PDA

View Full Version : Security & Virus Protection Software

Elmo T
05-02-22, 03:05 PM
Finally had to bite the bullet and purchase a new laptop.

It has a trial of McAfee loaded. The kids still have Kaspersky on their personal laptops from years back. Not sure that is a good idea :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

So what seems best moving forward?

Just doing basic home computer type work & using it for when I am out teaching at FD's around the area. The college lets me download Office 365 but nothing for virus protection.

WickerBill
05-05-22, 07:42 AM
This is a 20 page research document, but AV is mostly useless today. I've resorted to ripping the preinstalled stuff off of my customers' laptops and just running Windows Defender.

TravelGal
05-05-22, 12:48 PM
This is a 20 page research document, but AV is mostly useless today. I've resorted to ripping the preinstalled stuff off of my customers' laptops and just running Windows Defender.

Sort of glad to read that since that's what I'm doing--just running Windows Defender. Or, and sometimes Malware Bytes.

TedN
05-05-22, 06:41 PM
I also just run Defender as a default. Never had any issues detected. Once in a while I run FixMe Stick just for good measure.

pfc_m_drake
05-05-22, 07:54 PM
Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Home (e.g. Free)

nrc
05-05-22, 08:16 PM

That's a lot of value packed into one forum post. I may start an Off Camber premium tier. :D

Elmo T
05-06-22, 12:47 PM
Thanks y'all.

I knew I could count on OC for a direct no BS answer (or perhaps sometimes a 20 page research document)!