PDA

View Full Version : F1 on Apple TV?

SteveH
09-29-23, 04:14 PM
F1 on Apple TV a smart move? 'Formula 1 has to ask itself that...' (https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/240610/f1-on-apple-tv-a-smart-move-formula-1-has-to-ask-itself-that.html)

Watching Formula 1 Grands Prix live in the future may soon require a subscription to Apple TV, it was revealed on Thursday following reports in Business F1 Magazine. No less than two billion dollars would be paid by the US company for the exclusive, global rights for the most important series in motorsport. An understandable ambition from Apple, according to Chris Woerts, one of the Netherlands' leading sports marketers.

hmmm.... have Apple TV so I shouldn't be affected.

Hopefully no more screaming announcers on the first lap.

nissan gtp
09-30-23, 09:27 AM
I use the F1 TV Pro app on my Apple TV box, not changing that it’s great.

Biggest problem is that it makes all the other racing coverage look like junk.

opinionated ow
09-30-23, 11:03 PM
That is one guaranteed way to lose audience. It might work in the USA, but it won't work in Europe, Asia, Oceania, South America, Africa

SteveH
10-01-23, 12:12 AM
That is one guaranteed way to lose audience. It might work in the USA, but it won't work in Europe, Asia, Oceania, South America, Africa

The devil’s in the details but 100% exclusivity won’t occur for 5 years. At this point without specifics we’re allowed to think it will be great (seldom is)

According to the magazine, Apple would consider a bid that the Formula 1 Group "cannot refuse." It would amount to US$2 billion a year, roughly double what currently comes in for global TV rights for the sport. The level of exclusivity on offer would increase over the years. Initially, F1 could offer 25 per cent exclusivity, but this could rise to 100 per cent after five years when the existing contracts expire. The deal offered by Apple would involve a fixed amount of money for the duration of seven years.

nissan gtp
10-01-23, 07:45 AM
The devil’s in the details but 100% exclusivity won’t occur for 5 years. At this point without specifics we’re allowed to think it will be great (seldom is)

Apple profit in 2022 was $99B, so they can easily afford it.

Pilgrims Drop
10-01-23, 12:29 PM
NOOOOO! I want my F1 Multiviewer with 7 screens!!!

TravelGal
10-07-23, 01:05 PM

It works in this house. After the travesty in Abu Dhabi last year, my interest has waned with each week. It will fade to black about the same time the screen goes dark here--or sooner. Edit: er, the year before last. Shows how much my attention has eroded from the year I went to Monaco. :(

RTKar
10-08-23, 02:33 PM
I suspect the interest in F1 will wane just as Nascar's did in the mid 2000's. Honestly the product is not that compelling.

TravelGal
10-10-23, 01:13 PM
I suspect the interest in F1 will wane just as Nascar's did in the mid 2000's. Honestly the product is not that compelling.

:thumbup: The spectacle, not the sport these days.