PDA

View Full Version : silly question

pinniped
07-14-03, 10:14 AM
Thinking about crossing the border to the North for the Vancouver race...but I have never been to Canada...my question is does one need a passport to travel there?

Napoleon
07-14-03, 10:32 AM
I don't even have a passport and they let me across the boarder. I think you need or perhaps its just considered a good idea to have something with you identifying that you are a citizen of or live in the US.

RaceChic
07-14-03, 10:51 AM
I only travel into the USA with my Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. No trouble at all. :)

JT265
07-14-03, 10:53 AM
A birth certificate will do just fine if you are an American citizen, although after 9/11, both governments are suggesting that you carry a passport.

If you immigrated from another country, you will need a passport to enter Canada.

and,

lots of money and a toque too! :D

Warlock!
07-14-03, 10:55 AM
I crossed the border for the first time in a long time last winter when I had beers and cheers at Twisty's pad. The border chick asked for our passports. I gave her a blank look and told her I didn't have one. She said, quite condescendingly (which I realize isn't very hard when talking to me), "You're trying to go into a foreign country... why wouldn't you need a passport???"

I just looked at her, all stoopid like. She must have figured I was no real threat after seeing my glazed stare, so she waved us through.

So, technically, yes, you need one. Will they let you go thru without one? Probably.

Warlock!

JoeBob
07-14-03, 11:05 AM
You can probably get away with just a drivers license. A drivers license and a birth certificate are all you really need. A passport will almost always make the process faster and easier.

pinniped
07-15-03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
I crossed the border for the first time in a long time last winter when I had beers and cheers at Twisty's pad. The border chick asked for our passports. I gave her a blank look and told her I didn't have one. She said, quite condescendingly (which I realize isn't very hard when talking to me), "You're trying to go into a foreign country... why wouldn't you need a passport???"

I just looked at her, all stoopid like. She must have figured I was no real threat after seeing my glazed stare, so she waved us through.

So, technically, yes, you need one. Will they let you go thru without one? Probably.

Warlock!

Now that is funny..I think I'll try that one...okay next stupid question...are they more strict if you fly? Damn - I should know these things!

Hink
07-15-03, 02:03 AM
Never flew - just drove. Bring the birth certificate and don't let the ex-army ****** at the arch take it from you either. It never used to matter but they've wanted it for almost two years now.

It's no trouble for an American citzen going up there but I have an absolute hell of a time coming back. If they pull you to the side in Blaine - there goes at least another hour. If only I could be randomly selected to win the lottery one thousanth as often as I get "randomly" selected for additional screening ...

JT265
07-15-03, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by pinniped
Now that is funny..I think I'll try that one...okay next stupid question...are they more strict if you fly? Damn - I should know these things!

I've done both for years, and I would say it's MUCH easier to deal with the brownshirts at the airport as opposed to a border crossing, likely because you can't hide near as much stuff in your luggage as you can in a car.

A quick example. I was late catching a flight from Toronto to LA once, (US Customs & Immigration have a station inside Pearson Airport prior to boarding), when I arrived I realized that all my ID was packed in my checked bags (yes, I AM a dork :D ), so when the immigration officer asked me for ID, I gave him my best Warlock impression and a business card and told him how dumb I was, we spent 2 or 3 minutes talking about racing, and away I went.

Had I have tried that at Buffalo or Detroit, I would be up for parole about now. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
07-15-03, 09:21 AM

Yes, they check for your passport right before the jet crosses the border, and anyone found without one is handed a parachute, and tossed out.

Ankf00
07-15-03, 11:48 AM
birth cert + license for flights for the ppl at the airport counter, check out the State Dept's site... but for some reason the customs guys in Canada (both ways) wanted my expired passport and looked at me funny when i threw up my license/birth cert onto the counter...

Ankf00
07-15-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
Yes, they check for your passport right before the jet crosses the border, and anyone found without one is handed a parachute, and tossed out.
they just did that because they thought you smelled funny :p

Twisty Bits
07-16-03, 01:41 AM
This should answer a few questions

Canada Customs (http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/newsroom/factsheets/2003/july/visitingcanada-e.html)

Twisty Bits
07-16-03, 01:51 AM
Twisty's advice,
Stop at the stop sign until the car in front of you is released, turn your tunes off, take your sunglasses off, when asked what your citizenship is, don't answer for the whole vehicle, let everyone announce theirs. Answer the questions appropriately, don't look away while answering, no smart ass remarks. Be polite!

Do all this and you can avoid unecessary delays. Works for me on a weekly basis on either side. Of course there will be a few exceptions.

:D

lisa
07-16-03, 01:53 AM
When I flew in last year. They wanted both, driver's license and birth certificate. When I left, the guy just wanted my driver's license and then said, "what is a nice girl from Indiana doing here" LOL Then we talked about racing for way too long considering the line behind me.

This last weekend when I drove there and back, I wasn't asked for any ID at all, either way. Coming back to the US the guy asked me what I had been doing. I told him I had been to a Champcar race. He said, "what" and I repeated it. He looked puzzled and said, "a chickcar race?" :rofl: I just started laughing and explained what I had said. He started laughing and told me to have a good day.

Cam
07-16-03, 07:05 AM
Blondes get all the breaks! :p

pinniped
07-16-03, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by lisa
When I flew in last year. They wanted both, driver's license and birth certificate. When I left, the guy just wanted my driver's license and then said, "what is a nice girl from Indiana doing here" LOL Then we talked about racing for way too long considering the line behind me.

This last weekend when I drove there and back, I wasn't asked for any ID at all, either way. Coming back to the US the guy asked me what I had been doing. I told him I had been to a Champcar race. He said, "what" and I repeated it. He looked puzzled and said, "a chickcar race?" :rofl: I just started laughing and explained what I had said. He started laughing and told me to have a good day.

That is great. I absolutely LOVE the idea that there are women who are CART fans. But, it would have been funny if you took it and ran with it...you know, make up some big story about a series involving 18 cheerleaders racing identically prepared Rabbit convertibles while putting on makeup every other lap...see how much he'd believe.

P.S. Hey, men do plenty of stupid things too, I know...

manic mechanic
07-19-03, 07:50 PM
That is great. I absolutely LOVE the idea that there are women who are CART fans. But, it would have been funny if you took it and ran with it...you know, make up some big story about a series involving 18 cheerleaders racing identically prepared Rabbit convertibles while putting on makeup every other lap...see how much he'd believe.

Yeah...Like convincing the waitress that the guy you are drinking with raises ostriches for a living!!! :rofl: :rofl:

manic

RaceGrrl
07-19-03, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Blondes get all the breaks! :p

We don't get them all, but we do get a lot, and a smart blonde (oxymoron) exploits that. :p

RaceChic
07-19-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
We don't get them all, but we do get a lot, and a smart blonde (oxymoron) exploits that. :p

A brilliant combination, no doubt! And one that both RaceGrrl and lisa both posess. :)

On the other hand if you were a readhead, people would think you were nothing but a temperamental, fiery personality. :rolleyes:

pinniped
07-19-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by manic mechanic
Yeah...Like convincing the waitress that the guy you are drinking with raises ostriches for a living!!! :rofl: :rofl:

manic

Guilty as charged, but I don't think she was buying it for a minute! I almost forgot about this, thanks for making me laugh Manic, but no thanks for compelling me to expel very expensive Anchor Steam Summer Beer on my monitor!:cry: :D

lisa
07-20-03, 09:46 PM

But I wanted back into the country, so I didn't want to start lying. :) That would have been a good story though.

And cam, I don't get all the breaks. Even you don't always listen to me while I'm talking. :rofl:

pinniped
07-20-03, 11:39 PM
I'll believe anything you say...really, no honest...;)