PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Grand Prix

TravelGal
09-22-21, 01:44 PM
Anyone going? Manic will be there some of the days. Racermike says he is working the corkscrew. I'm driving down to see the Oriol Servia induction into the Walk of Fame. Anyone else?

pfc_m_drake
09-22-21, 08:26 PM
Anyone going? Manic will be there some of the days. Racermike says he is working the corkscrew. I'm driving down to see the Oriol Servia induction into the Walk of Fame. Anyone else?

I've gone before, but unfortunately not this year :(

If you're going to go next year - hit me up ahead of time and if I can swing it, we'll definitely do a meet-up!!!

opinionated ow
09-22-21, 09:37 PM
Jealous! I'd love to go

TravelGal
09-24-21, 10:59 AM
I've gone before, but unfortunately not this year :(

If you're going to go next year - hit me up ahead of time and if I can swing it, we'll definitely do a meet-up!!!

Sounds good. I was there yesterday for Oriol Servia's induction into their Racing Walk of Fame. Not sure I feel like driving down again. Driver autographs today. Qualifying tomorrow. Race Sunday. Lots of driving for a few hours each because I'm not interested in the rest of the races. It just doesn't grab me. But then, a home race is never as much fun for me as going somewhere and being there the whole time to catch the buzz.

pfc_m_drake
09-25-21, 12:58 PM
Sounds good. I was there yesterday for Oriol Servia's induction into their Racing Walk of Fame. Not sure I feel like driving down again. Driver autographs today. Qualifying tomorrow. Race Sunday. Lots of driving for a few hours each because I'm not interested in the rest of the races. It just doesn't grab me. But then, a home race is never as much fun for me as going somewhere and being there the whole time to catch the buzz.

My cousin lives in San Diego, and I try to visit him once a year. I missed last year because...well...no explanation needed.

LB is supposed to be in Spring next year? Maybe we can do a race-day only thing...I'll take a couple of days vacation and wrap it all together. Let's talk when it gets closer.

TravelGal
09-25-21, 10:19 PM
My cousin lives in San Diego, and I try to visit him once a year. I missed last year because...well...no explanation needed.

LB is supposed to be in Spring next year? Maybe we can do a race-day only thing...I'll take a couple of days vacation and wrap it all together. Let's talk when it gets closer.

Yes, it's already scheduled for early April. You hear everyone saying they wish it were always in September because the weather is so much better. Spectacular here this weekend. Townsend Bell said it on TV during qualifying and even Jim Michaelian himself said it at the Walk of Fame Ceremony. But next year it's April 9 and 10.

Speaking of qualifying. That was interesting, wasn't it? I was actually glad I was watching it on TV so I had some idea of the questions instead of trying to figure it out on a scanner. I was also doing extreme slow-mo of the hairpin but not sure I ever saw Racermike.

pfc_m_drake
09-26-21, 12:25 PM
Yes, it's already scheduled for early April. You hear everyone saying they wish it were always in September because the weather is so much better. Spectacular here this weekend. Townsend Bell said it on TV during qualifying and even Jim Michaelian himself said it at the Walk of Fame Ceremony. But next year it's April 9 and 10.

Speaking of qualifying. That was interesting, wasn't it? I was actually glad I was watching it on TV so I had some idea of the questions instead of trying to figure it out on a scanner. I was also doing extreme slow-mo of the hairpin but not sure I ever saw Racermike.I have to confess that I didn't se qualifying (I was unexpectedly out of town tis weekend). I read about it though. Interesting. Should be an entertaining finale (hopefull)

TravelGal
09-27-21, 01:12 PM
I thought the announcing was pretty uneven but even so it was a pretty interesting race. From Ed Jones being typically Ed Jones and ruining the drama of Pato's chances to the different strategies keeping things lively. They all talk about Alex Palou. I've been a fan since his comments after coming in second at Indy so I was so happy he won the championship but PT may be right, watch out for Colton Herta. Next year could be a good one. Wonder what Dixon will do? His disappointment was palpable. Will he crank it up again? Who's next? :)

pfc_m_drake
09-27-21, 07:20 PM
I thought the announcing was pretty uneven but even so it was a pretty interesting race. From Ed Jones being typically Ed Jones and ruining the drama of Pato's chances to the different strategies keeping things lively. They all talk about Alex Palou. I've been a fan since his comments after coming in second at Indy so I was so happy he won the championship but PT may be right, watch out for Colton Herta. Next year could be a good one. Wonder what Dixon will do? His disappointment was palpable. Will he crank it up again? Who's next? :)Dixon could 'retire' to sportscars and probably be content. I'm wondering if Bourdais will be back. I see Pagenaud ended up with Michael Shank - slightly surprised by that, but...stranger things. I wonder who gets his seat at Penske?

opinionated ow
09-27-21, 08:46 PM
Dixon could 'retire' to sportscars and probably be content. I'm wondering if Bourdais will be back. I see Pagenaud ended up with Michael Shank - slightly surprised by that, but...stranger things. I wonder who gets his seat at Penske?

Nobody according to Marshall Pruett. Scott McLaughlin also said his engineer was going to the sportscar programme so I think that's probably what is going to happen to the 4th team

pfc_m_drake
09-28-21, 08:03 PM
Nobody according to Marshall Pruett. Scott McLaughlin also said his engineer was going to the sportscar programme so I think that's probably what is going to happen to the 4th team

That's right - I forgot, they're doing the Porsche Program again. Thanks for the refersher!:thumbup:

TravelGal
09-29-21, 11:09 AM
Dixon could 'retire' to sportscars and probably be content. I'm wondering if Bourdais will be back. I see Pagenaud ended up with Michael Shank - slightly surprised by that, but...stranger things. I wonder who gets his seat at Penske?

Dixon was done in a few times this year by factors not in his control. I can't imagine him retiring without at least one more try at 7 championships. Bourdais has been announced at IMSA and limited IndyCar, whatever that means.