PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Applies To Use New Engine In IRL

pchall
07-17-03, 10:34 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/7221/

"Panther and its driver, Sam Hornish Jr., have tested the Cosworth several times, including a mileage run July 7 at Kansas Speedway in which the engine reportedly turned laps more than 5mph faster than Hornish's qualifying speed two days prior."

I wonder what the reaction of Toyota and Honda would be if Chevy's new Ford smokes them right out of the crate?

racer2c
07-17-03, 11:10 AM
I'm sure they would simply pour more money into Chip and Rog's engines.

mapguy
07-17-03, 11:11 AM
I kind of hope that the new Chevy-powered by Ford smokes T&H out of the box. I have a feeling that the reaction will make spacer-gate look tame.

RaceGrrl
07-17-03, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
I kind of hope that the new Chevy-powered by Ford smokes T&H out of the box. I have a feeling that the reaction will make spacer-gate look tame.

That would be so sweet. :D

pchall
07-17-03, 11:26 AM
Interestingly, GM makes no mention of a relationship with Cosworth...

official GM release (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=130299&FS=IRL)

Do they think the fans don't know?

Wheel-Nut
07-17-03, 11:39 AM
So now the Chevy is the fourth slowest motor on the grid!!

FRANKY
07-17-03, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Interestingly, GM makes no mention of a relationship with Cosworth...

official GM release (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=130299&FS=IRL)

Do they think the fans don't know?

Even the non-fans know. However people tend to not advertise their screw ups.

DaveL
07-17-03, 12:23 PM
So much for the independent engine builders...just one more reason why the IRL was necessary down the drain. There is no way in hell Cosworth is going to sell one of those engines so a team can tinker with it themselves. They'll get around the engine builder requirement by making Speedway their rebuilder, but only Speedway.

Never the less, the Chevy teams still won't have factory bucks to buy them whatever they need to be competitive, and they'll still be paying for their engines, unlike the choosen T&H teams.

Wasn't all of this what made CART EVIL and the IRL necessary.

What Version of the Vision are we on now?

JLMannin
07-17-03, 12:30 PM
Maybe Hemmelgarn, Menard, Foyt, and the other Indy-only teams from the late 80's and early 90's can split off and form a third series? :D :D :D

FRANKY
07-17-03, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

Blurred.

RaceGrrl
07-17-03, 12:42 PM
Or double...

One 'vision' for Tony and the lemmings, and one for the people who see the truth...

JLMannin
07-17-03, 12:43 PM
The latter vision is still on its initial version.

Napoleon
07-17-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

Damn, even I am beginning to loose track, but maybe 8.9 (copywrited by Napoleon).

chop456
07-17-03, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
Even the non-fans know. However people tend to not advertise their screw ups.

GM ran an ad campaign a while back that basically said "Yeah, we sucked. But we're much better now!" No joke.

sundaydriver
07-17-03, 02:20 PM
It's too bad that Cosworth didn't demand that their name be on the car somewhere, even if it is small, so that people knew. :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
07-17-03, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by mapguy

I'm sure by the start of next season they will be back in their old spot on the back of the grid, Cosworth or not. That'll sure make their investment in new engines worthwhile!