PDA

View Full Version : Shabral

TravelGal
12-30-22, 09:54 PM
Some of you probably know that Marshall Pruett's wife has been battling breast cancer for several years. There is a Go Fund Me. Reading Marshall's latest update, I glanced to the side to see who had donated. There was Sebastien Bourdais for a significant amount. I must say, I've grudgingly become a fan of his over the years. Good on ya, Seb.

JohnHKart
01-16-23, 12:18 AM
I was about to donate when Marshall said on his podcast this week he just spent $3,000 on cleaning Rosie's and Rocky's teeth. What??! I have had cats for decades and never have heard of doing this . Not giving a dime . I thought he was in bad financial straits ?!! Not good . Still a fan , but this is dumb.

TravelGal
01-16-23, 01:54 PM
I was about to donate when Marshall said on his podcast this week he just spent $3,000 on cleaning Rosie's and Rocky's teeth. What??! I have had cats for decades and never have heard of doing this . Not giving a dime . I thought he was in bad financial straits ?!! Not good . Still a fan , but this is dumb.

Holy moly. Animals' teeth should be cleaned from time to time depending on diet but that seems way overboard. Should be 10 to 15% of that. I can hardly believe it!

pfc_m_drake
01-16-23, 07:49 PM
Yeah...so....

I donated to Shabral (directly).
I donated to Robin Miller (bought stickers).
I donated to Bob Varsha.

I guess I'm sad that people who don't actually need the help are praying on the generosity of others. Seemingly the old adage is true: No good deed goes unpunished.

I guess my GF (Angelina) is right when she says, "Why are you giving money to those people? They're rich and famous...you have kidney disease...nobody is giving money to you for your medical bills."

i guess Angelina was right (BTW - this is an ongoing theme in our relationship) in that I was giving money to people who needed it far far FAR less than I did. I accept that I'm a gullible naïve loser. Hopefully Marshall and Bob benefit from my generosity.

TravelGal
01-18-23, 01:00 PM
Yeah, well I did too. We are perhaps gullible and naive, but certainly not losers. Why would you even use that word? Harrumph. We're the best of humanity because we have humanity. At least Bob Varsha seemed to be genuinely chagrined that he was not as sick as he was told.

indyfan31
01-18-23, 08:45 PM

That's absurd. While the animal does have to be put under during the procedure, it only costs about $250 to clean a dog's teeth, a cat is less.
For about $1000/yr he can get medical insurance that will cover that and a lot of other things.

TravelGal
01-18-23, 11:11 PM
That's absurd. While the animal does have to be put under during the procedure, it only costs about $250 to clean a dog's teeth, a cat is less.
For about $1000/yr he can get medical insurance that will cover that and a lot of other things.

Agreed. It just doesn't make sense. :thumbdown:

RTKar
01-19-23, 12:06 PM

Oops!

I did the Miller sticker thing as well. I always enjoyed his take on the sport and was fortunate enough to chat with him a time or two at the track. I'd think these people in the racing media would have an almost built in support network in the racing community, especially from folks with means, receiving financial support we'll never hear about.

Here might be a better alternative.

https://www.stjude.org/

nrc
01-19-23, 01:47 PM
I don't know about cats, but our senior dogs have had dental cleaning bills north of $1000 when they have needed multiple extractions. Our vet is pretty reasonable so I can see bills for senior animals getting above $1500 for a less economical vet.

Cats? I don't know from cats.

I can't speak what this says about the worthiness of any given GoFundMe drive. I've given to those things here and there. Beyond pocket money I'm going to need a financial disclosure.