PDA

View Full Version : Racermike gets a unique opportunity

devilmaster
10-25-22, 04:52 PM
Although he hasn't posted in a bit, he got a nice surprise flagging this past weekend at COTA... (from his facebook post)

Now that I am home from Austin, I can update everyone on the Experience I had with HAAS Team Principal Guenther Steiner.

So Guenther has always held a high respect for Marshals from around the World. On this weekend in Austin, he wanted to make a nice gesture to all of us, in the form of getting to meet one of us to discover more about the person he meets, and about all the fellow marshals that make up our community.

It starts out as Friday about 11:30am (90 Minutes before FP1), I am at Post 5A just monitoring the radio, I had given permission to my crew to go look around for a bit as we had 45-60 minutes before the track inspection. All of a sudden, I see both Bill Armitage (Race Ops) and Bryan Gregory (Flag Chief) roll up to 5A on their shiny red Golf Cart (Anxiety Level 3). Of course, my first thought is, why are they BOTH on a golf cart, and why are they BOTH visiting my station. Something is up (Anxiety Level 6). They both walk over to me and I forget who it said it, but got "Hey Mike, go ahead and set down your radio and come with us for a minute by the golf cart" (Anxiety Level 8 ). I quickly start to review my past 4 hours, but, I can see a slight smirk on their faces along with some **** chat. (Anxiety Level 5).

We get to the Golf cart, and was told "we have a special assignment for you", cue my anxiety level drop back down to zero at this point.

Was told about the fact that Guenther Steiner (HAAS Team Principle), wanted to meet with a single Marshal on Friday, and Race Ops had to choose very quickly who they thought would be good to pick on short notice. I am flattered, and thankful, that Bill and Bryan thought of and picked me for this amazing opportunity.

I started out in 1991 in Oregon Region SCCA, and over time have worked almost 100 Pro events over the years, including this being my 14th Grand Prix weekend. I know how much we ALL sacrifice, to go out and support racing like we do, and had just 20 minutes to prepare for my meet-up with Steiner.

We got down to the end of Pit Lane, and a HAAS F1 team rep met us at the ropes, and let us through, while waiting got a few photos of the 47 car. Guenther walked out and we were introduced. I could tell right off the bat with his firm handshake that he was happy to meet me.

He asked all about myself first, where I was from, how I got started in racing, and what Post I was assigned to for the weekend. He then went into talking about how much he appreciates every single one of us, and wanted to find out from one of us just what it takes to do this. He is well aware of the commitment, time away from loved ones, time away from work, and having long days with minimal amount of sleep sometimes. He admitted they he might not even have the fortitude, discipline, and patience to do what we do (sometimes week in and week out).

Our conversation lasted about 10 minutes, and besides our photographers there, there were a few TV cameras that I could see trying to eavesdrop on our group there with him. We ended the conversation with him presenting to me one of the HAAS F1 Bandana's and got some Photos of the two of us. He requested that I speak to our entire team to pass on his message of how much he appreciates us being there to help better the sport. I could tell in his voice, and mannerism's, how genuine his comments are. He really does mean what he says.

For every one of us, whether its Turn marshals, Race Ops, and all the support that takes care of us during the weekend, this message was for EVERYONE!

And now for the Punchline .. when FP1 started, we were maybe 30 seconds in, when Giovinazzi in the HAAS F1 47 car spun coming out of 5, with contact with the wall drivers left at 5A. I wonder if Guenther thought of me again at that moment (as he asked me earlier my post location).

Bill Armitage said the reaction in Race Control was priceless.

WickerBill
10-25-22, 05:16 PM
That's incredible!

devilmaster
10-25-22, 05:20 PM

racermike
10-25-22, 05:23 PM
Thanks for posting ... have not been on the forums in a little bit (In my Robert DeNiro voice)

Was a pretty awesome weekend.

Will share more later once home from work.

nrc
10-25-22, 06:07 PM
Congrats on a great weekend. Good to see you again. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
10-26-22, 02:12 PM
Wow what an amazing story. On behalf of race fans everywhere, thanks Mike! :thumbup:

meadors
10-30-22, 05:12 PM
What an awesome gesture of Guenther Steiner, and so nice to know that the officials showed their respect for you by selecting you for this "assignment".

Thank you for all you do Mike!