PDA

View Full Version : Well, at least he is American!

Wheel-Nut
07-15-03, 10:29 AM
Saw this on another board.

Lazier out, Gidley in.

LINK (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/8/058006-2908-037.html)

lone_groover
07-15-03, 10:41 AM
Gidley exudes "loser". CART don't need sad-sack hobos like him sniffin' around.

So long, sucker!

FRANKY
07-15-03, 11:28 AM
If Gidley broke through at Mid-Ohio the story on him could be evry different. Replacing Lazier sure as hell isn't much of a climb up a ladder.

DaveL
07-15-03, 11:54 AM
Gidley is a good racer. I won't knock him.

But the Meltdown on TenderloinForum over this is one for the ages.

Wheel-Nut
07-15-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Gidley is a good racer. I won't knock him.

But the Meltdown on TenderloinForum over this is one for the ages.

You're not kidding about the meltdown. One of the beloved originals is being replaced by a CARTisan!! Oh the humanity!

cart7
07-15-03, 12:13 PM
According to a thread over at TF, the Gidley deal is for one race only. The real replacement for Lazier is German, Alex Mueller, who's over in the Deutchsland this weekend and can't make the race. This also may be the last race for the other Lazier, Jacques, as Foyt has apparently run out of money to run the #5 car until another foreign road racer shows up with a check in hand.

pchall
07-15-03, 12:25 PM
Irony is so good.

Ankf00
07-15-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by cart7
According to a thread over at TF, the Gidley deal is for one race only. The real replacement for Lazier is German, Alex Mueller, who's over in the Deutchsland this weekend and can't make the race. This also may be the last race for the other Lazier, Jacques, as Foyt has apparently run out of money to run the #5 car until another foreign road racer shows up with a check in hand.
hilarious, but hey, they got "stars n cars" and "a real tv package", no problems over in their sandbox ;)

RaceGrrl
07-15-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Irony is so good.

The irony is tasty... I just wonder if their crow is just as good.

DaveL
07-15-03, 12:51 PM
If Mueller takes the ride, one can only hope that Turn13 has enough server space to handle the Meltdown that will follow.

I thinking at least an 8 page thread.

TRDfan
07-15-03, 01:15 PM
I like the line from the Indy Star article:

"We're not even impoving on poor"

cart7
07-15-03, 01:38 PM
If Mueller takes the ride, one can only hope that Turn13 has enough server space to handle the Meltdown that will follow.

I thinking at least an 8 page thread.
7 pages and counting on the Buddy thread.;)

Racewriter
07-15-03, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by cart7
7 pages and counting on the Buddy thread.;)

Which is probably pretty low. I myself had two posts deleted. One post said this:

"This sucks.:mad:

I have no interest in CART II. Buddy is likely done - none of the CART owners would hire him then, why would they hire him now?"

The second post was in response to one of the faithful, and merely referred to Buddy's racing at I-70 in the AIS.

I bet there have been 50 posts deleted so far from that thread...

FRANKY
07-15-03, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter

I bet there have been 50 posts deleted so far from that thread...

Too much blah blah blah in it. Better to lock it down.

Napoleon
07-15-03, 02:07 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DaveL
07-15-03, 02:43 PM
The reason why Buddy never got a look from a decent CART team in the early 90s was because he hadn't done a damn thing in his career to have merited one. He was Buddy Backmarker then and gave no one a reason to look at him.

Not that I really care about Buddy's fortunes, mind you. It's not as if he has to worry about where his next meal will come from.

Napoleon
07-15-03, 02:46 PM
It's not as if he has to worry about where his next meal will come from.

Pretty safe to say it will come from the Trivoli Lodge.

http://www.tivolilodge.com/

rabbit
07-15-03, 03:02 PM
Now at 10 pages total, if you add this thread (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30106) to the count.:laugh:

Ankf00
07-15-03, 03:35 PM
the guys in that thread don't seem to recall the IRL500 winners who won their first race out

pchall
07-15-03, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
The irony is tasty... I just wonder if their crow is just as good.
This recipe might help:

Pan Fried Crow -- Tenderloin Style

"So Good You'll Want To Bitch Slap Tony George"

Ingredients

2 eggs
lemon pepper seasoned bread crumbs or flour
olive oil, butter or bacon grease

Preparation

Cut breast meat medallions from as many crows as required by your level of humiliation. Beat each medallion a with meat hammer (for tenderizing) until it is 1/4 inch thick. Ocassionally stop and beat yourself over the head just because. Dip medallions in beaten egg and then in seasoned bread crumbs or flour. Fry in olive oil and butter in medium hot skillet. Bacon grease can be substituted but can smoke than a blown Offy. Leave inside a tad pink.

Sides

Serve with eight years of hope shattered by remorse and despair, an ear of corn roasted in husk, and a baked potato with plenty of sour cream and bitter garni.

devilmaster
07-15-03, 03:46 PM
This recipe might help:

Ingredients

2 eggs

Preparation

Cut breast meat medallions from as many crows as required by your level of humiliation. Beat each medallion a with meat hammer (for tenderizing) until it is 1/4 inch thick. Ocassionally stop and beat yourself over the head just because. Dip medallions in beaten egg and then in seasoned bread crumbs or flour. Fry in olive oil and butter in medium hot skillet. Bacon grease can be substituted but can smoke than a blown Offy. Leave inside a tad pink.

Sides

Serve with eight years of hope shattered by remorse and despair, an ear of corn roasted in husk, and a baked potato with plenty of sour cream and bitter garni.

Drink: sour milk or IMS's own brand of kool-aid.....

Steve

Racewriter
07-15-03, 03:46 PM
This recipe might help:

Ingredients

2 eggs

Preparation

Sides

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pc, that's your best effort ever...

RacinM3
07-15-03, 03:51 PM
The IRL today: half the fans hate it for what it was and is, and the other half hate it for what it's becoming.

Exactly who is going to be watching these races in the upcoming years? :confused:

pchall
07-15-03, 04:00 PM
The reason why Buddy never got a look from a decent CART team in the early 90s was because he hadn't done a damn thing in his career to have merited one. He was Buddy Backmarker then and gave no one a reason to look at him.

You mean all those American Indycar Series wins at I-70 Speedway didn't mean squat?

RaceGrrl
07-15-03, 04:04 PM

It's just that good.

racer2c
07-15-03, 04:07 PM
He was Buddy Backmarker then and gave no one a reason to look at him.

Not true. I looked at him for a split second of recognition at the Cleveland CART race in '94. Then I spent about five minutes checking out his girlfriend.

DaveL
07-15-03, 04:38 PM
You mean all those American Indycar Series wins at I-70 Speedway didn't mean squat?

The meant as much as being the tennis champ at the local country club.

Pretty much the same group of competitors.

Ankf00
07-15-03, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
It's just that good.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, croooooooooooooooooooooooow
*droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*

http://members.tripod.com/~pearly-abraham/homer/homer-drool.gif

Ziggy
07-15-03, 05:19 PM
The fall out does seem to be a bit over the top. They hoped and hoped that some well funded racing teams would come to their series, and getting them from CART was all the better. This spelled the death of the "little guy" and once the Japanese engine makers showed up, the sweet strains of the fat lady singing had arrived.

In a league formed on parity, it amazes me that there are fans who still buy into the ruse. Engines are leased, and the number of engines supplied was set way back in March. There is no magic rabbit in the hat for Chevy to pull their fortunes out of the gutter. The fall out will be the beloved Sam Hornish either going to taxi's or over to the evil Roger Penske (or a Honda team, let the bidding begin) While anti Penske sentiment was at an all time high in 1996, and now borders on complete memory loss now that He is back in "their" series.

Stay tuned for complete reversal version three.

Nothing about this is good. It was, and continues to be, a series built on lies and self serving desires. USAC Headquarters is one city block away from the offices of IMS, yet no promotion of drivers from this sanctioning body has ever been established in reguards to seat time in rear engine machines.

Since 1961 folks, 42 years worth of living in the past.

Racing is a money game, if you have it, its great. When your out, its "remember that guy"

Ziggy

JT265
07-15-03, 08:52 PM
You guys are gonna love this, but help me out here. When I left for Europe in April, Slo-Bud was out of a ride, cause Ronnie spent the $$$ on vittles or something.

and...

Although the IRL500 is THE largest, biggest, and best single day sporting event in the whole world, sadly (:D ), I couldn't find a single station from Dusseldorf to Kiev that would air it, or any of the other gems they hold either, although I never missed an F1 or ChampCar race.

So, now that my long-winded lead in is done, I have a question.

Who exactly WAS Slo-Bud driving for anyway?, and was his sponsor TBA?

Chief
07-16-03, 12:27 PM
Beat each medallion a with meat hammer (for tenderizing) until it is 1/4 inch thick. Ocassionally stop and beat yourself over the head just because......Serve with eight years of hope shattered by remorse and despair, an ear of corn roasted in husk, and a baked potato with plenty of sour cream and bitter garni.

ROTFLMFAO pchall! Classic recipe! :rofl:

They couldn't have scripted a better comedy if they tried. I'm starting to love the IRL just for the comedic relief it brings, day in and day out.

cart7
07-16-03, 01:46 PM
FLASH FLASH FLASH

This just in, Memo showed up at Hemelgarns shop and they told him thanks, but we've changed our mind, Buddy is staying. :rolleyes: What a class A outfit. They could've at least contacted him and told him don't bother coming in.

racer2c
07-16-03, 02:02 PM
I'm contacting McKean and Guest. They have to make a parody movie on the IRL. It writes itself!

JoeBob
07-16-03, 02:26 PM
We can call the movie, "Ten Simple Ways to Get Tony Bucks Without Really Trying."

Sean O'Gorman
07-19-03, 12:20 AM
Wow, its a good thing that the IRL was able to hang on to Buddy for this weekend's race. His grid position tells me that his presence is going to make all the difference come race day. :laugh:

racer2c
07-19-03, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
Wow, its a good thing that the IRL was able to hang on to Buddy for this weekend's race. His grid position tells me that his presence is going to make all the difference come race day. :laugh:

Do the harcore lemmings claim Tomas as one of their own, because if not, you have to go to 12 to find a real racer they can stand behind. Or is it Brack? Needless to say, their hopes are thinning dramatically. The old guard is at the back.

1) Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target/Chip Ganassi Racing Panoz GForce/Toyota, 22.6952sec/206.211mph
2) Helio Castroneves, No. 3 Marlboro Team Penske Dallara/Toyota, 25.3767/215.631
3) Tora Takagi, No. 12 Pioneer/Mo Nunn Racing Panoz GForce/Toyota, 22.8236/205.051
4) Gil de Ferran, No. 3 Marlboro Team Penske Dallara/Toyota, 22.8281/205.010
5) Tomas Scheckter, No. 10 Target/Chip Ganassi Racing Panoz GForce/Toyota, 22.8871/204.482
6) Alex Barron, No. 21 Hollywood Mo Nunn Racing Panoz GForce/Toyota, 22.9029/204.341
7) Bryan Herta, No. 27 Alpine/Archipelago/Andretti Green Racing Dallara/Honda, 22.9086/204.290
8) Dan Wheldon, No. 26 Jim Beam/Klein Tools Dallara/Honda, 22.9144/204.238
9) Kenny Brack, No. 15 Miller Lite/Pioneer Dallara/Honda, 22.9594/203.838
10) Tony Kanaan, No. 11 7-Eleven/Andretti Green Racing Dallara/Honda, 22.9683/203.759
11) Roger Yasukawa, No. 55 Panasonic/ARTA/Super Aguri Fernandez Racing Dallara/Honda, 23.0367/203.154
12) Greg Ray, No. 13 TrimSpa/Access Motorsports Panoz GForce/Honda, 23.0528/203.012
13) Al Unser Jr., No. 31 Corteco/Kelley Racing Dallara/Toyota, 23.1196/202.426
14) Scott Sharp, No. 8 Delphi Automotive Systems Dallara/Toyota, 23.1496/202.163
15) Vitor Meira, No. 2 Johns Manville/Menards Dallara/Chevrolet, 23.1780/201.916
16) A.J. Foyt IV, No. 14 Conseco/A.J. Foyt Racing Panoz GForce/Toyota, 23.2588/201.214
17) Buddy Rice, No. 52 Red Bull Cheever Racing Dallara/Chevrolet, 23.4696/199.407
18) Sarah Fisher, No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dallara/Chevrolet, 23.4983/199.163
19) Robbie Buhl, No. 24 Team Purex/Aventis/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dallara-Chevrolet, 23.5075/199.085
20) Sam Hornish Jr., No. 4 Pennzoil Panther Dallara/Chevrolet, 23.6092/198.228
21) Buddy Lazier, No. 91 Hemelgarn Racing Dallara/Chevrolet, 23.7782/196.819

mapguy
07-19-03, 06:48 AM
Looks like Slo-Bud has got the Hemelgarn short-bus bringing up the rear.

Looks like Toney got what he wanted all along. C^RT circa 1995 but without the road courses and fans.

This reminds me of something said by either DaveL or Mike Kellner. It was "Pole day was C^RT day and bump day was USAC day".

Gurneyflap
07-23-03, 10:55 PM
And you know the crap thing about it is, he's such a nice guy, he's been through a lot, and it's sort of sad to see any athlete's job coming to a screeching halt. The forum stuff is funny but being let go isn't. Hasn't it happened to some of you? And don't trash Memo, either. I hope he wins the next damn race and they tell German-guy to stay home! I just can't smile much at what is happening in OWR, on EITHER side!

racer2c
07-23-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
And you know the crap thing about it is, he's such a nice guy, he's been through a lot, and it's sort of sad to see any athlete's job coming to a screeching halt. The forum stuff is funny but being let go isn't. Hasn't it happened to some of you? And don't trash Memo, either. I hope he wins the next damn race and they tell German-guy to stay home! I just can't smile much at what is happening in OWR, on EITHER side!

I've lost a job or two. Sure it sucks. But I'm not a millionaire, he is.

Gurneyflap
07-24-03, 06:21 PM
That is SUCH a lame argument...always has been. I wonder why all those rich gentleman drivers in the pre-war days and even into the '50s risked life and limb (and often gave it)? BECAUSE they were "rich" or because they fed on the rush of competition and the desire to prove their skill and worth in a tangible way other than with cash? Why always blame the money involved when trying to assess the REAL worth of an individual? You then become no better than those who belittle someone because they are poor, or uneducated, or talk funny, or dress differently. No, I couldn't care less if a PERSON like Mike Tyson was banned from boxing for his actions outside the ring (oh, wait a minute...) but when the career of a gentleman like Buddy Lazier nears an end I just get a little wistful and don't even consider his financial standing. My career is ending soon. Given the parameter you set for Buddy, you'd LOVE me!!

racer2c
07-24-03, 07:23 PM
Lame ass comparison pal, the racers in the era that you are talking about didn't have the option of making millions.

Buddy has the cash, he's a wanker, he should fade away like all the other wankers.

Wistful of Lazier? You're on the wrong forum.

Gurneyflap
07-25-03, 03:40 PM
Pal? Oh, my. "The option of making millions"?...no, you see, the ones I was talking about were those who already HAD millions. I understand what you are saying, I merely think it a poor excuse to trash someone. As far as being on the wrong forum, you could be correct, but I won't judge it on your replies alone, if you don't mind. You may put this topic in your "win" colmn if you'd like. Moving on...