PDA

View Full Version : Online pharma

nrc
09-08-22, 03:02 PM
We're finding that our drug coverage is not what it once was. Does anyone have experience with any of the online discount drug dealers? Cash pricing at Mark Cuban's costplusdrugs.com seems better than what we get *after insurance*. goodrx.com seems close and is through local pharmacies.

Any experiences?

TravelGal
09-08-22, 03:42 PM
I was mightily surprised that Amazon Pharmacy card works not only for deliveries almost anywhere but can be used at my local CVS or Walgreens. It saved 50% on a prescription I use regularly. I know it's not popular to love Amazon but it sure worked in my case.

WickerBill
09-09-22, 04:58 PM
Very good experience with GoodRX. I have the app but don't have an account, and get a medicine for which I used to pay $227/mo for $12.

Just had a major foot surgery last Friday, and am on all sorts of things for the aftermath, and GoodRX knocked most of them in half or more.

nrc
09-10-22, 07:06 PM
Thanks TG. I love Amazon. But I also hate Amazon. It's a complicated relationship so I don't want them talking to my vacuum or my doctor. :laugh:

WB, How does it work without an account. It says, $100, $10 with coupon but I assumed that you needed some kind of membership to get their coupons. Assuming too much?

TRDfan
09-11-22, 12:49 PM
GoodRx has been a great alternative for us. Insurance does great for most scripts, but there are a two where the GoodRx app saves us a bunch.

WickerBill
09-12-22, 09:14 AM
WB, How does it work without an account. It says, $100, $10 with coupon but I assumed that you needed some kind of membership to get their coupons. Assuming too much?

I have no idea. :)

You pick your prescription, you pick your pharmacy, it shows you a coupon code, and they type it in. I've never logged in, but the codes keep showing up!

G.
09-13-22, 05:41 PM
IIRC, the GoodRX website might have a price comparison tool. I'm not sure if you need a login to use it. It gives the uninsured price comparison, I think. It's been a while.

Different pharmacies have VERY different costs! With insurance or w/o insurance.
We are finding Walgreens to be ridiculously expensive for some drugs compared to ANYWHERE else. There's no rhyme or reason for it that I can tell. Generic's included.

COSTCO usually has decent prices, and you do not need to be a member for use of the Pharmacy. Their website is awful, be warned. It's made for mail-order, which is fine if that's what you want.

TravelGal
09-14-22, 11:09 AM
I
Different pharmacies have VERY different costs! With insurance or w/o insurance.
We are finding Walgreens to be ridiculously expensive for some drugs compared to ANYWHERE else. There's no rhyme or reason for it that I can tell. Generic's included.

COSTCO usually has decent prices, and you do not need to be a member for use of the Pharmacy.

Second the above. The plan I had last year allowed me to use Walgreens or CVS. Walgreens was nearly $80 more than CVS for the same thing. After tumbling to Amazon, I've found it much better than COSTCO, which was previously the best.

TravelGal
09-18-22, 02:40 PM
In case anyone is still checking this, I just did a search for something on Amazon pharmacy and then GoodRX. GoodRX was 25% cheaper for that particular prescription.

nrc
02-06-23, 11:28 PM
Then there was this.

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1622655877336428547

In a first-of-its-kind ruling, California-based online pharmacy GoodRx agreed to pay $1.5 million in civil penalties, following FTC investigation that found the company shared users’ health data with Big Tech firms, including Facebook and Google. :mad:

Fortunately, when we moved our our prescriptions from CVS to our local Miejer store, intending to get the GoodRx price there. But when we went they told us their retail price without insurance is actually lower than the GoodRx price. :saywhat:

So we won't be using GoodRx anymore, but fortunately online price comparisons are becoming much more practical, at least for generics, with all these new channels opening up.

At this point if you're using CVS run, don't walk, to pretty much any other pharmacy. CVS is owned by Aetna and they're up to all sorts of shenanigans trying to push people to or keep them at CVS even if it means they're paying more for their prescriptions.

TravelGal
02-07-23, 01:21 PM
I believe the last part but CVS is the most convenient for me and they let me use the Amazon prescription card so I'm fine with staying there.