PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland PD asks for thoughts on Grand Prix

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:31 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/fanlines/

"The Cleveland Grand Prix seems to be a hit with night racing. Do you think holding the event under the lights provides more excitement? Is there anything else that should be done to improve the race?"

They have been running this question since Monday, so I don't know how soon that it'll be before they publish the letters, but perhaps there is still time to get some thoughts in. Here is what I sent:

"I think that IMG and CART did an excellent job promoting and putting on the Grand Prix. Look at it this way: Last year, I was by myself on Friday and Saturday, and only my brother bothered to come along on race day. Yet, this year, I was able to get about ten other people to come to the track with me.

The biggest problem that the Grand Prix (or CART, more specifically) faces is maintaining fan interest. The people at the race love the event, but they don't watch these races on TV. They don't think the racing is the most exciting, and in most cases, they don't have a driver to follow either. CART needs to work on increasing the grids from the 18-20 they prefer, to 25-30 so that there is more on-track action. I think if the cars were more similar to those in the CART Toyota Atlantic series, the racing would be awesome, and the fans would be hooked.

Another thing CART needs to do is work towards getting sponsors who are interested in recruiting American drivers. Now I don't think they should just add more Americans for the sake of having Americans, but there are many competitive drivers from our country would would be perfect for CART. Experienced drivers like Alex Barron and Memo Gidley, as well as up and coming drivers like A.J. Allmendinger would be much more popular with the fans than Rodolfo Lavin and Tiago Montiero, and are much faster anyway. Unfortunately, rides for these drivers are hard to come by without the driver already having sufficent funding, which is why many talented drivers are left on the sidelines.

Failure to address these issues will only result in the continued questioning over the future of both the Cleveland GP, and CART itself."

pchall
07-10-03, 08:42 PM
ermmmmm?

Did Fred Nation or Roger Pimpske take him out to lunch over the weekend? In my experience with local radio and print journalism, this kind of reporting can be bought with a cheap steak dinner.

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by pchall
ermmmmm?

Did Fred Nation or Roger Pimpske take him out to lunch over the weekend? In my experience with local radio and print journalism, this kind of reporting can be bought with a cheap steak dinner.

:confused:

pchall
07-10-03, 09:22 PM
I went to that link and got directed to a shill piece that I responded to...

Sean O'Gorman
07-11-03, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I went to that link and got directed to a shill piece that I responded to...

That's odd. The link is just supposed to be for the page that provides the feedback form or e-mail address to answer the question.

Sean O'Gorman
07-14-03, 09:25 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/fanlines/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058175229271340.xml

They printed the comments sent in by both myself and pchall, as well as 2 others from 7G. I think that Defender wrote in too. :rolleyes:

Napoleon
07-14-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
They printed the comments sent in by both myself and pchall, as well as 2 others from 7G. I think that Defender wrote in too. :rolleyes:

I recognize 6 of the e-mail addresses as belonging to posters. Any guess as to who the lemming is that wrote in? Whoever it is is using a Northeast Ohio service provider.

RaceGrrl
07-14-03, 10:27 AM
I recognize the name Stephanie Adair. For some reason, I'm thinking that she's registered at 7G or TF.

Napoleon
07-14-03, 10:33 AM
Steph Adair is from 7G. She graduated from CWRU in Cleveland something like 2, 3 or 4 years ago and lives in C-bus.

RaceGrrl
07-14-03, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Steph Adair is from 7G. She graduated from CWRU in Cleveland something like 2, 3 or 4 years ago and lives in C-bus.

But was she the lemming you were referring to?

{edit} Nevermind, I read the thing wrong. Doh.

Napoleon
07-14-03, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Nevermind, I read the thing wrong. Doh.

:) The names follow what they wrote, not preceeds it.

Kate
07-15-03, 07:07 AM
People need to have a chance to get to know the drivers as individuals, as they did the Deserters (who were not household names when they came into the series). Each is an interesting individual with a distinct personality and a lot to say about the series. That's the one thing I'd stress if asked. The drivers are eager to promote the series and all who were asked did everything to accommodate -- Tags was giving 3 interviews at a time, in three different languages, even while he shoveled in his dinner! Educating the mass sports media is the biggest challenge, IMO. And changing the general feeling in the USA and Canada that racing is a hobby, not a career, would help too. I've been trying to help a young Canadian driver get sponsorship, and lots of potential sponsors seem to take the view that racing is something you do until you grow up and get a real job.