PDA

View Full Version : First time karting

Canon2292
07-16-03, 09:25 PM
I'll be karting next week. Any advice that will make me better first time out? Do I brake in a straight line or trail brake? Do I lay the power on early or coast through turns? I want the heads up and I don't want to be humiliated.:)

devilmaster
07-16-03, 09:46 PM
fun karting or professional karting?

I am going to assume you mean fun karting....

I mean, it might be too late for next week, but I like to think i've gotten better at kart driving by reading both Skip Barber's book and Memo Gidley's book.

It gives the basic concepts of driving... (line, braking, etc) but perhaps the best thing here is if you are going to a place to go karting, go ahead of time, get a few laps in and tell the guys running it you want him to drive with you.... following a worker from the karting track, who knows how to drive it, will give you an idea on proper line, brake points and such. Could mean the difference between 1 to 3 seconds a lap, depending on how big the track is.

Most of all, if you're not the fastest, who cares, find another person on the track who is about the same skills and you'll have alot of fun with them.

Have fun, eh! :thumbup:
Steve

Railbird
07-16-03, 10:02 PM
#1 Wear an ascot and a monocle

#2 Run into everyone and everything you can catch

#3 Declare yourself Barron Von Recktoften and ask who's buyin'.

devilmaster
07-16-03, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

Well thats RaceChic in a nutshell :laugh: ;)

Steve

Sean O'Gorman
07-16-03, 10:28 PM
Go smooth and work on good corner exits. If we are talking indoor karting, you should be near the pace after 3 or 4 heats. Heck, last time I was at Speeds in Columbus I lapped faster than a 10 time WKA champion. Then he blew me away in 2 straight races. :D

rocket
07-16-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Well thats RaceChic in a nutshell :laugh: ;)

Steve

Oh boy I'd hate to be in your shoes when she sees that one.:rofl:

Cam
07-16-03, 11:06 PM
Don't lift your visor.......

baffle
07-17-03, 01:18 AM
drink heavily, both before and after. it makes you drive faster (my empirical data indicates each tequila shot is good for a tenth, minimum) and you'll be much better prepared for the bench racing afterward. :D

rocket
07-17-03, 01:20 AM
baffle's status may say rookie...but he sounds like a pro to me.:thumbup:

BTW welcome aboard.

baffle
07-17-03, 01:27 AM
shoot. busted already. :laugh:

Napoleon
07-17-03, 06:16 AM

Damn, I now have coffee on my keyboard.

:rofl:

Warlock!
07-17-03, 07:25 AM
When you have a clean track in front of you, indoor karts are usually all about momentum. You may need to brake a bit early so you can take the line thru the corner that reduces your speed the least, cause these karts don't accellerate like a gas-powered shifter kart. When attempting a pass, go bonzia-deep into a corner, out-brake your competitor, and make sure you get your kart smack-dab in the middle of his exit-line... your momentum will be shot to hell with the big braking move and you're gonna need to slow down his exit speed to stay in front.

Also, bring your own helmet if you have one. Putting on a helmet with someone else's cold sweat in the padding is kinda nasty.

Oh... and the alcohol thing helps too.

Warlock!

cart7
07-17-03, 10:06 AM
Fake a heavy spanish accent, carry a really thick wallet and when getting ready to drive, hand it to your wife, girlfriend or friend and say "would you mind holding the Hollywood money?" Drive aggressively running other drivers off the circuit and take a least one off course shunt yourself. If you do all that, you might get approached by an irl scout looking for a thick walleted Brazilian and offered a front-line drive.

RacinM3
07-17-03, 12:53 PM
If you don't want to be humiliated, don't trail brake, and .

don't get on the power early (but don't coast - use steady-state on the throttle).

This ain't GPL, you know. ;)

RaceChic
07-17-03, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by rocket
Oh boy I'd hate to be in your shoes when she sees that one.:rofl:

You're dead meat devilmaster!!!!
Now I am going to have to drive four hours to kick your butt! :flame:

JoeBob
07-17-03, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic

Don't encourage him!

devilmaster
07-17-03, 01:17 PM
You're dead meat devilmaster!!!!

Rocket, you'll protect me right???
Rocket?
Buddy?
Free Players and Bubbas for ya Joe....
Joe?
hmmm... Joe is one smart lad. :laugh:

;)
Steve

chop456
07-17-03, 01:20 PM
At least she didn't ask you to go pick her up so she could kick your ass. :D

devilmaster
07-17-03, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by chop456

:laugh:

Well, if she makes it down in time, the track in Detroit I go to... www.kart2kart.com has ladies night on thursdays.... 2 free sessions!

I assume thats just for real ladies, not guys who drive like one ;)

Steve

RaceChic
07-17-03, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by chop456

That's a great idea, Chop!!!! :D

BTW, What is an ascot and a monocle??? :confused: And don't make fun of me....... :(

Napoleon
07-17-03, 01:45 PM
BTW, What is an ascot and a monocle??? :confused: And don't make fun of me....... :(

Your kidding, right. Ascot it a kind of a scarf thing

http://www.robertdaskal.com/store_womens/scarf_guide/ascot.gif

A monocle is a single lens eyeglass like this.

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/klink.gif

The vision that Bird was trying to evoke in his post is a popular vision of "The Red Baron" a famous WWI German fighter who is often depicted in his open cockpit with his monocle and ascot flapping in the wind behind him. His character was used as the foil for Snoopy of Peanuts fame when he would imagine himself as a WWI Allie fighter pilot.

http://www.briggsenterprises.com/bluemax/mvr_smaller.jpg

http://www.briggsenterprises.com/bluemax/

racer2c
07-17-03, 01:51 PM

Classic!:rofl:

Wheel-Nut
07-17-03, 02:02 PM
RaceChic, this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2940994363&category=3204) is for you!!

RaceChic
07-17-03, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut
RaceChic, this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2940994363&category=3204) is for you!!

You gotta be kidding, right???!!! :rofl:

And Nappy, although you have grown accustomed to my high level of intelligence (:laugh: ), there are, believe it or not, SOME things I do not know. Yes, even I! :gomer:

rocket
07-17-03, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut

What an entrepeneur.:rofl:

Canon2292
07-17-03, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.:) The ascot is a good idea, but I'll stick to my eight foot scarf.;)

Barton
07-17-03, 07:38 PM
And Nappy, although you have grown accustomed to my high level of intelligence (:laugh: ), there are, believe it or not, SOME things I do not know. Yes, even I! :gomer:

This can't be possible!

And all this time I was under the impression you were an omniscient being here to impart great quantities of wisdom upon the masses of Champ Car fans assembled throughout the year at venues across the globe and on forums across the internet.

I'll quit talking out of my ass now. ;):D

Railbird
07-17-03, 09:37 PM
but I'll stick to my eight foot scarf.

From the Isadora Duncan collection?

JT265
07-17-03, 10:27 PM
It's okay Steve, I'll help you get past the wrath of RaceChic. ;)

Gotta admit tho', she played an EXCELLENT 'king Hiro to my Jacques Villenueve in recreating Phoenix '94, didn't she?

She even had the car parked on the same jaunty angle as Hiro.

And, in my defense, just like PT a year ago May, I didn't see no stinkin' yellows either. :D

RaceChic
07-17-03, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Barton
I'll quit talking out of my ass now. ;):D

But why???!!! It is a standard I have grown fond of and accustomed to! ;)