PDA

View Full Version : Liberty wants to buy IndyCar?

SteveH
04-24-23, 12:17 PM
F1 rumours: Liberty want to buy IndyCar and turn it into American F1 feeder series (https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-rumours-liberty-buy-indycar-american-feeder-series/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwh1iUIGLk0

See 1:06

pfc_m_drake
04-24-23, 01:03 PM
Can't watch at the moment, but I'll check it out later.
On the surface, I could envision worse things...

SteveH
04-24-23, 01:59 PM
Can't watch at the moment, but I'll check it out later.
On the surface, I could envision worse things...

Such as the status quo

SteveH
04-24-23, 02:42 PM
IndyCar refutes Liberty Media sale rumor (https://racer.com/2023/04/24/indycar-refutes-liberty-media-sale-rumor/)

RACER also reached out to sources within Liberty Media and Formula 1, who stated the rumor was “completely wrong.”

TravelGal
04-24-23, 02:47 PM
I was expecting them to buy the other half of Long Beach Grand Prix but not the whole kit and caboodle. That took me by surprise. I wonder if Penske is getting bored--or frustrated.

opinionated ow
04-25-23, 08:42 AM
I was expecting them to buy the other half of Long Beach Grand Prix but not the whole kit and caboodle. That took me by surprise. I wonder if Penske is getting bored--or frustrated.

it's just a nonsense idea from the thoroughly discredited Peter Windsor.

TravelGal
04-25-23, 10:21 AM
it's just a nonsense idea from the thoroughly discredited Peter Windsor.

All trial balloons are nonsense. One just wonders what may come of them.

SteveH
04-25-23, 12:46 PM
Of course, IndyCar/IMS was not for sale until it was announced that Penske bought it.

Just sayin....

devilmaster
04-25-23, 02:23 PM
Liberty media buys Indycar, and nascar buys IMS with the proceeds of fontana.

Roger has his out (and probably a tidy profit) Liberty media gets indycar that helps sell F1 to the US in their mind. And NASCAR gets the track they probably always wanted.

A deal is struck (or encased in the sale) that liberty and indycar always has the right to Memorial day.

This also puts pressure on Monte Carlo to up their fee because imagine offering seats to Indy to current f1 drivers that want it.

I mean, this is all out of left field. But I've heard wierder s**t following this sport.....

TravelGal
04-25-23, 05:33 PM
This also puts pressure on Monte Carlo to up their fee because imagine offering seats to Indy to current f1 drivers that want it.

I mean, this is all out of left field. But I've heard wierder s**t following this sport.....

Just what I was thinking. :laugh:

pfc_m_drake
04-25-23, 07:24 PM
Liberty media buys Indycar, and nascar buys IMS with the proceeds of fontana.

Roger has his out (and probably a tidy profit) Liberty media gets indycar that helps sell F1 to the US in their mind. And NASCAR gets the track they probably always wanted.

A deal is struck (or encased in the sale) that liberty and indycar always has the right to Memorial day.

I think why I'm disappointed by (as we may have discussed in chat) is that Roger Penske is a kidney patient and a recipient of a transplant

https://apnews.com/article/sports-auto-racing-indycar-roger-penske-kidney-transplants-67c68c6df7b74ed1839476ddb5354dca

That was 2017. It's now 2023. The average longevity of a kidney transplant is 10 years - and that's in MUCH younger patients. Meaning that, on average, Roger has 4 years left. *I* (as in me personally) was hoping that Roger would realize when he bought IMS that you can't take it with you...so I might as well swing for the fences and spend what it takes to try and get IndyCar back to what it was.

Obviously that's not the case - and Roger is more focused on replenishing the cash flow that was lost in 2020 and reducing costs as much as possible to maximize profitability

So be it...it's his series. But if you want me (personally) to respect that approach...try again.

SteveH
04-26-23, 08:59 PM
Consider this. Roger made his reputation at Indy starting in 1972 with Mark Dononhue. The list of winning drivers at Indy is a literal Who’s Who in open wheel racing. No owner has won as much as he has. None are even close.

Why would he want to change any of that?

devilmaster
04-26-23, 09:56 PM
Roger, above all else, is a businessman.

He sold his tracks before to NASCAR, where (i'm sure) it turned him a tidy profit.

I have no doubt that when he shuffles off the mortal coil, his accounts are in order, his family taken care of, the T's crossed, the I's dotted.

If he decides its better to not be holding onto these things when he goes, I'm quite sure they'll be sold off before he goes.