PDA

View Full Version : Lionheart

TravelGal
03-13-24, 12:44 PM
Who watched it? It premiered last night. Who has even heard of it?

It was hard for me watch. I remember all of it and knew much of the backstory too. Plus losing a beloved husband in the flash of an eye, brought home that part of it. Very emotional seeing the drivers talk about Wheldon. It didn't pull too many punches although I noticed they studiously managed to avoid saying CART or ChampCar. It's on HBO Max for the next week or so. Maybe elsewhere.

swift
03-14-24, 01:44 AM
I caught the trailer a few weeks back.

M7NBpYwQXMw

Elmo T
03-14-24, 06:22 AM
I saw the trailer - need to track it down the movie - didn't realize it might be on for only a bit.

The split was so divisive. My memories of Wheldon were more about him being a Crapwagon punching bag all those years. Only after he was gone did I realize how well he was liked and respected in the racing community.

SteveH
03-14-24, 07:52 AM
Always was a fan of him. When he was in the CART ladder system, PacWest Lights team I believe, he appeared at a 7G get together the night before the CART race at Road America. It was the weekend when it rained constantly. Because of the weather there were very few people there at the meet up. I had my youngest son with me and the three of us stood under an EZ up and Dan talked to my son about his training regimen. The following year I bumped into his at a race and he asked about my son. I really don't want to watch the documentary, I know enough.

RTKar
03-17-24, 10:11 AM
Always was a fan of him. When he was in the CART ladder system, PacWest Lights team I believe, he appeared at a 7G get together the night before the CART race at Road America. It was the weekend when it rained constantly. Because of the weather there were very few people there at the meet up. I had my youngest son with me and the three of us stood under an EZ up and Dan talked to my son about his training regimen. The following year I bumped into his at a race and he asked about my son. I really don't want to watch the documentary, I know enough.

:(

I think of that evening every time his name comes up.

TRDfan
03-20-24, 08:56 PM
:(

I think of that evening every time his name comes up.

You aren't the only one.

Not sure if I want to watch this.

TravelGal
03-21-24, 12:34 PM
Although as I said in the opening post, I found it hard to watch, everyone should know that it's not a movie about the crash. It's a movie about Dan's childhood, his career, the moves he made during it, his teammates, the reactions of his teammates to those moves, his successes, but mostly about his boys. Lots of karting footage of his boys. Poignant moments at home are not played to be heartrending. As in "Senna," we all the pivotal moment but they don't let it end there. There are races to be won. To this day, I'm glad I refused all entreaties to go to that race. Yet I felt I should watch this to prove that people are interested in the sport and in him. In reading your comments, I realize I had it easier than many of you who knew him.