PDA

View Full Version : Another good boy gone

nrc
08-30-22, 11:30 PM
Last night we had to let our 14 year old Manchester, Hyde go. He was a good boy.

We adopted Hyde at the age of two so. Our Manchesters have been long lived so even 12 happy years with him seems too short. Hyde was a dog's dog and a people dog all at once. He loved people and dogs unless they came around without permission. He was a destroyer of vermin of all kinds. Mice, raccoons, gophers and opossums all felt his wrath. He would have been a champion in the rat pits of his ancestors.

Here is Hyde with his grand puppies that we adopted, Cooper and Arya back in 2012.

Hyde was diagnosed with a heart murmur a while back but it never seemed to slow him down. But lately he had declined pretty rapidly. He had trouble eating, was losing weight, and his mobility was declining. Last week our vet ran a blood test and his numbers were all over map. An ultrasound Monday revealed fluid around the heart, an enlarged spleen, and probably a lyphoma. With all these issues we ruled out aggressive treatment that would probably just ruin the quality of his remaining time, but we hoped that steroids might improve things for him until the time came.

Sadly the time came later that night when he collapsed and was unresponsive with no breathing or pulse for a minute or so before he gasped for air a few times and regained consciousness. We took him to the vet ER and they said that it was likely a cardiac event. The only real treatment option in his condition was to leave him overnight so they could stabilize him and then palliative care. We considered the options and it was clear that the hope for return to a good quality of life was no longer there. And the possibility that he might die alone if we left him for treatment was not acceptable.

They have a nice comfortable room with a couch where he naturally drifted off to sleep in our lap before the vet came in and provided his final release from earthly pain.

We miss him so much already, but that's the price we pay for all the love and joy they bring to our lives. Arya, Cooper, and cousin Dori patrol the yard now in his stead. He taught them well and he lives on in them and and in our hearts.

Hug your pets.

devilmaster
08-31-22, 12:50 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

so sorry bosses...

WickerBill
08-31-22, 08:22 AM
:(:(

SteveH
08-31-22, 09:09 AM
I’m so sorry. :(

TravelGal
08-31-22, 12:17 PM
I'm not crying, you're crying. Actually, we're both crying. :cry::cry: What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend; so much more than a pet. I thank you for giving him the last gift of life, which was not to die alone. You were the best owners a dog could have.

RaceGrrl
08-31-22, 01:03 PM
Hyde was a dog's dog, but he loved people too, and in a terrier breed, that's something that takes a lot of work to develop. The hardest thing is knowing when the time is right to let them go. It never gets easier. Fortunately our other three are beautiful reminders of what an awesome dog Hyde was. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

swift
08-31-22, 11:22 PM
I cannot imagine how this must hurt. May your beautiful memories of laughter and playfulness sustain you.

cameraman
08-31-22, 11:44 PM
:(:(:(

nrc
09-01-22, 01:53 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes. I appreciate being able to share how much we loved having Hyde in our lives.

TRDfan
09-01-22, 06:54 AM
They do truly become part of the family. Hold on to those memories, and take time to grieve the loss.

Pilgrims Drop
09-01-22, 08:06 AM
Terribly sorry... Will throw an extra ball to my pupper today on one of our walks for you...

indyfan31
09-02-22, 01:18 PM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Hyde. We lost our boy a year ago June, to this day we still miss him terribly.
I've lost immediate family members and it didn't leave me this gutted. Again, our condolences.

pfc_m_drake
09-07-22, 11:50 PM
Late to the game (as usual) but just wanted to say :(

G.
09-13-22, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear.

Great tribute to Hyde. :thumbup:

(sorry - it's not about me, but...)
Waiting for lab results for our fur-kid. I pretty much know it's going to be bad (lymphoma).
It's going to be really bad for our kids. They barely remember the last time this happened.
Two of my kids are "special needs" and their intellectual understanding and emotional understanding is compromised. Won't know how they take it until they take it. :(

SteveH
09-14-22, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear.

Waiting for lab results for our fur-kid. I pretty much know it's going to be bad (lymphoma).
It's going to be really bad for our kids. They barely remember the last time this happened.
Two of my kids are "special needs" and their intellectual understanding and emotional understanding is compromised. Won't know how they take it until they take it. :(

Good luck, G

nrc
09-14-22, 05:12 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that. Obviously we can empathize but your kids add another level of difficulty. Wishing you peace and wisdom as you take this hard road.

RaceGrrl
09-19-22, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear.

I'm sorry, G. It's tough enough for adults. Kids sometimes surprise us with their resilience and understanding though.