PDA

View Full Version : Question for fellow basement dwellers

nrc
12-11-23, 10:16 PM
Question for you fellow basement dwellers. We're looking to freshen up our finished basement and I'm thinking to replace the drop ceiling tiles since some of them are bashed up and the rest are looking kind of dreary. Right now they're fiberglass which I really hate because they're so floppy and easily damaged. Any reason I shouldn't switch them out for mineral fiber tiles?

RTKar
12-12-23, 09:41 PM
Question for you fellow basement dwellers. We're looking to freshen up our finished basement and I'm thinking to replace the drop ceiling tiles since some of them are bashed up and the rest are looking kind of dreary. Right now they're fiberglass which I really hate because they're so floppy and easily damaged. Any reason I shouldn't switch them out for mineral fiber tiles?

I did fake tin to give mine a retro bar loo.

nrc
12-13-23, 02:58 AM
I did fake tin to give mine a retro bar loo.

Did you just do the loo or the whole basement? :D

I kid. I got it. Are those PVC drop-in panels? I wasn't considering PVC because I want some sound insulation.

pfc_m_drake
12-13-23, 12:15 PM
Question for you fellow basement dwellers. We're looking to freshen up our finished basement and I'm thinking to replace the drop ceiling tiles since some of them are bashed up and the rest are looking kind of dreary. Right now they're fiberglass which I really hate because they're so floppy and easily damaged. Any reason I shouldn't switch them out for mineral fiber tiles?We don't have basements in South Florida BUT my childhood home in WNY had the fiberglass tiles in the basement which (as you point out) became damaged an annoying amount of the time - so I'd vote replacing them if it's a better option. Only downside might be if you had an 'intruder' get in between levels and find them delectable for some reason...

RTKar
12-15-23, 12:34 PM
Did you just do the loo or the whole basement? :D

I kid. I got it. Are those PVC drop-in panels? I wasn't considering PVC because I want some sound insulation.

Yup, PVC drop in 2'x2' panels from Home Depot. They aren't much for sound insulation, they're pliable and relatively thin. I didn't want the typical white dropdown ceiling look.