PDA

View Full Version : Bob Jenkins has passed away

pfc_m_drake
08-09-21, 08:45 PM
Much preferred him from SpeedWeek on ESPN. Wasn't as good in his later years (IMO), but regardless - condolences to his friends and family.

Video from IMS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jy_9Hzrr4

SteveH
08-09-21, 11:19 PM
For me his best was when he was with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarret. Great group. Great chemistry.

pfc_m_drake
08-10-21, 05:01 AM
For me his best was when he was with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarret. Great group. Great chemistry.
Yeah, I think one of my favorite broadcasts was the 1995 Pepsi 400 (4th of July race at Daytona for NASCAR). This was also before they put the lights in at Daytona.

Anyway, in the booth was Jenkins, Parsons, and I think Ned was there to. They were on ESPN.
On ESPN2 simulcasting they had Dave Despain also doing the race, but it was an al in-car camera broadcast.

Interesting looking back the quality and level of commitment that the networks had to auto racing in those days.

nrc
08-10-21, 03:39 PM
I have fond memories of all the great races Jenkins called. Never my favorite but he was iconic. I think it lost some magic when I heard the same level of excitement over Sam Hornish as Rick Mears.

RIP