PDA

View Full Version : NFL Off Season 2022

WickerBill
03-08-22, 05:23 PM

SteveH
03-08-22, 10:04 PM
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/1501267667336019976?s=20&t=s105u687zyyA76gBvkSHVw

nrc
03-08-22, 11:26 PM
I'm going to take this to mean that you're enthused. :D

WickerBill
03-09-22, 07:34 AM
Enthused is a good word. I'm not out of my mind excited like when Manning went as a free transfer, because the Broncos had to give up a lot of picks and players, and also Drew Lock. Plus, when Manning came, it meant Tebow had to leave, so I was definitely more excited then.

Thoughts:

- I didn't realize Wilson was 33. I figured he was 36.
- The Broncos are instantly a scary team, because they had great offensive talent and a good defense and just really needed a QB brain and a coach who didn't loathe offense.
- Doesn't mean they're the best, even in the AFC West. The AFC West is bonkers.

nrc
03-29-22, 11:15 PM
Good to hear that the NFL will change OT only in the playoffs. Both teams get the ball, period. I don't think it's worth extending the game in regular season. Get a defense.

Meanwhile excitement over the Browns breaking the bank to acquire Deshaun Watson is... well, just not there. Even my Browns fan friends are like... WTF? I think they saw the Next Gen elite QBs in the playoffs and just flat panicked.

WickerBill
03-30-22, 11:30 AM
Am I remembering wrong? Is/was Watson elite level, or more like Cousins / Carr (i.e. upper-mid level)? Is he THAT much of an upgrade from Baker?

nrc
03-30-22, 12:39 PM
Back in '19 when the Texans last went to the playoffs he was being hyped as a potential MVP. On stats he's a pretty clear upgrade from Mayfield. Career rating of 104.5 vs 87.8. Completion percentage of 67.9% vs. 61.6%. TD/I of 104/36 vs 92/56.

So that's all good for them if the cloud over him doesn't erupt into a **** storm. But even if it doesn't, have they created an impossible salary cap situation? I know they're hoping for a happy ending but I think they'll be disappointed.

nrc
07-30-22, 03:36 PM
Lots of new alternate helmets this year. The NFL has lifted the restriction that called for a single helmet shell and that has allowed a lot of new helmets to pair with alternate uniforms. This has allowed the Bengals to add a white helmet to complete the "white tiger" look that the fans have been clamoring for since they did their monochrome "color rush" uniforms.

This will escalate their monochrome uniforms from "fresh" to "super fresh."

I'm not as big a fan of this as many of the fans because I've always liked the orange. But as an occasional alternate, I think it's great. Even as many of the other teams are using these new helmets to complete blacked-out looks, the Bengals go the opposite direction. Don't be surprised if you see other teams start to wear their whites more often in the future.

SteveH
07-30-22, 07:23 PM
The Cincinnati Bears
https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2022/07/24/022a432e-bb71-4400-bc35-11679be0927c/thumbnail/770x433/4b55f17a30e472761067fbd26512cc62/template-pic.jpg

WickerBill
08-09-22, 11:51 AM
Oh dear, nrc. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34373374/cincinnati-bengals-play-paycor-stadium-following-naming-rights-deal

nrc
08-10-22, 01:33 AM
Oh dear, nrc. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34373374/cincinnati-bengals-play-paycor-stadium-following-naming-rights-deal

Meh. Not thrilled about it but the reality is they need to strike while the iron is hot and scoop up every nickle they can get. Everything in the stadium is getting named now. As long as they use it to pay Joe Burrow I'm fine with it. It's a consolation that they finally started a ring of honor last year with Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz.

Plus, they can't make me call it that. :D

WickerBill
08-10-22, 08:37 AM
It's a consolation that they finally started a ring of honor last year with Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz.

Just last year?

No Ken Anderson? No Collinsworth? Krumrie? Esiason? Surely they're coming soon, yeah?

nrc
08-10-22, 03:54 PM
Just last year?

No Ken Anderson? No Collinsworth? Krumrie? Esiason? Surely they're coming soon, yeah?

Yes, just last year. For real. Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz were inducted automatically as HOF members. The inaugural inductees were Ken Anderson and Ken Riley, who should both be in the HOF.

This year's inductees will be Isaac Curtis and Willie Anderson. Isaac Curtis should also be in the HOF. He was the template for the modern wide receiver and changed the game. Willie Anderson was one of the best right tackles ever and he's been nominated but I don't know if he'll ever make the HOF since his teams never won the big games to earn him the accolades he deserves.

I'm sure Collinsworth, Krumrie, and Esiason will make it eventually. Esiason and Chad Johnson are likely next year, I think. Then maybe Krumrie and Collinsworth. Lamar Parrish, Corey Dillon, and Bob Trumpy could be in there somewhere.

Esiason and Collinsworth might slide because some fans consider them insufficiently gushing in their media comments about the team over the years.