PDA

View Full Version : What a Show in Chicago this morning...

rocket
07-15-03, 07:12 AM
The lightning was so frequent it was like a strobe light at times...blinding. I don't know how many strikes I counted where the bolt was extending between the clouds and ground for 2 or 3 seconds. I was sitting at a stoplight, and a tree was hit about 30 feet in front of me...it was like woodchip heaven, they were flyin' everywhere. At one point it was raining so hard I couldn't see a thing, the sight pretty much ended at the windshield. I did find a gas station and pulled under the canopy, just as the hail started. I was thinking friggin great, I'm driving a rental because my truck is in the shop with $2500 in hail damage from last week, and now I may be stuck again...got lucky though:)

Just amazing.

Railbird
07-15-03, 07:31 AM
Great:rolleyes:

That cell is heading our way and I've got to to leave for Columbus in about an hour.

tllips
07-15-03, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I looked out my bedroom window at about 4:30 this morning and it was like the finale of a fireworks show with an endless barrage of aerial bombs. It was like that for 45min to an hour!

Wow!

PS: Sorry to hear about the hail damage from last weeks storms. I was thinking I was glad our cars were in the garage this morning.

chop456
07-15-03, 10:50 AM
It was pretty cool downtown. Even between the tall buildings, you could still see all the lightning flashes because they were so frequent. And when it's really quiet during the night, the echoes bounce around the concrete canyons for quite a while.

Bright sunshine right now.

Very cool.

Dirty Sanchez
07-15-03, 11:36 AM
I usually sleep through T-storms. Not last night... I woke up at 5 to grade-V(icious) lightning and thunder. Didn't notice any damage in my hood as I drove in to work this morning. Northbound lanes on LSD were closed for some reason though (flooding?)

Ankf00
07-15-03, 11:38 AM
grade-V?

does lightning have a classification system, or is that just a joke?

Dirty Sanchez
07-15-03, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
grade-V?

does lightning have a classification system, or is that just a joke? :gomer: :rofl:

Turn7
07-15-03, 03:18 PM
This is what the Houston/Victoria region has been dealing with today.

I bet some of these folks would of rather had the lightning than the hurricane.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/features/71503_claudette/71503_storm9.html

Ankf00
07-15-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
This is what the Houston/Victoria region has been dealing with today.

I bet some of these folks would of rather had the lightning than the hurricane.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/features/71503_claudette/71503_storm9.html

sucks for them, thankfully it doesnt look so bad around galveston bay/clear lake on the weather radar...

the rains about to come up here though, and i'm gonna be running around in the middle of the night to find a kinkos :mad:

Warlock!
07-15-03, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
abclocal.go.com/ktrk/features/71503_claudette/71503_storm9.html
I hafta start thinkin' 'bout somethin' else. I looked at that URL and I thought the first part of the link read alcohol... so of course I went there... only to see rain. :( Stoopid subconscience!

Warlock!

Wheel-Nut
07-15-03, 05:00 PM
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/03/07/15/storm2/photo20.jpg

The EYE passing over a farmhouse.