PDA

View Full Version : Tracy almost suspended from Toronto race.

mapguy
07-15-03, 09:36 AM
Per the Toronto Sun. (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam030715/col_mcnulty-sun.html)

RaceChic
07-15-03, 09:45 AM
Quote:
"It could be that pressures leading up to a critical CART board of directors meeting this Thursday in Indianapolis to deal with the future of the series played a part in the incident, another source said."

I would lean towards this satatement. Mr. Pook is a well presented and very classy man. We never really know how much truly goes on that we are not privy to. In the end it worked out well. PT dominated his home race in Toronto during Team Player's last year. Being banned from that race would have cost him in ways that you cannot even put a price tag on. The fact that Chris Pook not only withdrew the ban from Toronto's race, but also the $15,000 fine tells me that he is still a very reasonable man. Tensions are running very high right now. I saw him a couple of times over the weekend and said hello. He was courteous, but seemed very distracted also. :)

Don Quixote
07-15-03, 09:46 AM
If they suspended him, it would have been a PR gaffe of Heitzler-like proportions. I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed.

RaceGrrl
07-15-03, 09:54 AM
It also says something about Paul Tracy's character that he thought that he may have stepped over a line. He apparently does have some sense about what the limits of his bad boy behavior are.

RaceChic
07-15-03, 09:58 AM
Quote:
"Something has got to be done about the Player's team," Jourdain told Pook.

"I saw that Jimmy was upset," Carpentier said. "So I went and told him I was sorry and that I didn't do it on purpose."

Jourdain has got to stop all this whining........ He was shaking his fists outside of the car again during qualifying in Toronto on Saturday. It's like he thinks when everything doesn't work out perfectly for him it's because the entire pit lane is plotting against him.

And as usual, Patrick Carpentier is the ultimate example of a
class act! :D

KobySon
07-15-03, 10:56 AM
"It could be that pressures leading up to a critical CART board of directors meeting this Thursday in Indianapolis to deal with the future of the series played a part in the incident, another source said."

Wow! Forsythe wants someone else as pres and doesn't believe in Pook's BE buy out schemes. The Sun is working with Forsythe and the current promoter of the toronto race (suited to be the next pres of CART) on a smear campaign focused on the outster of Pook??? Pook, sensing the pressure of Forsythe, lashes out at the owner's ace driver!

That's some heavy conspiracy theory! unfortunately two events are out of order there...

I've seen a lot of canuck press of late to that notion. This Sun article, the canoe stuff... it seems pretty obvious that the anonymous source of some of this is Forsythe...

:eek:

FRANKY
07-15-03, 11:30 AM
I can't believe they would have ever suspended him. Fine maybe, suspension only after repeated warnings.

Ankf00
07-15-03, 11:36 AM
hot head + hot head == bad things.

Kate
07-15-03, 12:02 PM
I agree with RaceChic -- Jourdain needs somebody to have a talk with him about when and where to complain. Only drag racers are never blocked by others.

As far as banning Tracy from Toronto's race, even Chris Kneifel would not have been as stupid as that. The result would have made the Rocket Richard/Montreal riots of the 1950s look like a Sunday School picnic.

Wheel-Nut
07-15-03, 12:05 PM
I don't see the problem with Pook, (who is still head of the company) being on the pit road.

RaceChic
07-15-03, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut
I don't see the problem with Pook, (who is still head of the company) being on the pit road.

According to Team Player's (as per the article anyway), it was the fact that he dealt with PT in front of the public/media on pit road. :)

Ankf00
07-15-03, 01:57 PM
personally, I don't see a problem with him heading to pit road to request a meeting via team manager

Tim
07-15-03, 02:02 PM
It took Mcnulty this long to get the story correct? He wrote the original using info he heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who heard from a guy. This whole incident is the biggest non-issue to make news this year. Everything is ok between players/pook. They actually had a good laugh about what was going on in the media over the weekend.

Ankf00
07-15-03, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Rahalnut
It took Mcnulty this long to get the story correct? He wrote the original using info he heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who heard from a guy. This whole incident is the biggest non-issue to make news this year. Everything is ok between players/pook. They actually had a good laugh about what was going on in the media over the weekend.
I hereby knight you... "JournalistNut"

fourrunner
07-15-03, 03:30 PM
Well - although I read the "SUN" everyday while I was in Toronto, Mostly because of their CART Toronto coverage, AND because it was FREE at the Hospitality Tent. It's pretty much just a "Fish Wrapper Tabloid" in every other way.

Even the CART News had a sensationalist edge to it!

I rolled my eyes at a couple of the articles!

BTW - I had a Fabulous Time in Toronto!