PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach GP

TravelGal
04-12-23, 11:19 AM
Anyone going to any part of the weekend? Having just spent 36 hours from breakfast to bed with 22 flying hours in the middle to get from Zanzibar to LAX, I'm feeling pretty jet lagged. Plans are for Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for sure. Still hoping to make the Walk of Fame Thursday. Anyone else?

Anteater
04-12-23, 09:32 PM
I plan to be there with family members for at least part of Friday! :cool: Still on the fence about the Walk of Fame ceremony, though, as it means a long drive by myself.

SteveH
04-13-23, 07:49 AM
Last one
https://twitter.com/Hickey93/status/1646164087510913026?s=20

pfc_m_drake
04-14-23, 12:00 AM
Anyone going to any part of the weekend? Having just spent 36 hours from breakfast to bed with 22 flying hours in the middle to get from Zanzibar to LAX, I'm feeling pretty jet lagged. Plans are for Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for sure. Still hoping to make the Walk of Fame Thursday. Anyone else?

I was going to (as we discussed) but I ended up having to travel to San Antonio for work this week. That wouldn't be so bad, but on the return trip today my flight was late getting into Atlanta, so I missed my connection (by 5 minutes...and they proceeded to sit at the gate for another 30 minutes with the doors closed because of weather :(:shakehead::flaming:)

Even that's not the end of the world - except that FLL was closed due to monsoon flooding today, so any flights into Florida airports on Delta were already booked. Earliest I could get was tomorrow (Friday) at 9:30pm :saywhat::thumbdown:

Since it was a work trip I booked some American flights - toured around the country for most of the day - and finally got into Orlando this evening. Luckily my significant other was kind enough to pick me up for the 2-hour drive home...

Needless to say I probably won't be flying again this weekend :( Maybe next year...

Anteater
04-14-23, 01:42 PM
Oh, too bad, pfc_m_drake! :( Ryan Hunter-Reay got trapped in FLL on Wednesday, and missed his Walk of Fame ceremony.

I was going to (as we discussed) but I ended up having to travel to San Antonio for work this week. That wouldn't be so bad, but on the return trip today my flight was late getting into Atlanta, so I missed my connection (by 5 minutes...and they proceeded to sit at the gate for another 30 minutes with the doors closed because of weather :(:shakehead::flaming:)

Even that's not the end of the world - except that FLL was closed due to monsoon flooding today, so any flights into Florida airports on Delta were already booked. Earliest I could get was tomorrow (Friday) at 9:30pm :saywhat::thumbdown:

Since it was a work trip I booked some American flights - toured around the country for most of the day - and finally got into Orlando this evening. Luckily my significant other was kind enough to pick me up for the 2-hour drive home...

Needless to say I probably won't be flying again this weekend :( Maybe next year...

pfc_m_drake
04-14-23, 05:14 PM
Oh, too bad, pfc_m_drake! :( Ryan Hunter-Reay got trapped in FLL on Wednesday, and missed his Walk of Fame ceremony.
I was really looking forward to it.
TravelGal and I have been looking to meet up for years - and I haven't been back to Long Beach since the CART days.
Maybe next year.

stroker
04-15-23, 07:10 AM
Last one
https://twitter.com/Hickey93/status/1646164087510913026?s=20

So what happened to all those DP01's, I wonder...?

SteveH
04-15-23, 07:37 AM

What could have been

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/an-open-wheel-what-if-the-sound-of-the-panoz-dp01-at-ims-video/

TravelGal
04-15-23, 12:41 PM
I was really looking forward to it.
TravelGal and I have been looking to meet up for years - and I haven't been back to Long Beach since the CART days.
Maybe next year.

Ah well. I wasn't feeling all that shiny when I got back from Zanzibar so I didn't dare drive down there on Thursday or Friday. Real bummer to miss Anteater (and an Apex sighting?). At least I didn't miss pfc, though his reasons are more drastic than mine. Manic had me set up with Saturday tickets but I had to cancel that too. Like pfc said, maybe next year.

I remember that 2008 race like it was yesterday. Meeting "you guys." Nelson Philippe's impassioned speech at the dinner. Helio saying over the live com that they asked him to let Danica pass (in Japan). The beauty and the sadness in saying goodbye to all my friends. :cry::cry::cry:

SteveH
04-15-23, 04:24 PM
I remember that 2008 race like it was yesterday. Meeting "you guys." Nelson Philippe's impassioned speech at the dinner. Helio saying over the live com that they asked him to let Danica pass (in Japan). The beauty and the sadness in saying goodbye to all my friends. :cry::cry::cry:

I just moved a few months ago and while packing I found several Inner Circle hats that were given away at that dinner. The dinner was nice but very melancholy.