SteveH
08-28-21, 10:32 AM
Looks like the broadcast has ended on ESPN 2

Try this for the remainder
https://www.twitch.tv/umgegm5tmtkax

Nope, it’s back. Would have deleted if I knew how

pfc_m_drake
08-29-21, 08:41 AM
That's ok. We'll use it as a race thread.
Race in ~20 minutes!

devilmaster
08-29-21, 08:54 AM
That's ok. We'll use it as a race thread.
Race in ~20 minutes!

just woke up... and i'm home this weekend...

pfc_m_drake
08-29-21, 09:02 AM

Delayed start. re we chatting or do you have stuf going on???

devilmaster
08-29-21, 09:04 AM
Delayed start. re we chatting or do you have stuf going on???

;)

yeah im in chat.

https://meet.jit.si/offcamberdotnet

devilmaster
08-29-21, 12:09 PM
zzzzzzz......

snugaekj.....

wathuhwhat?

*slap*slap*slap*

k... wake up time. we might get this in.

pfc_m_drake
08-29-21, 01:23 PM
Congratulations (?) to Max on the win and Russell/Williams on a podium!
:confused::thumbdown::flaming:

SteveH
08-29-21, 03:02 PM
Found on Reddit

With this year's Belgian Grand Prix lasting a mere 2 laps, here are the 9 shortest races in F1 history by time.
1 2021 Belgian Grand Prix, 3 Minutes 27 Seconds, Reason: Rain
2 1991 Australian Grand Prix, 24 Minutes 35 Seconds, Reason: Rain
3 1975 Spanish Grand Prix, 42 Minutes 53 Seconds, Reason: Rolf Stommelen's Accident
4 2009 Malaysian Grand Prix, 55 Minutes 31 Seconds, Reason: Rain
5 1975 Austrian Grand Prix, 57 Minutes 57 Seconds, Reason: Rain
6 1984 Monaco Grand Prix, 1 Hour 1 Minute 7 Seconds, Reason: Rain
7 1978 Italian Grand Prix, 1 Hour 7 Minutes 4 Seconds, Reason: Ronnie Peterson's Fatal Accident
8 2001 Belgian Grand Prix, 1 Hour 8 Minutes 5 Seconds, Reason: Luciano Burti's Accident
9 2003 Italian Grand Prix, 1 Hour 14 Minutes 19 Seconds, Fastest non-shortened race

TravelGal
08-29-21, 04:09 PM
Wasn't that a fine kettle of fish? The expression pops to mind after hearing the on air dudes say "kit and caboodle" and "kerfuffle" in the same sentence.

I had recorded it so after watching the last hour live I went back and sampled the rest of the rain delay. Lots of interesting facts. Loved hearing how happy they were that Grojean was there commentating for French radio. They even mentioned "IndyCar" and "the Americans call it a pace car." I assume their mouths were washed out with soap after they finished.

WickerBill
08-29-21, 05:03 PM
I hope they give refunds.

I hope they revisit the giving of points.

Not a single corner was raced.

SteveH
08-29-21, 05:09 PM
https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1431979466880794627?s=20

TheGuywho
08-29-21, 06:07 PM
I hope they give refunds.

I hope they revisit the giving of points.

Not a single corner was raced.

Reminds me of the Cluster @ Indy… at least they raced six cars?

Those fans deserve refunds or medals!!!

WickerBill
08-29-21, 07:07 PM
https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1431979466880794627?s=20

Agree they shouldn't have run. They shouldn't have even taken the track. It's 4+ miles, right? Zero chance the cars, running behind the safety car in steady rain, were ever going to make a racing line. This one stinks badly.

datachicane
08-29-21, 07:23 PM
Agree they shouldn't have run. They shouldn't have even taken the track. It's 4+ miles, right? Zero chance the cars, running behind the safety car in steady rain, were ever going to make a racing line. This one stinks badly.

If ever, what was the last F1 race that ended up with the promoter holding the bag for a non-race? Seems incompatible with the modern era focus on $$$.

TravelGal
08-29-21, 09:59 PM
If ever, what was the last F1 race that ended up with the promoter holding the bag for a non-race? Seems incompatible with the modern era focus on $$$.

Every one of the principles interviewed mentioned the commercial or economic aspects of not "holding the race." Like the Olympics, it had to go on. Unlike the Olympics, it was not satisfying or a success in any way. Okay, maybe for Russell.

SteveH
08-29-21, 11:14 PM
Evidently the race organizers didn’t have this. Or is this not a thing in Europe?

event cancellation insurance (https://www.eventinsurancequote.com/event-cancellation-insurance/)

opinionated ow
08-30-21, 01:45 AM
Evidently the race organizers didn’t have this. Or is this not a thing in Europe?

event cancellation insurance (https://www.eventinsurancequote.com/event-cancellation-insurance/)

I'm pretty sure its one of those tough luck things. i've never heard of anybody getting money back if a car race is cancelled due to weather in Australia (with the exception of Speedways which usually offer a raincheck if less than 5 heat races get completed).

WickerBill
08-30-21, 07:24 AM
Every one of the principles interviewed mentioned the commercial or economic aspects of not "holding the race." Like the Olympics, it had to go on. Unlike the Olympics, it was not satisfying or a success in any way. Okay, maybe for Russell.

All well and good. But why award points? There was no racing competition. I just can't wrap my head around pole position being worth zero points normally, and being worth 12.5 yesterday.

TravelGal
08-30-21, 02:51 PM

Most of the discussion I heard was about whether they could get enough corner workers on the Monday, a work day, and how could they find that out in advance. I had never realized how much the volunteers do for F1.

All well and good. But why award points? There was no racing competition. I just can't wrap my head around pole position being worth zero points normally, and being worth 12.5 yesterday.

I guess it comes down to how much qualifying means. I'm a relative newby to F1 so I can see most points of view. Servia didn't mind the points but was incensed that they had podium. I was surprised at that but I'm just sitting here with my popcorn.

Hard Driver
09-01-21, 12:38 PM

Completely agree. I understand the concept of half points for a rain shortened race. But there was no race to begin with. Following the safety car is not starting the race.

Doesn't the word "race" mean at some point the cars actually are allowed to try and pass each other. So that wasn't a race, it was a literal parade.

datachicane
09-01-21, 06:02 PM
Completely agree. I understand the concept of half points for a rain shortened race. But there was no race to begin with. Following the safety car is not starting the race.

Doesn't the word "race" mean at some point the cars actually are allowed to try and pass each other. So that wasn't a race, it was a literal parade.

I get the desire to reward the teams for their efforts and expenses over the weekend, but half points seems completely out of line for a safety car parade, regardless of length. Give pole three points, a point or two for the rest of the top 3 and call it a weekend when there's less than N laps of green flag.