PDA

View Full Version : Spring training

nrc
02-10-23, 07:02 PM
This is a thread where I get all excited and enthusiastic about Indy Car Spring Training. Not. But are you?

I saw a blurb about it on YouTube so I assume it was this week or something?

I just thought it was interesting because it was a great idea from Champ Car and it really was something we anticipated and followed back in the day.

TravelGal
02-10-23, 08:31 PM
I'm starting to see tweets come through on my email. Not reading them.

Remember Fan Fests? I went to the one in Long Beach every year. Some others with Manic, Spicoli, erock, sigh.........

opinionated ow
02-10-23, 11:35 PM
Last week, behind closed doors on some rich blokes plaything of a circuit. I guess if said rich bloke has rich friends who he can interest in sponsoring the series or teams it is a win?

nrc
02-12-23, 02:20 PM
Ha. That's comical. Spring Training in a gated community. :rofl:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucemartin/2023/02/06/indycars-spring-training-at-the-thermal-club-creates-some-unique-possibilities/

pfc_m_drake
02-12-23, 11:09 PM
Not spring training, but off season testing in preparationfor the 1998 season
https://speedcenter.com/archive/news97/sc_n1222_97.html

Those days were special...I used to LOVE reports like that one. New cars, comparison testing in old cars...just because you were good the year before didn't mean that you would be next year.

Today? You have 26 identical DW12s with UAKs bopping around on identical tires with 2 engine manufacturers with an artifically low rev-limited platform (for longevity in cost reduction) that are probably within 5 horsepower of each other. So everyone runs the same lap time.

Yeehaw... you're surprised I'm not excited? Well, I know YOU are not. But there'sgodo news... we're going to keep this platform for another 5 years! The racingis just THAT good. And the fans LOVE it.

Or something.

pfc_m_drake
02-12-23, 11:18 PM
Oh...and did I mention 33 cars going for 33 spots at the Indy500. Surely that's gotta get you fired up!!!

Hard Driver
02-21-23, 03:27 PM
Don't come here often anymore.

I see a series of some of the best drivers in the world on a series of road, street and ovals. I see a series where I can't list who will be on the podium before the race starts because what matters is whose engineered the best setup, strategy and who is driving best that day. I see close races where drivers compete.

I like F1 too. It is all about the cars and who can build the best one. But it is a manufacturers series, not a driver's series. IndyCar to me is back to being a really good drivers series.

Here is a paddock tour from spring training to get ready for the season to those of us that do enjoy Indycar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wl4Bp36pw0

TravelGal
02-22-23, 09:13 PM
Visit Argentina. I can get behind that! I've never been. Like Hard Driver, I also enjoy Indycar more than F1 but I'm just a fan. I don't long for the engine variations. I just like the racing. I grew tired of complaining about what might have and should have been. It ain't. And like HD says, IndyCar is a darn sight more interesting to watch unless you want to know ahead of time who's going to win.

SteveH
02-25-23, 10:35 AM
Could also post this in F1 but it speaks towards the ‘hidden’ spring training for IndyCar

https://twitter.com/champwebdotnet/status/1629268924519927809?s=61&t=D9K6TxjQ_uweWrxXSfz63Q

devilmaster
03-01-23, 01:55 PM
I'm not in a hate mode anymore. I'm really in a dont care mode.

they lost me. just as the NHL lost me because of its lockouts. It would take alot to get interested again. Cause even penske buying it hasn't brought me around.

I'll watch the 500, mostly because I follow Tony Kanaan for his simracing/twitch exploits and this is Tony's last dance in Indycars. I honestly could only give you 1 or 2 maybe full season drivers if I really, really think about it.

No hate to those who enjoy it. I'm in full belief that nobody won the split. And all these business people with their business acumen and talents showed me that none of them cared enough about the business they were in to ensure they kept the business going and kept their money. Cause they all lost, and yes penske too.

But they lost my interest.