PDA

View Full Version : Magazines.

Kiwifan
04-02-22, 03:54 AM
We were having a bit of a tidy up today and I found a box of Racer and Championship Racing magazines from 2000. Wow, those Champ Cars sure looked beautiful.

Does anyone still keep their copies of said magazines or are they long gone? I thought we had it all but I was wrong obviously. Still bitter. ????

Times like this I think of Railbird, Cam, Lizzerd, dando and all those of you who were so welcoming and helpful on the forums. Oddly I’ve only met two of you after all these year. Hi Gal. ????

WickerBill
04-02-22, 11:48 AM
We were having a bit of a tidy up today and I found a box of Racer and Championship Racing magazines from 2000. Wow, those Champ Cars sure looked beautiful.

96-00 was an incredible five years of CART. Penske's "shopping cart" and resurgence, Ganassi's boys, the rise of deFerran, the always ready to pounce on a victory Team Green and Newman Haas, Toyota finally coming good, and the gorgeous cars and liveries.

I lost my magazines in a move, I think - it would be a lot of fun to look back at them.

TravelGal
04-02-22, 01:05 PM

Does anyone still keep their copies of said magazines or are they long gone? I thought we had it all but I was wrong obviously. Still bitter. ????

Times like this I think of Railbird, Cam, Lizzerd, dando and all those of you who were so welcoming and helpful on the forums. Oddly I’ve only met two of you after all these year. Hi Gal. ????

:) All these years and we're still trying to meet up again!

In the F1 chat this past weekend we were talking about all those we have lost. I particularly miss Cam, erock, and oddlycalm. Like you, I haven't gotten over the split and the mergification but I've taken to watching Indycar because, after all, it's faster than baseball (most races) and that Alex Palou is a real cutie. :D I never kept the magazines but I still have some hero cards and the Wheaties box with Jimmy and Alex. :thumbup:

SteveH
04-02-22, 06:07 PM
I have kept some. But to be honest it pisses me off to this day to look at them. Thanks :tony: you jerk.

SteveH
04-02-22, 06:09 PM
I do have two or three cases of CART trading cards that I’ve never opened. Thought maybe one day they might be worth more than I paid for them. Probably a good thing I don’t recall what they cost.

pfc_m_drake
04-02-22, 08:17 PM
96-00 was an incredible five years of CART. Penske's "shopping cart" and resurgence, Ganassi's boys, the rise of deFerran, the always ready to pounce on a victory Team Green and Newman Haas, Toyota finally coming good, and the gorgeous cars and liveries.

I lost my magazines in a move, I think - it would be a lot of fun to look back at them.
I don't think it ever got to show its potential due to the Toyota not being of age yet, but '99 was also the last Gurney Eagle to race. Always wondered what that chassis could have done in the period with Ford-Cosworth in the back.

Good times, great memories.

To answer the OP, I have 2 or 3 CART/ChampCar magazines of the era in my desk at work. Wish I would have kept more of them.

nrc
04-03-22, 01:46 AM
We still have some of the old magazines in a box in the basement along with various other memorabilia including a couple of boxes of Team Target Wheaties. The Rahal's Last Ride memorabilia is particularly sour for me.

Nothing lasts forever and I guess I'm glad that I never had see them try to solve modern safety problems and turn the cars into the kind of abominations we see today.

At least we can laugh at the fact that Penske owns it all now.

nissan gtp
04-04-22, 06:29 PM
I got rid of my racing magazines, but have all the Autocourse annuals, up to the final Champcar one.

Kiwifan
04-05-22, 01:20 AM
Found a few videos! of CART and Champ Car so just transferring them to DVD just in case video recorders/players go out of fashion. Apart from the actual tape quality compared to todays broadcast it is still pretty exciting to see the cars tearing around Surfers and the like.

Time to move on Russ, time to move on. :D

WickerBill
04-05-22, 07:35 AM
just transferring them to DVD just in case video recorders/players go out of fashion.

:D :D

RTKar
04-10-22, 03:48 PM
It still makes me mad, I have quite a few copies of Racer & IndyCar. What it is now, isn't close to what it was :irked:

Kiwifan
04-10-22, 04:32 PM
It still makes me mad, I have quite a few copies of Racer & IndyCar. What it is now, isn't close to what it was :irked:

Yep.

I tried to reread some of the mags but it just made me madder so out they go today. :(

TravelGal
04-11-22, 10:55 AM
Time to move on Russ, time to move on. :D

We don't have a hug emoji or I'd put that. I just try not to think about it. But you'll note that I go every year to the LB Motorsports Walk of Fame induction ceremony but not to the race itself. That tells volumes.