PDA

View Full Version : Jacques Villeneuve starts hitting the pork rinds

pinniped
07-13-03, 05:28 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=47038

See last paragraph!:shakehead

On second thought, it might be cool on the road courses.

Cam
07-13-03, 08:10 PM
JV in NASCAR????????? :shakehead

cart7
07-14-03, 02:10 PM
After 6 years of being a hapless midpacker/backmarker, could he ever win again? Or even be competitive??

mapguy
07-16-03, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by cart7
After 6 years of being a hapless midpacker/backmarker, could he ever win again? Or even be competitive??

Damn right he can. When the car is halfway decent you can see that the commitment is there. Last year in Austria he was passing cars left and right.

Put him in a McLaren or Williams and watch the pointy-chinned, dirty, cheating bastard buy some depends.

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 04:01 PM
Pretty high praise for a driver that can't even outpace Jenson Timberlake.

Time to put JV out to pasture.

mapguy
07-16-03, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Crapus
Pretty high praise for a driver that can't even outpace Jenson Timberlake.

Time to put JV out to pasture.

Richards doesn't want him. He tried to get rid of him. How many mechanical failures has JV's car had compared to Jenson "I've done jack-spit in my career" Button. Button can't race his way out of a wet paper bag. Just ask Jarno Trulli.

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Richards doesn't want him. He tried to get rid of him. How many mechanical failures has JV's car had compared to Jenson "I've done jack-spit in my career" Button. Button can't race his way out of a wet paper bag. Just ask Jarno Trulli. Button's no superstar. Agreed on that point. He IS however, outperforming Jacques Wahlberg. Mechanical failures suck indeed, but in the vast majority of those races, JV was racing well behind young Jenson. He's been beaten like a drum all season long in practice sessions, qualifying, and in the races. Anyone can see that.

mapguy
07-16-03, 04:18 PM
Button's no superstar. Agreed on that point. He IS however, outperforming Jacques Wahlberg. Mechanical failures suck indeed, but in the vast majority of those races, JV was racing well behind young Jenson. He's been beaten like a drum all season long in practice sessions, qualifying, and in the races. Anyone can see that.

JV's biggest mistake was taking the BAR offer. Williams wanted to keep him. He's a Team Willy type of driver, mentally tough. Like Alan Jones but with a lot of his father's talent. How many drivers have attempted to pass Spoon-face on the outside of a turn?

JV's confidence is in the spitter right now. Put him in a decent car, even a Sauber, and look out.

Button basically got his @ss handed to him by Spoon-Face Jr when at Williams. Given equal treatment at BAR JV would make Button look like the over-hyped (by the British press) wanker that he is. Just ask Nigel Roebuck.

rabbit
07-16-03, 04:37 PM
What mapguy said.

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 04:51 PM
So JV's just a victim of circumstances then? And can't be held accountable for spouting off about Button from day 1 and not backing it up? :shakehead

mapguy
07-16-03, 04:53 PM
So JV's just a victim of circumstances then? And can't be held accountable for spouting off about Button from day 1 and not backing it up? :shakehead

JV said "What has he won". Well, what has Button won? F3? Nope. FFord? Nope. Podium in F1? Nope.

The only thing Button can pass is gas.

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 04:56 PM
No... JV said "If I can't beat Jenson, I don't belong in F1"

See ya! :p

mapguy
07-16-03, 04:56 PM
No... JV said "If I can't beat Jenson, I don't belong in F1"

See ya! :p

Link?

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 05:02 PM
Link? Sure, tomorrow... I'm outta here.

JT265
07-16-03, 05:23 PM
Link?

Not to take Crapper's side Map, but I read something in Autosport last winter very similar, if not bang on.

BTW- All you guys know I rate lil' Jack'SSSSSSSSSSSSS, BUT, he really does need to shut the ***k up and drive.

Oh, and seeing as how he has trusted the ski instructor with his contracts, he should damn well trust him to hold all those Swiss Francs as well, cause carrying them in his drivers suit is weighing him down WAAAAAAAAY too much.

And although he has been ahead sometimes, I haven't seen Button wax him really bad, 'course I DO need glasses. ;)

JT265
07-16-03, 05:26 PM
One other point. Pollock can come hat-in-hand and feed at CART's trough, but it ain't good enough for his star driver? Isn't that saying to CART that I will take all your $$$$ and put an un-engineered slug on the track, but otherwise I wouldn't be caught dead here?

Strange that.

RichK
07-16-03, 05:41 PM
I'm a JV fan since his Atlantic days, but this year he's making himself look dumb.

And I don't trust Pollock at all, JT. He has yet to be associated with or repsonsible for anything successful in racing, as far as I know.

mapguy
07-16-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Not to take Crapper's side Map, but I read something in Autosport last winter very similar, if not bang on.

BTW- All you guys know I rate lil' Jack'SSSSSSSSSSSSS, BUT, he really does need to shut the ***k up and drive.

Oh, and seeing as how he has trusted the ski instructor with his contracts, he should damn well trust him to hold all those Swiss Francs as well, cause carrying them in his drivers suit is weighing him down WAAAAAAAAY too much.

And although he has been ahead sometimes, I haven't seen Button wax him really bad, 'course I DO need glasses. ;)

JV should shut his yap and drive. The one thing that sticks out this year is that the car isn't good it is JV who hustles the thing. Button can drive a good car but doesn't know what to do when the car isn't so good.

Basically my point is that Button hasn't proven anything. Even though the British press would like you to think otherwise. Hell, Flavio Briatore was ready to fire him mid-season last year. JV made a bad decision to go to BAR. He hasn't helped his case shooting off his mouth.

Having said that. If BAR was in a position to make something of the season I would bet on JV having the stones to do something about it rather than Button waiting for something to happen.

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 05:54 PM
Here's your linkage http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/030212063142.shtml

And a copied a pasted article from a different website available in this crapwagon.com thread (http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3379)

Jacques fires next salvo at Button.

Good ol' Jacques Villeneuve seems to be at his old tricks again, attempting to belittle British charger Jenson Button before the duo race as team-mates in Melbourne.

Now that Eddie Irvine has left Formula One, Jacques Villeneuve is quickly filling the void for the outspoken driver in F1. But whereas Irvine toed the corporate line about his team-mate de la Rosa last year in public, despite allegedly having a nickname for him of 'the donkey,' Villeneuve has wasted no time to go on the offensive against his new partner at BAR, Jenson Button.

The French-Canadian started his onslaught against Button at the launch of the new BAR005 last month. Traditionally a time for talking up the team's chances for the coming season, Villeneuve explained how he viewed his team-mate.

"I don't set out to psyche-out a team-mate, I just go out and drive as hard as I can," he said. "The key is do you respect your team-mate or not? If you do, then everything is fine and nobody gets destroyed. If you don't, then it happens on its own."

Jacques then explained that he believed Button would have to make a step forward from his first three years in F1 if he was to be a valuable addition to the BAR team.

Villeneuve is now making boasts that if he doesn't beat Button in the 2003 season he will quit F1. "If I don't beat him, I'd better stay at home because that would mean I don't belong in F1," Villeneuve is quoted in British newspaper The Sun. The implication implicit here being that Jacques thinks Jenson shouldn't be in F1.

Villeneuve is in his last year with his current deal with BAR and is believed to have the second highest salary in the pitlane after Michael Schumacher. But whereas Schumacher wins seemingly at will, Villeneuve hasn't frightened the top points much since his departure from Williams at the end of the 1998 season.

The irony in Villeneuve's statement is that it is hard to see him driving elsewhere in F1 next year such are his salary demands and reputation. And BAR, now shorn of Villeneuve's mate Craig Pollock, aren't especially keen on keeping their tempermental former World Champion.

Undeniably a fine racer when the mood suits him Villeneuve does have a point to make after being outclassed on numerous occasions by Olivier Panis last year. Button too needs to put on a good showing in the coming season, though he does have the security of a three-year deal with the BAR concern. Villeneuve isn't bothered by the Brit though, as he points out: "I'm not starting the season thinking: 'I have to beat Jenson' I don't care about Jenson! He hasn't shown anything yet."

JT265
07-16-03, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RichK
I'm a JV fan since his Atlantic days, but this year he's making himself look dumb.

And I don't trust Pollock at all, JT. He has yet to be associated with or repsonsible for anything successful in racing, as far as I know.

I agree with you 100% about Pollock, Rich.

No. Make that 150%. fuzzy math and all. ;)

mapguy
07-16-03, 06:06 PM
Here's your linkage http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/030212063142.shtml

And a copied a pasted article from a different website available in this crapwagon.com thread (http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3379)

Jacques fires next salvo at Button.

Good ol' Jacques Villeneuve seems to be at his old tricks again, attempting to belittle British charger Jenson Button before the duo race as team-mates in Melbourne.

Now that Eddie Irvine has left Formula One, Jacques Villeneuve is quickly filling the void for the outspoken driver in F1. But whereas Irvine toed the corporate line about his team-mate de la Rosa last year in public, despite allegedly having a nickname for him of 'the donkey,' Villeneuve has wasted no time to go on the offensive against his new partner at BAR, Jenson Button.

The French-Canadian started his onslaught against Button at the launch of the new BAR005 last month. Traditionally a time for talking up the team's chances for the coming season, Villeneuve explained how he viewed his team-mate.

"I don't set out to psyche-out a team-mate, I just go out and drive as hard as I can," he said. "The key is do you respect your team-mate or not? If you do, then everything is fine and nobody gets destroyed. If you don't, then it happens on its own."

Jacques then explained that he believed Button would have to make a step forward from his first three years in F1 if he was to be a valuable addition to the BAR team.

Villeneuve is now making boasts that if he doesn't beat Button in the 2003 season he will quit F1. "If I don't beat him, I'd better stay at home because that would mean I don't belong in F1," Villeneuve is quoted in British newspaper The Sun. The implication implicit here being that Jacques thinks Jenson shouldn't be in F1.

Villeneuve is in his last year with his current deal with BAR and is believed to have the second highest salary in the pitlane after Michael Schumacher. But whereas Schumacher wins seemingly at will, Villeneuve hasn't frightened the top points much since his departure from Williams at the end of the 1998 season.

The irony in Villeneuve's statement is that it is hard to see him driving elsewhere in F1 next year such are his salary demands and reputation. And BAR, now shorn of Villeneuve's mate Craig Pollock, aren't especially keen on keeping their tempermental former World Champion.

Undeniably a fine racer when the mood suits him Villeneuve does have a point to make after being outclassed on numerous occasions by Olivier Panis last year. Button too needs to put on a good showing in the coming season, though he does have the security of a three-year deal with the BAR concern. Villeneuve isn't bothered by the Brit though, as he points out: "I'm not starting the season thinking: 'I have to beat Jenson' I don't care about Jenson! He hasn't shown anything yet."

Quoting a British "pro-Button" web site. :rolleyes:

As for being "outclassed" by Panis. Look at the results of them being team mates. Going by that logic the Columbus Blue-Jackets would have won the Stanley Cup this year.:rolleyes:

Dirty Sanchez
07-16-03, 06:21 PM

As for being "outclassed" by Panis. Look at the results of them being team mates. Going by that logic the Columbus Blue-Jackets would have won the Stanley Cup this year.:rolleyes: Sorry dude, don't know the link to any neutral Swiss F1 sites. :rolleyes: Not sure what difference it makes... the words are still attributed to Villeneuve.

Its gonna be a long season for JV fans... especially as he continues to get pantsed by Button week in and week out.

Get your Le Mans tix now :rofl:

Dr. Corkski
07-16-03, 07:08 PM
Doesn't the fact that JV would consider a series like NASCAR where he can run midfield and still collect a paycheck well unto his 40s instead of a series like CART where he would have to impress to stay in the field tell you that he is more motivated by the big $ than anything else?

That Jenson Timerlake fellow doesn't even need to beat JV to have won the battle. All he had to do to "win" the battle is to be even with or better than JV, which he has been. JV put that burden on himself by:
A) That massive salary
B) Saying he will retire if he doesn't beat JB
C) Saying he won't respect Button until he wins something, forgetting that last time he won anything was back in 1997 with the best car.

Richards doesn't like JV? I bet JV felt real sorry for Zonta. :laugh:

Foxman
07-21-03, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure that Jaques even deserves to hold Jenson's jock strap at this point. Villeneuve needs to SHUT UP and DRIVE.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 02:09 PM
Yep. JV pantsed again :rofl:

Ankf00
07-21-03, 02:14 PM

As for being "outclassed" by Panis. Look at the results of them being team mates. Going by that logic the Columbus Blue-Jackets would have won the Stanley Cup this year.:rolleyes:

a quote's a quote.

JT265
07-21-03, 06:07 PM
Yep. JV pantsed again :rofl:

In pit lane? Although I am getting thoroughly pissed at his lack of discipline, your gonna have to do better than that. He was on Timberlakes gearbox till his ill-advised trip to the beach.

Keep digging.

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:17 PM
Hmmmm... Jenson started from last and finished in the points (8th). Team mate started from 9th and finished 10th.

What else do you need to know?

Only one that needs to dig is JV... dig his way out of the gravel trap. :laugh: All jokes aside, this is about as low as it gets for JV. No reliability problems and he still can't take it to his less experienced teammate.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 06:18 PM
No need to dig, ChecQues is doing a fine job of that himself.

Let's see:
- JV starts 9th. Button starts 20th.
- Button had to wait for JV to get serviced ahead of him during the first pitstop.
- JV pulls a blatant chop on Button to keep him from passing.
- The so called pit "advantage"
JV: 1:30.338 1:48.111 32.827 I/O/P*
JB: 1:29.504 1:46.139 32.029 I/O/P*
*(Inlap/Outlap/Pit)
- So Button only gained 8-tenths on that stop, which is far less than what he lost during the first stop when he had to queue up behind JV. It wasn't swift pitwork that allowed Button to beat JV, it was Button's superior (or JV's inferior) pace during the in/out laps.
- Just how was it that a superior race like JV would manage to spin off trying to pass a "weak" driver like Jenson Timberlake?

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:18 PM
Hmmmm... Jenson started from last and finished in the points (8th). Team mate started from 9th and finished 10th.

What else do you need to know?

Only one that needs to dig is JV... dig his way out of the gravel trap. :laugh: All jokes aside, this is about as low as it gets for JV. No reliability problems and he still can't take it to his less experienced teammate.

Still waiting to hear from you on what Jenson has won.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 06:26 PM
Still waiting to hear from you on what Jenson has won. More races than JVil since 98.

JT265
07-21-03, 06:30 PM
"ChecQues"

So, in your expert opinion, the bottom line revolves around the fact that "ChecQues" spills more out of his pockets than you, I, and any ten people are likely to see in our lifetime, correct?

As far as wee Jenson waiting in pit lane, that WOULD be when they were bunched up behind the safety car, wouldn't it?

Let me do a complete about face here. Jenson is the BE ALL and END ALL of the racing world. HE IS A GOD!!!!!!

Course, with the exception of the Honda lawn mower heat, he has never won jack-crap in a formula car, but we'll just keep that dirty little secret to ourselves, 'cause surely the BAR car will win races and championships with wee Jenson piloting it, right?

Fair enough. Oh, and BTW, I drink Crown Royal.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
More races than JVil since 98.

Nice try. What has he won.

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:35 PM
Nice try. What has he won. If Button's won so little and so undeserving and pathetic how come he can pull in more points at the team he hasn't "built?"

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
If Button's won so little and so undeserving and pathetic how come he can pull in more points at the team he hasn't "built?"

What has he won? Why can't anyone answer that question?

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 06:40 PM
So basically you can't come up with a reason supported by facts as to why JVil couldn't keep pace with a guy that "hasn't won anything".

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:46 PM
So basically you can't come up with a reason supported by facts as to why JVil couldn't keep pace with a guy that "hasn't won anything".

Well, considering the fact that David (family friend of Jenson Button) has tried to get JV fired since he took over BAR I would not expect that he is getting equal treatment.

Ankf00
07-21-03, 06:48 PM
What has he won? Why can't anyone answer that question? why can't you answer why he's so undeserving of being in F1? other than your obvious fury regarding the fact that JV is being beaten by a backstreet boy in a contract year. you know, contract year, the type of season where ppl step up their game to show they haven't lost it?

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 06:49 PM
What has he won? Why can't anyone answer that question? Button was rushed into F1 after 2 years of car racing which included 3 British F3 wins in 1999. Button was thrown into the deep end way too early and didn't get a chance to pile on numbers like some Canadian driver did in CART and its feeder system thanks to Imperial Tobacco even after the said driver had a less than stellar F3 career. And Button certainly didn't have the best car in the field at his disposal to rack up numbers.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 06:50 PM
Well, considering the fact that David (family friend of Jenson Button) has tried to get JV fired since he took over BAR I would not expect that he is getting equal treatment. Oh, and The Idiot Ski Instructor, who was (and still is) JVil's manager, must have treated Ricardo Zonta equally as well?

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:52 PM
Button was rushed into F1 after 2 years of car racing which included 3 British F3 wins in 1999. Button was thrown into the deep end way too early and didn't get a chance to pile on numbers like some Canadian driver did in CART and its feeder system thanks to Imperial Tobacco even after the said driver had a less than stellar F3 career. And Button certainly didn't have the best car in the field at his disposal to rack up numbers.

JV was rushed into F1 and he produced.

Could Button overtake MS on the outside of a corner? Could he win the last Indy 500 from 2 laps down?

Button came in 3rd in his year in F3 with full Renault factory support. 3rd.

mapguy
07-21-03, 06:53 PM
Oh, and The Idiot Ski Instructor, who was (and still is) JVil's manager, must have treated Ricardo Zonta equally as well?

Why don't you ask Alan McNish about Zonta?

Dirty Sanchez
07-21-03, 06:57 PM
http://www.fourhman.com/mappy/images/mappy_ex4.jpg

Ankf00
07-21-03, 07:00 PM
JV was rushed into F1 and he produced.

Could Button overtake MS on the outside of a corner? Could he win the last Indy 500 from 2 laps down?

Button came in 3rd in his year in F3 with full Renault factory support. 3rd. rushed? years of feeder series, CART, 1 year behind damon and another to win it on his own, which came down to the last race as well, all the while in the most dominant car of the 90's.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 07:08 PM
Why don't you ask Alan McNish about Zonta? Right, so you still haven't answered by question as to how Richards being a family friend of Button's would be any more biased than when The Idiot Ski Instructor was both JVil and BAR's manager?

JT265
07-21-03, 07:09 PM
Button was rushed into F1 after 2 years of car racing which included 3 British F3 wins in 1999. Button was thrown into the deep end way too early and didn't get a chance to pile on numbers like some Canadian driver did in CART and its feeder system thanks to Imperial Tobacco even after the said driver had a less than stellar F3 career. And Button certainly didn't have the best car in the field at his disposal to rack up numbers.

Hell Cork, by your observations, Greg Moore and Carbender should have been multiple champs, what with them both having the best car and all.

Oh, and Ank, Schumacher went to Ferrari with all his close pals from Benetton and built a team.

Jacques went to Switzerland with a couple of stone masons and built a vault. See, it's all about choices. Sadly, it seems to have made Jackie a little bitter of late.

Oh, and pissing and moaning about who scored modest points against someone else that scored modest points in F1 is much akin to me pointing out that my 1986 Plymouth "K" car, while being a very "Reliant" automobile, can beat the absolute crap outta your 1985 Pontiac Sunfire.

"My POS is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than your POS!!!!!"

Jacques biggest failure in my view lately is his mouth.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 07:11 PM
Hell Cork, by your observations, Greg Moore and Carbender should have been multiple champs, what with them both having the best car and all.Since when did Moore and Carbender get to drive the almighty Williams-Renaults and not the POS Reynard-Mercedes?

JT265
07-21-03, 07:18 PM
"Button was thrown into the deep end way too early and didn't get a chance to pile on numbers like some Canadian driver did in CART and its feeder system thanks to Imperial Tobacco even after the said driver had a less than stellar F3 career."

Your quote, not mine. "~snip~like some Canadian driver did in CART and its feeder system (incorrect statement. we were SCCA at the time, but I understand the intent ;) ) thanks to Imperial Tobacco~ snip"

Quit changing series. I understood your rant to be about JV piling on numbers in CART, and Greg took the same seat, ergo the mistake.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-03, 07:28 PM
Sorry my mistake. In any case the package JVil had was far better than the one Moore and Carpentier ended up with.

JT265
07-21-03, 07:35 PM
Sorry my mistake. In any case the package JVil had was far better than the one Moore and Carpentier ended up with.

Agreed. don't tell anyone. ;)

Ankf00
07-21-03, 08:03 PM
Hell Cork, by your observations, Greg Moore and Carbender should have been multiple champs, what with them both having the best car and all.

Oh, and Ank, Schumacher went to Ferrari with all his close pals from Benetton and built a team.

Jacques went to Switzerland with a couple of stone masons and built a vault. See, it's all about choices. Sadly, it seems to have made Jackie a little bitter of late.

Oh, and pissing and moaning about who scored modest points against someone else that scored modest points in F1 is much akin to me pointing out that my 1986 Plymouth "K" car, while being a very "Reliant" automobile, can beat the absolute crap outta your 1985 Pontiac Sunfire.

"My POS is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than your POS!!!!!"

Jacques biggest failure in my view lately is his mouth.

I see, so being a professional, making the best of what's available, and saving FACE, not even speaking of saving a career or "legacy" (1 WDC), have nothing to do with it?

in F1 you're measured against your teammate, if he scored no points, and you scored some, BOOM, YOU WIN, doesn't matter you scored less than a top 3 championship finish total, you beat your teammate hands down, s'how it goes. you know that. I know that. so why duck that with a crappy analogy?

JT265
07-21-03, 08:34 PM
Ain't ducking a thing, Ank. Oh, and sorry I don't share your worldly views WRT analogies, etc.

Having said that, the folks in the paddock that hire talent recognize it without having to dig up obscure facts, and yes, beating your teammate is the only measure of success in this business. Fact is, at the tender age of 32, JackSSSSSSSSSS has sadly let his mouth overshadow his talent, and frankly, it will be a feat of Biblical proportions, or 8 X 10's of Patrick Head in a compromising position that puts the boy into a competitive ride at this stage.

But even though he is weighed down with many kilos of Swiss Francs in his drivers suit, I'm certainly not of the view that Jenson Button is anything more than a journeyman racer.

But I'm sure you will try and prove me wrong.

;)

Ankf00
07-21-03, 11:51 PM
Ain't ducking a thing, Ank. Oh, and sorry I don't share your worldly views WRT analogies, etc.

Having said that, the folks in the paddock that hire talent recognize it without having to dig up obscure facts, and yes, beating your teammate is the only measure of success in this business. Fact is, at the tender age of 32, JackSSSSSSSSSS has sadly let his mouth overshadow his talent, and frankly, it will be a feat of Biblical proportions, or 8 X 10's of Patrick Head in a compromising position that puts the boy into a competitive ride at this stage.

But even though he is weighed down with many kilos of Swiss Francs in his drivers suit, I'm certainly not of the view that Jenson Button is anything more than a journeyman racer.

But I'm sure you will try and prove me wrong.

;)

if you want to be insulting, fine, i'm sorry i'm not of such great driver judging stock as yourself. being a friend of gilles and all.

what obscure facts have I dug up? the points button and kimi have so far in F1? the teammate pairings they've had so far? that's hardly obscure, open google or go to f1-live, i posted such facts because my say so that "hey, he got beat" would hardly be credible to you or others and the cries for "links" "source" would emerge immediately. just because you dont like facts hardly makes them obscure and irrelevant. and if that's somethig you'll deem obscure then it's you who has serious reality issues.

i've not said button is the next coming of senna, my defense for him belonging in F1 just as much as any other midfielder is not my support of his WDC hopes. frankly, if he is another journeyman racer, then GREAT, why? BECAUSE IT'S A HELL OF ALOT MORE THAN OTHER PPL CAN ACCOMPLISH. and he certainly isn't embaressing himself by any means. he doesn't run his mouth all day like eddie ralf or checques, and he is racing competently. if his competance offends you, it's your problem not his not mine. he's in, he's proved he's capable, no one thinks he's championship material, but he's good enough to be there, AND about to BEAT A FORMER WORLD DRIVERS CHAMPION. regardless of however "modest" the points total may be. it's how you're measured in F1. deal.

the only thing slowing down checques is his ego, not his francs.

quotes are quotes, what he said is what he said, he can't take it back now, and he's certainly not putting up so it's good that he's shut up.

"Oh, and pissing and moaning about who scored modest points against someone else that scored modest points in F1 is much akin to me pointing out that my 1986 Plymouth "K" car, while being a very "Reliant" automobile, can beat the absolute crap outta your 1985 Pontiac Sunfire." <---that sir, is avoidance, an attempt to minimize the key issue, the only one that matters when comparing button to JV, regardless of button ending up with midpackers his entire life.

JT265
07-22-03, 09:13 AM
How am I insulting you, by calling your opinion crappy or something? After all, this is an internet forum, and my intent isn't to insult you or anyone.

And as far as opinions, maybe I haven't been clear, so I will attempt another stab. Five years ago, I rated Jacques right up there with Schuey in terms of talent. And as you brought it up, I have never seen him possessed of the natural talent that his dad had, but again, he was close, in my view. The difference between him and his dad is that Gilles would pick that slug up and carry it to the podium or stuff it in the fence large, but he would never have been content to cycle around 2 laps down.

Call it ego, big paydays, lack of focus, whatever, but it certainly seems that he has lost any kind of focus he may ever have had. Unlike most on the grid, Jacques never aspired as a kid to be a race driver, and had he never had the (mis)fortune of hooking up with Pollock, chances are good that he would be an artist or an IT manager slumming somewhere in Europe.

Am I making excuses for him? Hell no. Being of the old guard, his performance and his mouth piss me off greatly. But I agree with Mapguy 100%. There are a lot of people on any grid that would like to have the resume the kid has, regardless of how badly he may have tarnished it.

Ankf00
07-22-03, 10:27 AM
agreed... I'm sure ppl would rather have his resume than Button's, he's won championships (unlike Lemarie), just got into all this by defending the fact Button belongs on that grid as much as any other midpacker.

JT265
07-22-03, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ankf00
agreed... I'm sure ppl would rather have his resume than Button's, he's won championships (unlike Lemarie), just got into all this by defending the fact Button belongs on that grid as much as any other midpacker.

See, I knew better than to try and help Mapguy out. ;)

If you look at my posts, beyond my '60's inspired sense of humor, I have never stated that Button didn't belong on the grid. In fact, I rate him higher than a lot of people that have and continue to lay waste to good carbon fibre on a weekly basis.