PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robin Miller

rabbit
08-25-21, 12:06 PM
I am heartbroken. They say never meet your heroes. As a young sportswriter, Robin Miller was my hero. And I was lucky enough to one day call him a colleague. (Ever the dirt-track fan, he always called me "Limaland" when he saw me.) The last time I saw him, in 2019, we talked about how few true reporters there were left now that newspapers had all but died off. And now, Robin is gone, too.

When we spoke, it was late in the day on Saturday at the Detroit Grand Prix. It was raining heavily, and we were both focused on getting to our cars as dry as possible. I wanted to get a picture with him but thought, meh, we'll both be back here tomorrow. But Robin being Robin, he was all over the paddock, working on the next big scoop, and we didn't get a chance for that picture. I'll get him next year, I thought. Then COVID hit. Now this.

So do me a favor, if you could. If someone has inspired you, if someone has been a mentor who took the time to help you along the way, if someone means enough to you that it will leave a hole when they're gone, tell them now. Get that picture now.

RIP, Robin. You left a giant hole here.

devilmaster
08-25-21, 12:16 PM
A guy who called it like he saw it, like a fan who put the sport over the politics.

pfc_m_drake
08-25-21, 12:46 PM
I just read and came here to post. I am SO sad to hear this. He was the ONE person I could promise you that loved IndyCar top-to-bottom. And I genuinely don't know what the sport will do now that its biggest advocate in the media is gone. Condolences to his friends and family, which includes IndyCar fans everywhere.

RIP, racer.

:(

Mary
08-25-21, 07:02 PM
RIP Robin Miller. I am glad you got to go to Indy one last time; condolences to your family & friends.

pfc_m_drake
08-25-21, 07:38 PM
RIP Robin Miller. I am glad you got to go to Indy one last time; condolences to your family & friends.
Agreed.
Nice to see you here again. Wish it could have been under better circumstances.

opinionated ow
08-25-21, 08:47 PM
Wonderful tributes on both racer and speedsport. RIP Robin; you were an amazing writer and friend to many but always the voice of the people

nrc
08-25-21, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear it. I'm glad he was able to collect his laurels before the end. How many people in the sport didn't compromise their principles through that whole debacle? Paul Newman, Robin Miller, and Paul Tracy? I'm sure Miller would have a good laugh at being included in that group.

RIP

pfc_m_drake
08-26-21, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear it. I'm glad he was able to collect his laurels before the end. How many people in the sport didn't compromise their principles through that whole debacle? Paul Newman, Robin Miller, and Paul Tracy? I'm sure Miller would have a good laugh at being included in that group.

RIP
Maybe toss in Gerald Forsythe and Dale Coyne, and I think you've got a complete list.

I don't think people appreciate that with Robin gone, IndyCar's 'link' to the Mainstream Media is basically gone. I'm kind o already missing Robin's takes on things.

SteveH
08-26-21, 11:46 PM
The Athletic has unlocked a previously published article on Robin.

The preposterous sportswriting life of Robin Miller, racing’s legendary hellion (https://theathletic.com/1989025/2020/08/17/the-preposterous-sportswriting-life-of-robin-miller-racings-legendary-hellion/)

stroker
08-27-21, 06:58 AM

The preposterous sportswriting life of Robin Miller, racing’s legendary hellion (https://theathletic.com/1989025/2020/08/17/the-preposterous-sportswriting-life-of-robin-miller-racings-legendary-hellion/)

That was well worth reading. Thank you.

TravelGal
08-27-21, 01:48 PM

That was well worth reading. Thank you.

:thumbup::thumbup:

pfc_m_drake
08-27-21, 05:15 PM
Not sure how long this will be up, but Dave Despain has posted a video tribute:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcvyccn3s8jfxbz/RM_DESPAIN_TRIBUTE_TW.mp4?dl=0

I say 'not sure how long it will be up' because it's in dropbox. Grab it if you want it.

TravelGal
08-28-21, 05:13 PM
Not sure how long this will be up, but Dave Despain has posted a video tribute:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcvyccn3s8jfxbz/RM_DESPAIN_TRIBUTE_TW.mp4?dl=0

I say 'not sure how long it will be up' because it's in dropbox. Grab it if you want it.

:cry::cry: Thanks for that.

pfc_m_drake
10-05-21, 06:26 AM
IMS hosted a Celebration of Life for Robin over the weekend. It was iivestreamed by Racer and can be seen on their YouTube channel hre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaSIHcdQYps

It's a great tribute, and makes me appreciate just how much IndyCar, and all of us for that matter, are going to miss Robin going forward.

nrc
10-05-21, 09:29 AM
IMS hosted a Celebration of Life for Robin over the weekend. It was iivestreamed by Racer and can be seen on their YouTube channel hre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaSIHcdQYps

It's a great tribute, and makes me appreciate just how much IndyCar, and all of us for that matter, are going to miss Robin going forward.

Does this mean that he got his Indy press credentials back? I kind of tuned out there for a while.

pfc_m_drake
10-05-21, 02:53 PM
Does this mean that he got his Indy press credentials back? I kind of tuned out there for a while.Yeah, he's ben back at the Speedway for a while. I didn't follow exactly either, but at least since 2010 (when Randy Bernard took over from Tony).

opinionated ow
10-05-21, 07:39 PM
Yeah, he's ben back at the Speedway for a while. I didn't follow exactly either, but at least since 2010 (when Randy Bernard took over from Tony).

I'm pretty sure it was well before that because from what Randy said at the celebration, Robin took him around the track very early on in his time there (might even have been the first day).t

pfc_m_drake
10-05-21, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it was well before that because from what Randy said at the celebration, Robin took him around the track very early on in his time there (might even have been the first day).tYou're probably correct - no doubt. I just didn't specifically lo into it, but knew that Robin and Randy were friends and there's no way Randy a going to keep Robin out of the Speedway.

opinionated ow
10-05-21, 09:00 PM
You're probably correct - no doubt. I just didn't specifically lo into it, but knew that Robin and Randy were friends and there's no way Randy a going to keep Robin out of the Speedway.

I'm trying to remember who it was but one of the post-merger CEOs was told to avoid Miller at all costs (possibly by :tony:). To that boss's credit he sought out Miller and listened to everything he said and described it in one of the obituaries I read as the best thing he could have done. Randy certainly speaks fondly of the guy despite the public hanging of crap on him! I think one of life's great treats would be to join one of the "boisterous Borg-Warner" lunches as Marshall Pruett describes them with an amazing array of people from the history of the sport.

pfc_m_drake
10-07-21, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to remember who it was but one of the post-merger CEOs was told to avoid Miller at all costs (possibly by :tony:). To that boss's credit he sought out Miller and listened to everything he said and described it in one of the obituaries I read as the best thing he could have done. Randy certainly speaks fondly of the guy despite the public hanging of crap on him! I think one of life's great treats would be to join one of the "boisterous Borg-Warner" lunches as Marshall Pruett describes them with an amazing array of people from the history of the sport.
Thinking about it, I'm sure that Derrick Walker would have brought Robin back (Derrick served as CEO before Randy). That may be who you're thinking of, in fact. Bottom line - Robin was (quite rightly) back at the speedway for quite a while (after an underserved absence).

edit: after some more reflection, I think Derrick was actually after Randy. It appears that I've totally lost track of time.