PDA

View Full Version : PK Racing joins CART

WickerBill
01-15-03, 11:16 AM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5381

WickerBill
01-15-03, 11:34 AM
Driver and Senior Engineer within 10 days for Pollock.

WB

Turn7
01-15-03, 11:36 AM
"INDIANAPOLIS-– Well-versed in what it takes to win in the major leagues of open-wheel auto racing, former British American Racing team principal Craig Pollock and high-tech industry giant Kevin Kalkhoven have set their sights on the 2003 Champ Car World Series with today's announcement of the formation of PK Racing, a new one-car entry for the 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season....."

Read more here.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5381

JLMannin
01-15-03, 12:52 PM
The C^RT article mentions they purchased a state of the art shop in Indy. Is this the old PWR shop?

FortyOneFord
01-15-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
The C^RT article mentions they purchased a state of the art shop in Indy. Is this the old PWR shop?

They purchased the old PWR equipment, but I heard they have a "new" shop not related to the former PWR's location. But, this is according to someone else who may not know. Anyone else know if PWR's shop was on Methanol alley?

Gurneyflap
01-15-03, 03:45 PM
Methanol Alley, huh? What happens in '05?

chop456
01-15-03, 03:57 PM
"Kalkhoven will not be involved in the daily racing operations, but he is no stranger to the sport. A life-long racing enthusiast, he has competed as a driver and recently renewed his SCCA national license. As the Chairman and CEO of JDS Uniphase, the corporation's market cap grew from $35 million to $100 billion...."

And then back to $4.5 Billion. Is the puffery really necessary?

At any rate, it looks like there will be one more team with at least a shot at being decent. Let's hope it's a driver people like, or at least know.

Good news keeps on rollin'

damiandoan
01-15-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by chop456
"Kalkhoven will not be involved in the daily racing operations, but he is no stranger to the sport. A life-long racing enthusiast, he has competed as a driver and recently renewed his SCCA national license. As the Chairman and CEO of JDS Uniphase, the corporation's market cap grew from $35 million to $100 billion...."

And then back to $4.5 Billion. Is the puffery really necessary?

At any rate, it looks like there will be one more team with at least a shot at being decent. Let's hope it's a driver people like, or at least know.

Good news keeps on rollin'

Last time I checked 4.5 B is still a pretty sizezable chunk of change.

But What do I know, I'm only a stupisd truck driver. :p

DD

damiandoan
01-15-03, 04:09 PM
That has had one too many tequilas. :D :rolleyes: :shakehead :gomer:

DD

Classic Apex
01-15-03, 04:43 PM
Sha-winggggggggggggg.

Brilliant news, it just keeps getting better.

:D

WickerBill
01-15-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
Methanol Alley, huh? What happens in '05?

Probably the same thing that happened to Gasoline Alley in 1964. ;)

WB

trubritz
01-15-03, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by FortyOneFord
They purchased the old PWR equipment, but I heard they have a "new" shop not related to the former PWR's location. But, this is according to someone else who may not know. Anyone else know if PWR's shop was on Methanol alley?

Methanol Lane (off Guion Rd), PWR shop is still there - across the street from Fernandez Racing, which btw is about 5 mins from my house.

Napoleon
01-15-03, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Probably the same thing that happened to Gasoline Alley in 1964. ;)

WB

Or carberation (sp?) day.

KobySon
01-15-03, 06:14 PM
who is Russ Cameron? Pollock thanked him for helping get the team up and running so fast. advisory role of some sort...

damiandoan
01-15-03, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
who is Russ Cameron? Pollock thanked him for helping get the team up and running so fast. advisory role of some sort...

Race Engineer/ Team Manager extrordinair. Great guy overall...

DD

Gurneyflap
01-15-03, 06:54 PM
So he LOST 30.5 BILLION $$!? Thank God, someone's investments are doing worse than mine. (a little)

Fenster
01-15-03, 11:15 PM
Russell Cameron is the former team manager for PWR.

And yes, the former PWR shop was at 4001 Methanol Lane. Apparently the sign outside reads "Horizon Motorsports". The word is that Cameron was to start his own operation under this name until Pollock came along. Now named PK Racing. Cameron will be the team manager.

--Fenster.

FortyOneFord
01-16-03, 02:09 AM
Oops. Methanol Lane, thx for the correction. I guess they bought the whole thing, shop and all.

Fenster
01-16-03, 02:30 AM
I am not sure about how much truth is behind what I wrote, to be honest. I only pieced that together from different information that I have heard. The sources differ in reliability so make of it what you will.

What confuses me is that there already exists another "Horizon Motorsports" in some verison of the NHRA. Is this just a coincidence? Or is someone getting their info. all mixed up?

Maybe someone here can straighten it all out.

"Anyone? ...anyone? ...Beuller? ...Beuller?"

--Fenster.

Hink
01-16-03, 04:29 AM
Bring 'em on! HAHAHA

Good deal. More cars - bring on the drivers.

JLMannin
01-16-03, 01:06 PM
So he LOST 30.5 BILLION $$!? Thank God, someone's investments are doing worse than mine. (a little)

It was the people that purchased the over-valued stock that lost the money. I'm sure he cashed out in a timely fashion and made a few nickels.

It is really nice to have a new sponsor in the series, however.

Railbird
01-18-03, 09:22 PM
The phone hasn't quit ringing off the hook from prospective drivers. Salo has been in regulr contact.

This will be a one car team for quite a while.

Gurneyflap
01-19-03, 12:59 PM
They ought to air the test on SPEED...the "Final Five" shootout. In-car shots, telemetry, the whole thing. "Who will be Joe Millionaire Racer" for '03? I'd love to know who the phone calls are from. In 25 words or less, describe why YOU should be hired to drive for PK racing!

Railbird
01-19-03, 02:13 PM
This ride won't be determined with a test, no pure rookie candidates accepted. The word I got was that all the unsigned, and a few signed, drivers have been calling them up. This deal has gone from vaporware to top shelf ride in a very short time, it caught some off guard.

Lamarie remains the leading candidate with Salo and Herbert's names being mentioned more often of late.

I'd look for an announcement sometime this week.

Napoleon
01-19-03, 04:23 PM
They ought to air the test on SPEED...the "Final Five" shootout. In-car shots, telemetry, the whole thing. "Who will be Joe Millionaire Racer" for '03?

As long as babes in bikinis are involoved.

cart7
01-19-03, 07:21 PM
OK, is the car count at 18 or 19 now?

Gurneyflap
01-20-03, 12:02 AM
HERBERT, you say!? What do you want from me if THAT happens? I mean, he's become the the answer to a forum trivia question. I know there'd be no test, but in a perfect world there should be. See "Driver Search", CBS, Wednesday!

mnkywrch
01-24-03, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one to see PK Racing as JV's "safety valve" if he can't find a ride in F1 in 2004?

JT265
01-24-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Am I the only one to see PK Racing as JV's "safety valve" if he can't find a ride in F1 in 2004?

Yep. :p