-wheeler off to conquer the world.
He ended up settling for what he could get,touring cars.
While he has had a somewhat successful career and built up a tremendous following in both Europe and Australasia.
I can't help wondering what might have happened for him in different circumstances.

So I guess I'll just settle for looking sad and Dixon can be happy that he's racing and continuing to make a name for himself.

Best of luck to him and all those around him.

nz_climber
07-21-03, 09:36 PM
I feel the same as you Rusty... here's hoping scott gets to race on "squiggly" race tracks soon