PDA

View Full Version : Local reporter rips Cleveland GP

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 07:22 PM
A co-worker of mine brought this article to my attention this morning, so I'm posting it here. It is by one of the sports reporters for our local FOX affiliate, and it was published in the Medina County Gazette, which I'd never even heard of before today. His e-mail address is listed at the bottom, so I suggest you all let him know what you think.

-------------------------------------------------

Grand Prix needs miracle to be back

If the Cleveland Grand Prix returns next year, it will be a miracle ranking just below the biblical raising of Lazarus. The Vatican will have to be involved and why not? The race has been dominated by foreigners for over a decade.

The 22nd running of the race was a good effort under the lights Saturday night, but it was a promotional fiasco.

In the first place, there is no promoter. IMG, the sports marketing giant headquartered in downtown Cleveland, quietly turned the race back to CART, the corporation that puts on this open-wheel racing series.

It is the third time IMG has abandoned a race. Previously it promoted races in Detroit and Dallas. Having failed to make them profitable, IMG walked away and both are out of business.

Cleveland's corporate community also has abandoned the race. Twenty years ago Budweiser paid $950,000 for naming rights. It was known far and wide as the Budweiser 500. All that remains of that relationship are faded T-shirts.

When Budweiser dropped out, other title sponsors signed up for brief periods of time at decreasing prices until this year when there was no title sponsor at all.

The Chalet Village had more vacancies than tenants this year. Since the turn of the century corporate sponsorships of chalets plummeted by 80 percent. A head counter at one entrance to the Chalet Village said that 5,000 passed through his entrance on race day last year.

This year only 900 came by. In previous years the chalet complex was like a small city. Harlan Diamond of Executive Caterers provided a royal banquet for corporate guests in palatial white tents. This year it resembled a boy scout overnight camp out.

Harlan Diamond was replaced by a hot dog roast. Nevertheless, hoping to resuscitate the race here, CART turned it into a night race at considerable cost. Figures are not readily available, but the light bill had to be approaching a million dollars.

But nobody checked the NASCAR schedule.

The race was not on live television anywhere — not on network TV and not even on Speed Channel — because it would have been ratings suicide to compete against NASCAR's Firecracker 400 from Daytona live on NBC.

The Cleveland Grand Prix was played on tape Sunday afternoon.

The announced attendace of 58,000 was a gross canard. Previous promoters confided that the race never drew that many people on its best day.

I'll estimate, based on crowds at high school games, that 30,000 people actually turned out for the race under the lights. The bleachers were smaller than in past years. The sections on the far ends were about the size of the home bleachers at Lutheran West High School.

Casual fans usually try it once or twice, but frankly, what woman wants to sit in a porta-potty where the temperature rises to 120 degrees?

What guy wants to use one? It is a tough night out.

Open wheel racing generally is in trouble in this country. The drivers are strangers. Here in Cleveland only three of 19 drivers were Americans.

There were as many Brazilians as Americans. There were as many Mexicans. It's tough to get interested in a guy you never heard of before. There were seven rookies in Saturday night's race.

Name one.

The series is so un-American, that when the race actually got on the air Sunday, the two announcers were former English race drivers.

This may sound flippant and crass, but a little danger might heighten the drama. Runner-up Paul Tracy said that after the race his hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel.

In the meantime, they're bouncing off walls in NASCAR and the only accent you hear in the pits is a southern twang.

Coughlin may be reached at sports@ohio.net.

Lizzerd
07-10-03, 07:38 PM
But nobody checked the NASCAR schedule.

The race was not on live television anywhere ? not on network TV and not even on Speed Channel ? because it would have been ratings suicide to compete against NASCAR's Firecracker 400 from Daytona live on NBC.

Duh... exactly why the race was televised on Sunday, you dumbass.

The series is so un-American, that when the race actually got on the air Sunday, the two announcers were former English race drivers.

This may sound flippant and crass, but a little danger might heighten the drama.

So let me get this straight. This idiot thinks that crashing and American drivers makes a good race?

This guy has Kwality Tool written all over his forehead. I'm gonna send him a message, because apparently he didn't see (and obviously didn't attend) the same race I did.

mello
07-10-03, 07:38 PM
One of those heat of the moment things when I need to sit back and wait till tomorrow to write this idiot so I don't come across as sounding as stupid as he is.

nissan gtp
07-10-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
A co-worker of mine brought this article to my attention this morning, so I'm posting it here. It is by one of the sports reporters for our local FOX affiliate, and it was published in the Medina County Gazette, which I'd never even heard of before today. His e-mail address is listed at the bottom, so I suggest you all let him know what you think.

-------------------------------------------------

Grand Prix needs miracle to be back

The announced attendace of 58,000 was a gross canard. Previous promoters confided that the race never drew that many people on its best day.

I'll estimate, based on crowds at high school games, that 30,000 people actually turned out for the race under the lights. The bleachers were smaller than in past years. The sections on the far ends were about the size of the home bleachers at Lutheran West High School.

Coughlin may be reached at sports@ohio.net.

:flame:

this guy is an idiot and :gomer:

doubt he was there (or else got hammered at the log cabin)

I was there (first time) and the crowd was excellent (very few empty seats and lots 'o fans along the fence).

responding would just encourage him. Do you have his boss's email ?

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:04 PM
BTW, RaceChic, thanks for passing it on to crapwagon.com. I would've posted it, but I don't want to reveal my name there. Well, that, and I don't remember my password. :o :laugh:

Napoleon
07-10-03, 08:19 PM
Sean, who is the writer, Tom Coughlin?

RaceChic
07-10-03, 08:24 PM
BTW, RaceChic, thanks for passing it on to crapwagon.com. I would've posted it, but I don't want to reveal my name there. Well, that, and I don't remember my password. :o :laugh:

Glad you don't mind. I gave you credit, though!???! :D

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Sean, who is the writer, Tom Coughlin?

Yes. The person who told me about this isn't a race fan, but he told me that Tom Coughlin from FOX 8 wrote an article ripping on the GP and he went into detail on what he said about it. I asked him to bring the article in to work tomorrow so I can see it, but I found it online anyway (http://www.medina-gazette.com).

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Glad you don't mind. I gave you credit, though!???! :D

crapwagon.com is the only place where I'm not registered under my own name. Too many people would probably look at me as a lemming or a troll so I figured it was best to pick a different name. I only have maybe 7 posts there anyway, so its not that big of a deal.

pchall
07-10-03, 08:31 PM
This could just earn the guy a nomination for a regional 2003 Kernan Award.

cart7
07-10-03, 08:31 PM
Hmmm.. From the overall style of this article, this guy probably does stick and ball sports most of the year. He doesn't seem to have a clue about motorsports.

Except for the OW racing dying anyway.

RaceChic
07-10-03, 08:37 PM
Were there two Cleveland Grand Prix at night this year??? I was at one and usually I have a pretty good idea what is happening with CART. :confused: :laugh: :confused: :laugh:

pchall
07-10-03, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Hmmm.. From the overall style of this article, this guy probably does stick and ball sports most of the year. He doesn't seem to have a clue about motorsports...

This guy is a local hack who was probably bought with a cheap steak dinner and few beers. The sports press/media is full of these hacks.

:barfonkernanicon:

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by pchall
This guy is a local hack who was probably bought with a cheap steak dinner and few beers.

http://164.109.57.227/dynamic/images/stories/personalities/dan_coughlin.jpg

I think this answers your question. :laugh: Looks like Nap and I got the guy's first name wrong too.

pchall
07-10-03, 09:18 PM
This guy needs a mailbox full of polite criticisms and corrections. Be sure to cc his sports department editor and the station manager as well: that will make next Tuesday's marketing meeting very interesting for him.

slashman
07-10-03, 11:16 PM
I wrote the J..k. I hope a few more people will!!

:flame: :flame:

Slashman

nrc
07-10-03, 11:38 PM

Another moron who can't count past 20. The end sections have always been smaller than the center sections. It's only logical for construction and getting in and out of the seats. 40 seats in the center sections, 20 on the ends. Dummy.

I'm not sure if the general admission stand was in turn 8 this year, but the only other stand that has disappeared in recent years is the stand that was used for Marconi employees.

Regardless of what numbers you want to believe, the bottom line is that there were substantially more people there every day this year than last year and the atmosphere was much more positive.

Spicoli
07-11-03, 12:31 PM
What a dick.

Napoleon
07-11-03, 03:16 PM
One more reason for me not to watch Fox 8.