PDA

View Full Version : Memo Gidley still getting it done

rabbit
05-26-22, 09:51 AM
https://www.imsa.com/news/2022/05/24/memo-rable-journey-reaches-memo-rable-moment-gidleys-return-to-victory-lane/

Good read.

TravelGal
05-26-22, 10:11 PM
https://www.imsa.com/news/2022/05/24/memo-rable-journey-reaches-memo-rable-moment-gidleys-return-to-victory-lane/

Good read.

:thumbup:

nrc
05-27-22, 06:56 PM
I always hoped he'd get a real shot in CART. Great to see him doing well.

SteveH
05-27-22, 08:39 PM
I was at Road America when he had that massive impact with the concrete support to the bridge in 2001. I had the scanner on the TV race broadcast and when they went to commercial the announcers kept discussing how severe it was between themselves while off air. Based on that I was nearly certain he was severely injured or worse. I couldn’t see the wreck from where I was sitting. It was chilling.

JoeBob
06-03-22, 05:11 PM
I was at Road America when he had that massive impact with the concrete support to the bridge in 2001. I had the scanner on the TV race broadcast and when they went to commercial the announcers kept discussing how severe it was between themselves while off air. Based on that I was nearly certain he was severely injured or worse. I couldn’t see the wreck from where I was sitting. It was chilling.

I was at the track too, and had my scanner on race control. I'll never forget the words of the safety team when they arrived on the scene. "The car is car 12, the driver is code 5." (Code 5 = critically injured/dead)

They immediately discussed where to direct the medical helicopter to land - thankfully, they updated the code, and called off the helicopter.

But the initial response from the safety team was very, very scary.

G.
06-07-22, 05:17 PM

I was in the pits, listening to a driver. He got VERY excited about the crash (scared). I got up to change the monitor from timing to cameras, and got the dirtiest look from the driver's wife. Once she saw what was happening, she stopped staring daggers into my back.

Before the safety crew got there (I think - maybe after), the driver said he saw a thumbs-up from Memo. :thumbup:

Or was that a thumbs-down... ?

pfc_m_drake
06-07-22, 07:20 PM
I was NOT there as some of you were.
BUT
I remember it was a *HUGE* crash. At the time I saw it I was thinking it was going to be a bad outcome.

Separately, I've always been a big fan of Memo. I remember when he had his crash at the 24-hours of Daytona a few years back thinking, "Oh no...this is really bad."

And it was.
But, he rebounded from that crash also!

Great guy - hope the good times continue :thumbup: