PDA

View Full Version : New -er- car time

devilmaster
08-28-22, 11:09 AM
I had pledged to run my 2008 Chrysler Aspen into the ground when I bought it back in 2015, and by crikey, I came very close. 265000 kms, and it was at the point where it was time to redo everything on it.

But finally, yesterday was the day. I went 3 years new-er-, found a low km vehicle that had a really good carfax and an owner who kept it consistently worked on at the dealer.

I've always wanted one, I'm well aware of the risks and extra costs, but we'll see if the adage is true - 'never meet your heroes'.

The plan is to keep this one only for a max of two years, (i'll have paid off the financing within 1 to 1.5 years tops) and use the residual value to upgrade again to something newer.

Anyways, enough stalling, bought a 2011 range rover sport supercharged...

devilmaster
08-28-22, 11:10 AM
and since Mapguy doesn't really post here anymore, I'll pass off his response on my facebook post: :rofl::laugh::rofl:

SteveH
08-28-22, 01:09 PM
Looks very nice. Enjoy!

nrc
08-28-22, 05:18 PM
Very nice. I loved our MINIs in spite of their appetite for expensive maintenance once it stopped being free. In this age of transportation appliances it's nice to have a vehicle with character.

We've been using the CX5 like a truck so in a perfect world we'd replace it with a four door truck but I want to pay cash so I have to wait for this crazy market and our car savings to intersect.

WickerBill
08-28-22, 05:29 PM
First thing I saw was what appears to be limo tint. No fishbowl for you!

devilmaster
08-29-22, 02:50 PM
First thing I saw was what appears to be limo tint. No fishbowl for you!

Yah, not one of my favorite things. It really makes the rearview mirror useless. i park underground so I'm not worried about heat and I used to drive bodyjobs in the military so I'm used to backing up with mirrors alone. the rear camera helps.

devilmaster
08-29-22, 03:34 PM
but I want to pay cash so I have to wait for this crazy market and our car savings to intersect.

Yep, my thinking is aligned. I purposely went with something so old as to drop a decent payment and financing only enough to pay it off within a year.

I wanted something that should retain strong value after this time to help pay for the next one and keep my payments low and over quick. The thought of 7,8, and 9 year financing for new vehicles (and slightly used ones) is something I just can't swallow.

pfc_m_drake
08-29-22, 07:20 PM
Even though I'm a new-ish vehicle owner myself, I remain insanely jealous over the deal that you got.
Some guys have all the luck :D
Congrats to you! You're an unbelievably hard worker, so I'm happy you got an awesome deal!!!:cool:

nrc
08-30-22, 06:06 PM
Yep, my thinking is aligned. I purposely went with something so old as to drop a decent payment and financing only enough to pay it off within a year.

Yeah, that was our approach for the last few cars - make sure that it's an asset and not a liability from day one so you can get out of it if you have to. Now we're trying to stay on track for retirement so we want to keep our expenses low and just dig up the coffee can and pay cash when we need it.