PDA

View Full Version : "Pollock to CART's rescue?"

rabbit
07-10-03, 01:38 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030710/car_cart2-sun.html

Given the chance to design a new CART, Pollock said the first thing he would do is change the name.

"Maybe the American Grand Prix Series or the Formula America Series," he said.
Why do we need to change the name? Part of the reason CART can't seem to build any brand awareness is because it keeps reinventing itself: CART, IndyCar, CART again, Champ Car. Stick with something and promote the heck out of it!

Pollock would incorporate some of the more successful F-1 formats, such as a standing start and one-lap qualifying.Standing starts might be okay, especially with as much trouble as we've had this year getting races started (see also Portland)

Pollock also would reduce the CART calendar from its 19 dates to a more manageable 14. I don't think we need to reduce the number of races, unless it's the only way teams can afford to stay in the series. Cutting races should only be used as a survival tool. It does absolutely nothing to improve the product. In fact, it does more damage to the product than good. Part of NASCAR's success has come from the fact it races every single week. If you go to NASCAR.com you don't get popup ads telling you when the next race is and where it will be on TV. The next race in on Sunday and it will be on either NBC or Fox, depending on what time of year it is.

Pollock has managed to suck as a team owner in two different series. He's given bad advice ("Take the BAR ride, Jacques!") to his biggest client and effectively ruined his career. I don't think this is the guy I want running CART. :thumdown:

pchall
07-10-03, 01:44 PM
Hey, I at least want somebody running CART in 2004 and the foreseeable future.

I'd rather be testing the New CART on approval than not attending formula car races in NA at all...

Peter Olivola
07-10-03, 02:18 PM
Craig Pollock is an idiot. He hasn't done anything in racing to justify being listened to on any aspect of the sport.

Railbird
07-10-03, 02:45 PM
I was calling for a more nafta based series before Pook decided to go on a euro fishing expidetion.

Pollock's track record is fairly spotty and I don't see him as anything other than the front man for whoever buys the thing.

But

You're more than likely going to have to suffer through him and/or Jargon Joe before this is all said and done.

racer2c
07-10-03, 02:48 PM
Jargon Joe is back?

JoeBob
07-10-03, 02:54 PM
Pollack Seems like the Andy Evans of the 21st Century.

Turn7
07-10-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
Jargon Joe is back?

Jargon Joe is Forsythes lead man. If Forsythe has the controlling intrest, Jargon Joe will be in charge of the bigtop full of Circus Clowns.

Spicoli
07-10-03, 03:14 PM
That 14 races comment is pure BS.

racer2c
07-10-03, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Jargon Joe is Forsythes lead man. If Forsythe has the controlling intrest, Jargon Joe will be in charge of the bigtop full of Circus Clowns.

Weird. First I've heard of this. I thought he was run out of the motorsport game.

Napoleon
07-10-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
You're more than likely going to have to suffer through him and/or Jargon Joe before this is all said and done.

Bird, I respect your opinion and want some advise. Should I jump off a tall building now or wait until an official announcemet regarding either of these two?

JoeBob
07-10-03, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
Weird. First I've heard of this. I thought he was run out of the motorsport game.

Joe has been working for Forsythe's Race Promotion business since he was releived of his duties at CART. Most notably, he was in charge of the Mexico City event.

I'm not excited about the prospects of Joe's Triumphant return, but he does get somewhat of a bad rap. He is the guy who brought in Terry Lingner to handle TV, and he got a decent CBS/SPEED package worked out. His problems were that he wasn't able to get control back from the owners, and that he didn't understand the point of view of a race promoter.

What he's been doing the last year or so should get him some of the experience he was lacking the first time around. And, he'd be taking charge in an environment where he is in control. Before Pook, CEOs were in a no win situation. They were talking heads who weren't really in charge - the owners were. However, when something went wrong, they got the blame.

Hink
07-10-03, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Peter Olivola
Craig Pollock is an idiot. He hasn't done anything in racing to justify being listened to on any aspect of the sport.

Excellent summary of the opinion I hold as well.

Dr. Corkski
07-10-03, 04:09 PM
Pollock can barely run his own team. What makes you think he can run a whole damn series?

Railbird
07-10-03, 10:09 PM
Pollock will be nothing more than the front man if he ends up being anything at all imo.

After all, after JV fires him he'll need a desk somewhere since his duties at PKR seem fairly invisible...;)

But then again, he put PKR together in just a few weeks with nothing more than some visits and phonecalls. You can't forget that that team didn't exist in December and ended up at Sebring .

RTKar
07-10-03, 10:25 PM
There's something about this guy I don't care for, can't quite put my finger on it... but that he started at BAR with a boat load of money and accomplished zilch say's enough for me.

RaceChic
07-10-03, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Pollock would incorporate some of the more successful F-1 formats, such as a standing start and one-lap qualifying.

I don't want to see CART become just like another series. How can CART create presence as their own product if they do everything, including the v10s, to look like something else?

Quote:
Pollock also would reduce the CART calendar from its 19 dates to a more
manageable 14.

Forget it! I want to see more, not less! I want to see the series grow, not shrink! :flame:

Railbird
07-10-03, 10:33 PM
Let's say his failures have been much more spectacular than his succeses.

nrc
07-10-03, 11:10 PM
The fact that Pollock has an interest is a good indication that someone else will be spending the money. I agree with Railbird - he's a bit player at best.

I like the North American idea, but he can keep the rest of his F-wannabee ideas.