PDA

View Full Version : Mazda? NO!

nrc
11-15-21, 05:14 PM
One of the last sources of stylish, attractive... vehicles has now been fully assimilated. Behold the new Mazda CX-50.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/15/2023-mazda-cx-50-reveal/

Looks like a Subaru crossed with a Hyundai. Bleh. At least it's got a luggage rack for grandma.

datachicane
11-15-21, 06:00 PM
I miss cars. Cars and trucks are different tools for different jobs. Trucks are for hauling firewood or towing racecars. Confusing the two leads to compromises that a more rational society would judge as unacceptable.

cameraman
11-15-21, 10:34 PM
That roof rack looks more like a futon frame. Not sure how you would put any aftermarket attachments onto those wide cross pieces.:saywhat:

WickerBill
11-16-21, 09:36 AM
Eh, still looks like a Mazda to me. :p

TravelGal
11-16-21, 07:59 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nrc
11-17-21, 04:50 PM

We can't all be connoisseurs of fine automotive styling. :gomer:

WickerBill
11-17-21, 09:56 PM
We can't all be connoisseurs of fine automotive styling. :gomer:

Dude, Mazda has their fair share of swings and misses. Granted, it isn't great when the RAV4 looks better than your latest model...

nrc
11-18-21, 03:21 AM
Dude, Mazda has their fair share of swings and misses. Granted, it isn't great when the RAV4 looks better than your latest model...

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

nrc
01-19-24, 08:38 PM
Mazda? YES!

Mazda snuck out another beauty of a concept car back in October. This one is supposed to be a plugin hybrid that uses a rotary engine as a range extender. That sounds cool but they've done it recently with a hybrid version of their MX-30 EV and reviews haven't been stellar. The rotary just doesn't add much to the package. It's supposed to benefit from being smaller and lighter than a typical piston range extender, but it seems like weak electric motors leave it feeling lethargic.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45630885/mazda-iconic-sp-concept-details/

In this case Mazda promises 368HP to move 3100 pounds which should be more spiritedly than the RX-8. Providing such specifics gives me hope that there's something to it. It would make sense for Mazda to create a platform like this that could serve both a sports car and roadster of the future.

I would also love to see the return of pop-up headlights, but I'm not sure how these would meet new pedestrian safety standards.

nissan gtp
01-20-24, 09:02 AM
the MX-30 didn’t sell because it had extremely short range, but made up for it by being expensive.

I hope they make a CX-30 hybrid, I’m going to be in the market soonish, and that would be just right